• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB: William & Mary @ WF -- 7pm ACC Network+ ESPN+

Finally, somebody shares in surprise! haha.

I get the affect of the last 11 years, I really do -- I mean shit, I did write about 2,000 words about it in 2020 -- but I don't know, it seemed like there was generally more excitement. To the point about it looking the same as the exhibition: there was a difference of 44 people (exhibition was 3,754). And I realize Forbes has to win and build some stability to get people to come back. Just, hell, thought there was a little more of a floor.

Also, to the point on masks: Goddamn I'm tired of being masked throughout a game and being on Zoom for post-game interviews. Shit sucks.

(thanks for reading my TED talk)

I'm excited for Wake basketball for the first time in over a decade. I'd rather not wear a mask. I'm vaccinated but if wearing a mask helps keep others safe, I'm fine with it. I'm just glad to be able to go to a game.

The lack of attendance has more to do with mask mandate and people still concerned about indoor events than it does with the past 10 years. Hell, Bzzzdelek and Manning were getting 6,000-7,000 for OOC games.

The mask mandate has almost nothing to do with the lack of attendance. Attendance almost always lags behind wins. We are pumped and excited because we follow the details of the program. Casual fans don’t

People are still avoiding indoor events though. I was interested in going to Friday's game with some Wake friends but they aren't doing indoors yet, mostly bc they have a kid too young to be vaccinated.

Very sad to me. People that have that mentality are going to have a rough rest of their lives if this reaches endemic stage as is expected.

Very sad to me. People that have that mentality are going to have a rough rest of their lives if this reaches endemic stage as is expected.

When my kid is old enough to be vaccinated I’ll feel a lot more comfortable. Until then there are way too many jesus freaks down there shirking they vaccine for my liking.

The mask mandate has almost nothing to do with the lack of attendance. Attendance almost always lags behind wins. We are pumped and excited because we follow the details of the program. Casual fans don’t

Very accurate post. There were posters on this board three days ago asking who was even on the team this year and asking how we could be good if we lost all our "best" players from last year. The more hard core fans know about this team's potential but to win back the casual fans or disillusioned alumni we will need to win for a month or two. The four game stretch of Oregon State, Penn State/LSU, Northwester, and Virginia Tech is a crazy quick step up from our buy games. Win the buy games and go 3-1 in those 4 and we will have fans in the Joel. 2-2 in those four keeps the head above water and anything worse will be frustrating.

Wearing a mask at a Wake Forest basketball game would be an improvement from the brown paper bag I've been wearing for the last decade.

College basketball in general is a bad product, currently being trounced by college football. There needs to be massive rule changes.

For the last two months, COVID has been the #1 cause of death in the US for people age 35-54, and the #2 overall cause of death in the US (ahead of cancer and behind heart disease). I understand why some people currently choose to avoid large indoor gatherings.

College basketball in general is a bad product, currently being trounced by college football. There needs to be massive rule changes.

The main reason college football is so great is that players play for 3-4 years. You can get attached to a guy like Hartman the same way Wake fans did with CP3 or Josh Howard, etc. It will never happen but I really wish there was a way to make it like college baseball where if you decide to play in college you can't enter the draft for two years or something. Well couched, fundamentally sound basketball is why I grew up loving college ball, while the NBA was pick and roll and iso ball and increasingly about jacking up 3s. The college game was the purest form of the sport. Now with the game dominated by 18-19 year olds and no more CP3 vs JJ Redick type battles, it's just not the same. I love watching the Big East because for whatever reasons a lot of the players in that conference are great COLLEGE players whereas a lot of the ACC is guys looking to make the jump to the NBA asap. For example, Cole Anthony is a better NBA player than Miles Powell from Seton Hall, but Powell was a much better college player and played for four years, winning the love of a fanbase and providing consistency in the conference.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think masks should be required at our basketball games at this point. So, if you want to go to a game but don't want to wear a mask, buy a beer and keep it in your hand the whole time. If you're drinking, they can't ask you to put a mask on.

Granted I'm fully Vaxxed and will be getting my booster ASAP. If you aren't Vaxxed, wear a damn mask and don't ruin it for everyone else!
Some people like myself and my son, can't take the vaccine due to allergies and other medical issues, I would gladly wear a mask and would love to get my son back to a game, Because we can't take vaccine, should that mean we shouldn't be allowed to attend game even if wearing a mask? Are they requiring Vax cards or proff of to enter games?

I mean maybe you don't want to wear a mask at a wfu non conference game I can't imagine it would be too difficult to find your own section to sit in

For the last two months, COVID has been the #1 cause of death in the US for people age 35-54, and the #2 overall cause of death in the US (ahead of cancer and behind heart disease). I understand why some people currently choose to avoid large indoor gatherings.

Not to mention the short-term inconvenience of being diagnosed (even if you don’t have significant illness or pass to others). I’m trying to take all reasonable precautions to keep my kids, and their classmates, in school. There is certainly a spectrum of what people will consider reasonable.
I look forward to covid being endemic. NJ, I don’t think you fully understand people’s circumstances or where this is going. Don’t be sad. Families are prioritizing differently than you. We will see what happens through the holidays/winter but I am very optimistic beyond that.

For the same reason that it was William & Mary and I can't get too excited over this game, I also can't get too pessimistic when we played so sloppy in the second half after building up a 30 point lead.

But what I saw in the first half gives me reason for optimism. Yeah, I think the refs let us play more physical than they will in ACC play, but that having been said, we played legit team ball for the first time in years. Nobody really stood out, but there were a lot of really solid plays. Whitt had a couple eyepopping assists. Hildreth was fearless and tireless. Some of that stuff, like posting up/ducking under in the paint he will not be able to do against real competition, but I loved it regardless. The kid is gonna be good. LaRavia was good. Williams did what he does well, which is score in transition. Williamson looks quicker. We have a lot of guys who I would trust handling the ball right now, something else we haven't had.

Tough to tell much about our interior. Walton shot too many threes and was pushing dudes in the back but not getting called. Sy looked good. Mucius was not good and that's concerning. He just didn't look very involved. Ingraham looked stoned and played with a corresponding amount of energy. Really want to see Marsh get back and play.

We are going to pull off an upset or two this year.

Steve Forbes is such a likable guy. A breathe of fresh air for the Deacs.

The Joel is depressing. It sucks. No one is there just like has been the case for years. We need a smaller stadium when we are able to build it. Ron Wellman really screwed us buying that place--and paying millions--when no one else would have paid $1 for that hole.

I get nervous every game. I don't care if we were playing St Andrews School for the Blind. But with what Forbes has done with the portal I have faith in him there.

The Joel is depressing. It sucks. No one is there just like has been the case for years. We need a smaller stadium when we are able to build it. Ron Wellman really screwed us buying that place--and paying millions--when no one else would have paid $1 for that hole.

Fresh take. Any other thoughts about WF sports?

If we build it, will they come?

Back