• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 9: Clemson Tigers at Littlejohn - Friday 7 pm

This one felt like the game at Syracuse last year. Tight at the half and then they were unconscious and we didn’t really have answers in the second half.

We also seemed slightly too low energy in the second half. The tough travel spot could have contributed, but who knows.

These games happen to every team. Whether it happens this once or 4-5 times will likely dictate our conference season and what this team’s season will look like.

I usually don't mind us shooting a lot of open 3s, but there were a ton of bad shots hoisted when we needed to run an offense.
This is one of my gripes about Forbes. He doesn’t seem too concerned about quick/bad threes. Although I did see him let Monsanto have it for shooting too quickly at the end of the first half. But poor shot selection has been an ongoing issue.

So, packing is now an issue?

Somehow, I just don't think this was an issue with John Wooden, Dean Smith or Coach K. Maybe I'm reaching here but I don't recall the logistics of packing being a cause of concern.
I think the quick turnaround absolutely was an issue. And is with most teams with back to back road games.

So, the bloom is off the Forbes rose as well? Just like Clawson?

Until the 1st TV to Forbes’ only move was monasanto out Davien in at 16:07.

Some fine coaching there when your team has lost the lead and given up 10 points. That’s only a 50 point half pace.

At least Forbes kept those timeouts for the end when it mattered.

I think we’ve seen enough this season to assume we have good guards (including Cam) ) and a very marginal post game. The key in my mind is the performance of the front line —Carr, Monsanto, Keller, Klintman will make or break the year.

I think we’ve seen enough this season to assume we have good guards (including Cam) ) and a very marginal post game. The key in my mind is the performance of the front line —Carr, Monsanto, Keller, Klintman will make or break the year.
I believe you are correct. Hope Marsh continues to improve and can score in the post/develop some moves down low on his own.

We have centers who can dunk and defend. We have Monsanto as a shooter. The other forwards are a mystery. I didn’t see Bobi’s big game but he hasn’t been great aside from that. Keller and Carr show flashes at best.

I’d be fine if Forbes went three guards more often with Appleby, Daivien, Cam, Monsanto, and Morse.

At this point Keller, Carr, and Klintman are tentative on the court, which is totally understandable given that two are freshmen , and none of have played at this level. You never quite know what you are going to get with the ball in their hands . Hopefully they will gain confidence , and physicality, as the season progresses.

We live by the 3 waaaay too much. Our 2 pt FG% is pretty good. No idea why we’re not trying to get the ball into the paint more often.

We live by the 3 waaaay too much. Our 2 pt FG% is pretty good. No idea why we’re not trying to get the ball into the paint more often.

It’s because our post players are limited by what they can do in the paint. They’re clearing hunting for alley-oops and entry passes to cutting Marsh and Bradford. They don’t have many post moves. Keller and Carr are limited post players. Neither seems like a good post passer who can anchor a halfcourt offense. I would like to see Cam keep posting up. He had some rough touches but it’s something he can keep working on to get points in the paint when Appleby’s dribble drive isn’t working and the alley-oops aren’t there.

We seem to shoot the 3 pretty well as a team when we take good shots - feet set, squared up, clean look at the basket. We just take too many 3s that are not that. But, I agree that we need to make more attempts to get the ball inside - either for scoring opportunities or to work the offense more inside-out.

I think the team was exhausted. Travel from Wisconsin most of Wednesday early morning (6 hrs or so on planes and buses). Sleep on plane? How much rest did they get Tues night/Wed morning? Not much.

Class attendance Wed? Decent night in own bed Wed night. Class Thursday? Travel to Clemson Thursday. Four - five hours on buses. Sleep in hotel bed.
Then try to play game Friday evening.

Recipe for tired team and bad play. Legs were gone second half, judging by how shots were mostly short.

Some fatigue would def make some sense. But man, that was an ass kicking. RIP Cam after that block. Won’t be able to look at him the same way now.

I think the team was exhausted. Travel from Wisconsin most of Wednesday early morning (6 hrs or so on planes and buses). Sleep on plane? How much rest did they get Tues night/Wed morning? Not much.

Class attendance Wed? Decent night in own bed Wed night. Class Thursday? Travel to Clemson Thursday. Four - five hours on buses. Sleep in hotel bed.
Then try to play game Friday evening.

Recipe for tired team and bad play. Legs were gone second half, judging by how
Team left WI around midnight and arrived back at INT (Smith Reynolds) around 3am

I don’t think fatigue would be the defining factor, but can def see how it is just one of the things that lead to it snowballing like it did, but damn, that was a bummer 2nd half.

So they got to see their beds around 4 am. Not much sleep that night.

Back