• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Meatball Ron DeSatan and his fascist band of cowardly Republicans

The 2024 Republican presidential primary campaign is increasingly looking like a coronation, in no small part thanks to the implosion of Donald Trump’s would-be usurper, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
New polls this week lays bare just how poorly things have gone for the governor. While DeSantis arguably remains the biggest of the minor hurdles Trump needs to clear, his electoral case has effectively collapsed alongside his poll numbers.

The national polls from Fox News and Quinnipiac University show Trump expanding his lead over DeSantis to 47 and 50 points, respectively. Those are Trump’s largest margins to date in high-quality national polls of the race. And thus his lead in the FiveThirtyEight polling average has expanded to a whopping 41 points.

Seven months ago, before DeSantis announced his campaign, he had crawled to within just 2 points of Trump. On top of those two polls came a Washington Post/Monmouth University survey in South Carolina that shows DeSantis in fourth place at 9 percent.

Perhaps the bigger lesson from these polls is the utter loss of what was supposed to be the silver bullet for DeSantis: electability. Fresh off a resounding 2022 reelection win in a midterm campaign that was bad for Republicans and worse for Trump, the argument was right there for the making. But it has vanished.

The Fox News poll is one of the first to test not just a Trump versus President Biden matchup or even a DeSantis versus Biden matchup, but to pit all the top Republican candidates against the incumbent president. And of the seven? DeSantis actually fares the worst. Here is how that looks:

• Donald Trump +2
  • Nikki Haley +2
  • Mike Pence +1
  • Vivek Ramaswamy +1
  • Chris Christie -1
  • Tim Scott -1
  • Ron DeSantis -3

CNN also recently tested the same seven matchups. While DeSantis was closer to his competition, he performed worse than all except Ramaswamy. These are small margin-of-error differences. But the polls test the same universe of voters and compare how the candidates perform. In both, DeSantis fails to match the performance of his fellow Republicans despite having superior name recognition to all but Trump.
In the Fox News poll, Biden takes 42 to 44 percent of the vote when the alternative is not Trump or DeSantis, but 47 percent when it is DeSantis. A big reason for that? DeSantis has badly marginalized himself. While running hard to the right on issues such as vaccines and by using violent rhetoric, he has clearly and unambiguously alienated middle-of-the-road voters.

Those are just the marching orders out of Trump's mouth. He could sink any candidate on that list if he wanted. DeSantis was his biggest threat, thus he has focussed him. It will be interesting to see how he handles Haley and Pence if he ever feels threatened though, which I doubt he will. Ramaswamy is a lackey that just wants to be in the cabinet.

pro humanitate!
Gotta wonder if a school that sought more economic diversity might produce a greater diversity of political character. To my familiarity we seem to produce far more noteworthy right wing politicians and professionals than left, and our most notable liberal representatives are paid employees.

Those are just the marching orders out of Trump's mouth. He could sink any candidate on that list if he wanted. DeSantis was his biggest threat, thus he has focussed him. It will be interesting to see how he handles Haley and Pence if he ever feels threatened though, which I doubt he will. Ramaswamy is a lackey that just wants to be in the cabinet.
I can’t think of any other politician whose popularity nose-dosed as quickly as meatballs…don’t think that trump has anything to worry about from any pub candidates.

I can’t think of any other politician whose popularity nose-dosed as quickly as meatballs…don’t think that trump has anything to worry about from any pub candidates.
One that comes immediately to mind is Gary Hart, maybe? But it's not a long list.

At least that was due to a specific scandal, a dubious scandal but a scandal nonetheless.

At least that was due to a specific scandal, a dubious scandal but a scandal nonetheless.
I will say that Hart being photographed with his mistress sitting on his lap on a yacht called Monkey Business was just too perfect. The jokes just sort of wrote themselves.

Yep. DeSantis is likely just about done on the national stage. Which means he gets to go back to Florida to continue making more vulnerable people and group's lives miserable through 2026.

I will say that Hart being photographed with his mistress sitting on his lap on a yacht called Monkey Business was just too perfect. The jokes just sort of wrote themselves.

I saw or read something a few years ago that explained there was no evidence of an affair. It was based on a private investigator who was hired to follow Hart and Donna Rice went to his house. And there are allegations that picture was set up. Too perfect.

I’m not sure if Clinton wins in 1992 without Hart taking the hit in 1988.

I saw or read something a few years ago that explained there was no evidence of an affair. It was based on a private investigator who was hired to follow Hart and Donna Rice went to his house. And there are allegations that picture was set up. Too perfect.

I’m not sure if Clinton wins in 1992 without Hart taking the hit in 1988.
I don't think that Hart would have quit the race so quickly if there hadn't been at least something to it. If I remember correctly, polls taken before this incident showed Hart well ahead of George H.W. Bush for 1988, but after this news and the photograph were released Hart substantially dropped in the polls. Without this incident Hart would likely have been the Democratic nominee for 1988 and might well have defeated Bush, who was never all that popular to begin with - Dukakis was just a terrible candidate.

Gotta wonder if a school that sought more economic diversity might produce a greater diversity of political character. To my familiarity we seem to produce far more noteworthy right wing politicians and professionals than left, and our most notable liberal representatives are paid employees.

Well, Duke sought more diversity and they produced Mo Brooks, Rand Paul, Stephen Miller, and Richard Nixon. I can’t imagine a school producing a worse lineup than that.

Charlie Christ and Alex Sink in Florida were once Democrats.

Are there any other Wake grads in FL politics besides Ladapo and Erin K. Grall ('99)?

She's been out of politics since she ran for governor and lost some other races after that.

Politico article claims that Meatball's influence and power is rapidly declining in Florida, even among Republicans in the legislature and elsewhere. As his presidential campaign implodes, so does his clout in Florida.

LOL at coup. How will they actually drain his power over the next 2+ years? Sure he’ll have no power after he leaves office but will pass bills he doesn’t want and veto him?

Generally not one to seek this out, but I would love to see the X-ray of his leg showing whatever monstrosity his foot is contorted into with those risers in his shoes.

Back