• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 9: @ Virginia Tech - Saturday 2 pm - ACCN

what's the road record Bzz vs Mann vs Forbes?

Conference road record:

Bz: 2-32
Manning: 6-49
Forbes: 2-9

Wish this win didn’t get overlooked because of the ACCCG. This was a fucking road beat down. Basically dominated from the tip. Aluma hit some 3s which he hasn’t done all year to keep them in it during the 1H. Was awesome to watch how easy our baskets were against a top 15 VT defense. Steve Forbes is the fucking man.

Last edited:
Man I forgot about this game, which I guess is understandable given what's going on today, but how the hell did we win by 20? How the hell did Walton score so many points to go along with his usual negative 4 rebounds?

Bears beat Pokes- check
Deacs beat Hokies - check
now the Deacs just have to beat Pitt.

Man I forgot about this game, which I guess is understandable given what's going on today, but how the hell did we win by 20? How the hell did Walton score so many points to go along with his usual negative 4 rebounds?

Bears beat Pokes- check
Before you crack on Walton, watch the replay and add in his great defense against NW. Game has many facets.

Bears beat Pokes- check

Walton was like a completely different player today. I didn’t even know what I was watching. Dude literally had a pump fake at the 3 pt line and finished at the rim. If we get more of that guy we could be real good.

Cam with some very nice offensive contributions and Carter played within himself mostly.

Last edited:
Can with some very nice offensive contributions and Carter played within himself mostly.

Literally everyone did their part today. Remarkably balanced win. This has a totally different feel from games where we had one guy just going off.

What is so impressive to me is how quickly Forbes literally cobbled together a bunch of players and then taught them to play as a team, both offensively and defensively. Even if the guys played out of their minds today and we may not consistently see this level of play, we’ve seen what can be. Thanks, Forbes and Currie.

I don't want to give any one game too much weight but this was definitely one of the most complete games since at least 2010 or so. It is likely also not a coincidence that it occurred the first season after Forbes was able to get a team that was mostly his guys.

Agree that we can't give any one game too much weight (ask Dave Odom after we hammered Kansas 84-53 some 21 years ago) - but we got a glimpse of what this team can be. Hildreth responded nicely after looking out of sorts against both LSU and Northwestern. LaRavia allowed the game to come to him after scoring only 1 point in the 1st half. Walton was solid. Williamson was clutch. Alondes' playmaking in the 1st half was splendid. Mucius and Sy had solid games. Great team effort. Va. Tech seemed really bothered when we had Walton, Sy, and LaRavia on the court at the same time. Super happy these guys were able to get such a solid win on the road. Great confidence builder.

We're not going to shoot 63.5% from the field each night. But if we play as unselfishly as was the case today, we could surprise a whole lot of folks.

Bears beat Pokes- check

This is why I go through the pain of putting our schedule in a calendar ICS and load to google calendar.

First on Walton, if he just pulled down rbs, could move us up a few spots in the conference. He shoots 3's ok, so they have to guard him, but he's not a big that sits on the 3 point line, get him the ball near the basked and he's going to slam it. He's not perfect but he's engaged plays within the system and always makes the effort. After so many head case big men, he's refreshing. He knows he's part of the process and seems to be involved in multiple ways.

We shot 72% from 3. Instead of sitting back at the 3 point line we moved the ball and got good shots. The offense was very balanced. Williams was dishing the ball, 9 assists, he made some sick passes that our guys actual caught and finished (remember all our teams that couldn't make a layup to save their lives, that's not this team).

Most games we've seems to lose focus on offense and the ball got stuck. Today we kept the offense going all game long. I'd say most of our TO's (only 10) were out of aggression. I don't remember a wtf TO. Mostly driving and trying to get out on the break.

My prediction, is that if LaRavia improves, he'll be either 1st or 2nd team All ACC before he leaves. He might be the most complete player we've had since? Chris Paul? Plays defense, scores inside and outside, can pass and can finish off of great passes. Oh and knows he's big enough to dunk.

Finally, in the first half, other than the odd non-3pt shooter going off, they were backdooring us to death. Forbes apparently made adjustments to stop that. Nice to see us actually adjust after the half.

LaRavia is already my favorite player in a long time. Just so controlled and patient.

This is why I go through the pain of putting our schedule in a calendar ICS and load to google calendar.

First on Walton, if he just pulled down rbs, could move us up a few spots in the conference. He shoots 3's ok, so they have to guard him, but he's not a big that sits on the 3 point line, get him the ball near the basked and he's going to slam it. He's not perfect but he's engaged plays within the system and always makes the effort. After so many head case big men, he's refreshing. He knows he's part of the process and seems to be involved in multiple ways.

We shot 72% from 3. Instead of sitting back at the 3 point line we moved the ball and got good shots. The offense was very balanced. Williams was dishing the ball, 9 assists, he made some sick passes that our guys actual caught and finished (remember all our teams that couldn't make a layup to save their lives, that's not this team).

Most games we've seems to lose focus on offense and the ball got stuck. Today we kept the offense going all game long. I'd say most of our TO's (only 10) were out of aggression. I don't remember a wtf TO. Mostly driving and trying to get out on the break.

My prediction, is that if LaRavia improves, he'll be either 1st or 2nd team All ACC before he leaves. He might be the most complete player we've had since? Chris Paul? Plays defense, scores inside and outside, can pass and can finish off of great passes. Oh and knows he's big enough to dunk.

Finally, in the first half, other than the odd non-3pt shooter going off, they were backdooring us to death. Forbes apparently made adjustments to stop that. Nice to see us actually adjust after the half.

Solid report. Thanks. 72% from 3 should win any game.

LaRavia is already my favorite player in a long time. Just so controlled and patient.

Same. He has such a complete understanding of the game. IAppreciateIt compared him to James Johnson and it’s starting to make sense. Shoots the 3 well enough, handles the ball on the break, great passer for a big. Obviously not that freak level of athlete but he does everything well.

Back