• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Football Complex Announced

The last renovation under Grobe. Deacon Tower and the other changes to Groves. They were announced either during the 2006 season or shortly thereafter.

Is it me or do things appear to just be working better with Currie at the helm?

Certainly off to a great start. SID has seriously improved as well, the video/social production has gone up, fundraising killing it, and good performances on the field.

If anyone was looking for a strong statement from the university that it wants to keep Clawson, here is your answer.

Is it me or do things appear to just be working better with Currie at the helm?

Sounds more like a strong statement from McCreary. Of course the University will oblige spending Bob's money.

Bishop Kenney maybe? They did send us Wolford, though.

I feel like we went all in on dudes from Pahokee too after Phonso. Besides him, D.J. Boldin and Merrill Noel ended up being really good ACC guys, but it felt like we were signing 5 dudes from that HS every year.

We got Wolford and Chuck Wade from Bishop Kenny. One of their coaches was the coach of the freshman football team when I was in high school.

ETA: it looks like Chuck Wade is coaching there now.

Last edited:
Did Chuck Wade pass or catch the double reverse trick play that Clawson ran against Louisville when we were up like 3 scores in the 4th and just giving a Petrino a big FU?

I remember Chuck being a solid player for us, but that play sticks with me.

Also, when you think back on that, it's mind blowing that a group of 2 and 3 star HS recruits put together a good enough team to beat Lamar Jackson. I know he got his stats, but look at how dominant that dude is in the NFL. And little Ole' took them down.

Guys like Cortez Lewis, Chuck Wade, and Tabari Hines were good solid players. Hines in particular would have been a huge star in pretty much any other era. But man, the WR position has improved dramatically. 4* recruits. Likely NFL guys sitting behind NFL guys sitting behind NFL guys.

I'm a little confused. Is the indoor practice field the McCreary field? Like on the video that was just announced I thought that same building was announced years ago.

We got Wolford and Chuck Wade from Bishop Kenny. One of their coaches was the coach of the freshman football team when I was in high school.

ETA: it looks like Chuck Wade is coaching there now.

You’re thinking of Nease

I'm a little confused. Is the indoor practice field the McCreary field? Like on the video that was just announced I thought that same building was announced years ago.

It’s a new building. I assume WF will knock down the existing Pruitt football wing, but I’m not sure. The announcement says it will join with the Indoor facility and Sutton Center, but it doesn’t say where.

You’re thinking of Nease

I’m not thinking of Nease. Somebody else raised Bishop Kenny issue. I just happened to go there and kept tabs on the players from there.

The other school is Bartram Trail where we have gotten people.

This is really exciting and the timing seems perfect.

Thank you Bob McCreary for your amazing support of Wake Forest football!

Go Deacs!

Many, many thanks to Mr. McCreary for his investing in the players. Next Mr. Currie, find a booster(s) who is willing to step up and fund chair seating for the balance or majority of the stadium. If this thing is truly close to a sellout tomorrow, those of you who have not been to a game in a number of years will be surprised at how tight the seating is in the bleachers now. And I looked it up: the average male weighed around 168 lbs. when Groves opened; up to almost 200 now. So a sellout crowd today vs. 50 years ago means almost 20% more fanny girth in the same number of seats. Something's gotta' give.

Many, many thanks to Mr. McCreary for his investing in the players. Next Mr. Currie, find a booster(s) who is willing to step up and fund chair seating for the balance or majority of the stadium. If this thing is truly close to a sellout tomorrow, those of you who have not been to a game in a number of years will be surprised at how tight the seating is in the bleachers now. And I looked it up: the average male weighed around 168 lbs. when Groves opened; up to almost 200 now. So a sellout crowd today vs. 50 years ago means almost 20% more fanny girth in the same number of seats. Something's gotta' give.

That would reduce seating capacity. It did at Kenan.

Downside to chair seating is that three people can't pread out and share the space of four. If somebody is missing, that means an empty chair seat, instead of three people each being able to use 1 -1/3 seat space.

That would reduce seating capacity. It did at Kenan.

Which would be no problem at our stadium. As earlier posts revealed, we've sold out only and handful of times since 2006, and some of those claims are dubious. Anything that increases fan comfort for those who do bother to show up (on average in the 20-25K range) is a positive.

Which would be no problem at our stadium. As earlier posts revealed, we've sold out only and handful of times since 2006, and some of those claims are dubious. Anything that increases fan comfort for those who do bother to show up (on average in the 20-25K range) is a positive.

But the times they are a changing. Tomorrow and the State games will be COVID era sellouts. Support the Team!

Back