• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Meatball Ron DeSatan and his fascist band of cowardly Republicans

DeSantis is working with MLB to pay minor leaguers less than Florida minimum wage.

Major League Baseball wants Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Florida Legislature to let team owners pay their minor league players less than minimum wage.

The professional baseball league is lobbying Florida’s elected leaders for legislation that would cut baseball players out of the state’s minimum-wage law. That would allow MLB teams — all of which are owned by billionaires or near-billionaires — to get away with making minor leaguers work without salaries during key periods like spring training and fall instructional leagues.

MLB teams have historically refused to pay players outside the league’s roughly six-month regular season. That forces many minor leaguers — all of whom must practice and train year-round and most of whom will never actually make it to the big leagues — to survive on sub-poverty salaries that sometimes work out to less than $5,000 a year.

But last year, the league and its owners agreed to pay $185 million to settle a class-action lawsuit brought by minor leaguers who said MLB’s pay practices violated wage and hour laws around the country — including in Florida.

MLB tried to argue during that litigation that players were already exempt from the state minimum wage in Florida, where half of the league’s 30 teams have spring training and minor-league development facilities. But the judge presiding over the case rejected the league’s claim.

So now the baseball industry is turning to DeSantis and Florida’s Republican-controlled Legislature for help.

To muscle the minimum-wage carveout through Tallahassee, MLB has hired a lobbying firm run by a top fundraiser for DeSantis, the Republican governor who is preparing a run for president. The league’s roster of lobbyists includes DeSantis’ former chief of staff.

The legislation was filed on Feb. 16. The next day, records show, DeSantis received a $1 million contribution from Joe Ricketts, the billionaire patriarch of the family that owns MLB’s Chicago Cubs.

i can't even imagine a disaster so large that would push your average republican back to sanity.

in no particular order... insurrection and death threats to your vp didn't do it. paying hush money didn't do it. covid lies didn't do it. the train derailment that will harm the environment, people, and animals for years to come won't do it. dismantling the right to vote isn't doing it. a constant torrent of lies doesn't do it. zero party platform for two presidential elections didn't do it. suspreme court picks lying to dongress (I'll leave the typo because its sort of appropriate) during their testimony was a feature.

if anything meatball ronnie might actually put out a platform this time with 1 - always be owning the libs and 2 - cultural warfare and he'd probs turn that into a bonus.

Last edited:
Good overview of the conservative takeover of New College of Florida.

Church leader accuses DeSantis' of prioritizing presidential ambitions

Rev. Dr. John C. Dorhauer leads the church that helped found New College as a private school in 1960 before it became part of the state university system. He said he is outraged by what DeSantis is doing to the school.

"I want to express my moral outrage at Gov. DeSantis willing to compromise and sacrifice the future, the vision, the hopes, the dreams and the safety of the students on this campus for his aspirations to serve as president," Dorhauer said.

Dorhauer's United Church of Crist provided funding to create New College and church members were active in the school during its early days.

Dorhauer also spoke at the board meeting, where he told trustees that their actions will be judged harshly by history.

“The long arc of history will grind you into dust and... you will be remembered for the sycophants that you are," he said. "That’s what history does.”

romney won 47% of the vote against Obama. That was never going to be a win no matter who the republicans ran. He could definitely win today if nominated, but as noted supra, he has no chance to be nominated.

are there enough people in America who will fall for this shit? yeah, I know Trump won. but seems like more and more morons moved to FL after Trump was elected to get this asshole in office (witness his victory margins in his the 18 and 22 races).

but Trump has charisma and this well-known brand, plus so many people had baked in Hillary hate. is fucking Meatball Ron gonna get up there with his petty, whiny stances and win over enough people to get the White House?
Not likely. I think the meat grinder of a national campaign will, well, grind up Ron into a meatball. What a great nickname from trump.

i can't even imagine a disaster so large that would push your average republican back to sanity.

in no particular order... insurrection and death threats to your vp didn't do it. paying hush money didn't do it. covid lies didn't do it. the train derailment that will harm the environment, people, and animals for years to come won't do it. dismantling the right to vote isn't doing it. a constant torrent of lies doesn't do it. zero party platform for two presidential elections didn't do it. suspreme court picks lying to dongress (I'll leave the typo because its sort of appropriate) during their testimony was a feature.

if anything meatball ronnie might actually put out a platform this time with 1 - always be owning the libs and 2 - cultural warfare and he'd probs turn that into a bonus.

I'd argue with the "back to sanity" framing given that the bold, at least, have long been part of the party's plan.

Last edited:
Nope. In no way framing it as back to sanity. More like unable to justify the behavior so they aren't screaming from the mountain top. Looking for a candidate for pres with the same or worse beliefs that is... better dressed. Less obvious.

Still a lot of rank and file trumpers but leadership is avoiding cpac apparently.

So freedom of speech canceled just like our founding father's intended.

I hereby officially request the title be changed to reference Meatball Ron. It’s just too good.

Brett-Kavanaugh-600x800-c-default.jpg

"Constitutional" is only what 5 Supreme Court justices say it is. So if they say we have to register the First Amendment, but don't have to register the Second Amendment, that's what it is.

So is everyone from Florida a meatball now ? Meatball PhDeac ?

Back