• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB: William & Mary @ WF -- 7pm ACC Network+ ESPN+

Glad for the win, of course.

But, we had 17 TO's; Laravia and Whitt had 9 of those (5 and 4 respectively). We were out-rebounded on the offensive glass.

But, we had 17 TO's; Laravia and Whitt had 9 of those (5 and 4 respectively). We were out-rebounded on the offensive glass.

Wake didn't miss a lot of shots. Hard to get offensive rebounds when you hit more than half of your shots.

It's interesting to look back at that Roster Construction thread.

Adding Williams guarantees we can have a 7 man rotation of players with some experience.

Whitt
Williamson
Williams
Monsanto
Mucius
LaRavia
Walton

One game in, the rotation is these guys (minus Monsanto), Sy who was about to commit, and Cam who played pro ball last year. It's a new experienced rotation, a concept that didn't exist in big-time college basketball until the last few years.

I see Cam Hildreth got a lot more minutes (22) than I expected. Will be interesting to see if that was because his Dad flew in for the game or if he has earned a significant role.

Whitt just dribbles too much and doesn't have the strength or handle to do so. Very good passer but needs to slow it down and not dribble with his head down like Brandon Childress. LaRavia had some sloppy passes and dribbling as well and should have the ball in his hands less when we're starting our offensive sets. The rebounding is my only real concern from tonight. Dallas just isn't a 5. He's a tall 4. We need someone who can actually hold a position on the low block to post up when we need to go to the well, box out on defense, and grab the occasional offensive board. He's too skinny and hangs out on the perimeter way too much. Personally I don't think he's valuable enough on the perimeter to justify leaving a black hole on the offensive block.

I thought Walton had more size and inside game than I was expecting. He was 3-4 inside the arc and had 4 blocks. He’s listed at 7-0/230, same as Jakob Poeltl.

I thought Walton had more size and inside game than I was expecting. He was 3-4 inside the arc and had 4 blocks. He’s listed at 7-0/230, same as Jakob Poeltl.

His length helps him recover defensively but he also allowed so many entry passes. Better and bigger opponents in Conference won’t have their shots blocked so easily.

Whitt just dribbles too much and doesn't have the strength or handle to do so. Very good passer but needs to slow it down and not dribble with his head down like Brandon Childress. LaRavia had some sloppy passes and dribbling as well and should have the ball in his hands less when we're starting our offensive sets. The rebounding is my only real concern from tonight. Dallas just isn't a 5. He's a tall 4. We need someone who can actually hold a position on the low block to post up when we need to go to the well, box out on defense, and grab the occasional offensive board. He's too skinny and hangs out on the perimeter way too much. Personally I don't think he's valuable enough on the perimeter to justify leaving a black hole on the offensive block.

hmmm....

https://godeacs.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/matthew-marsh/6480

Tale of two halves.

Impressive first half. GGTT on display. Wake defense dictated the action and Wake ball movement led to easy offense. I was excited to see what happens when the team plays Forbes defense.

The second half was a reminder of losing Wake basketball. Team willing to trade baskets for the first eleven minutes then deteriorated into a 10-0 WM run stopped by a Wake time out at 5:28. Wake D awoke forcing two turnovers, Williams with two dunks and WM brought in the scrubs.

Williams with an efficient 22 points to lead the team. Hildreth with a solid 10/5/4 plus defense effort. Whitt led the team with 7 rebounds.

I saw a team capable of a post season tournament in the first half. I saw a team with a losing record in the second half.

Alot of new pieces which means inconsistency for a while. The more game experience the more consistent we will be as players figure out their roles and each other's tendencies. Practicing against the same guys only takes you so far. I think Forbes said as much.

Every Manning coached team loses last night's opener. Already ahead of that situation.

I see Cam Hildreth got a lot more minutes (22) than I expected. Will be interesting to see if that was because his Dad flew in for the game or if he has earned a significant role.

I was one of the few at the game. Without knowing his stats, I was very impressed with his game. Plays hard on both ends, gets to the paint/rim and is not afraid of contact at all.

First half was really fun to watch. Glimpses of that in the second. Excited that we might have a team this year! Anyone think McCray would get more minutes than the final 2?

Cam is good. Energy and a bit of swagger that we sorely needed. I was there, while the second half was garbage, let's remember it was indeed garbage time. This year is going to be entertaining.

Cam is really, really savvy.

The only negative for him was that he had his "White Men Can't Jump" moment in his first game in front of his Dad.

Yeah, I think Cam is playing because he is good.

Even if his dad does not make the next game, he will probably get solid minutes because he is good and experienced and should be out there.

DUH!

Official attendance was 3,710.

I'm kinda shocked by that ... should I not be?

I'm surprised that there weren't more people there. I would have been there if I hadn't had a meeting rescheduled. I will definitely be there on Friday. Last season was the first in 45+ years that I didn't get to attend a Wake basketball game.

Back