• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Meatless Mondays

It always suprises me how many medical professionals are overweight. If they can't appreciate the need for healthy eating and exercise, that's gotta be a reflection of how screwed up we are as a society.

A large number of them are around unhealthy, sometimes dying, obese people all day. If that doesn't whip you in to shape then I have no idea what will.

Also, not to derail the thread, but it is wrong of me not to really trust fat nurses? I mean I know you took the courses and stuff, but you obviously were not listening to large chunks of the material.

I think people have a hard time with government telling them what they should/shouldn't eat, and that's fine.
I also think people have convoluted views of what constitutes a healthy diet.

Big changes need to happen, but people don't want to see it come from the government. I applaud Michelle Obama (healthy/fresh/local/fit focus) for her work and love that she's doing it and bringing it to light. However, I don't think any sort of sweeping reform can ever come from government. it's hard enough just ot change school lunches.
I just hate that this means politicians can't ever share their own beliefs on the matter for fear of upsetting constituents. It's like this oddly taboo subject.

Also, not to derail the thread, but it is wrong of me not to really trust fat nurses? I mean I know you took the courses and stuff, but you obviously were not listening to large chunks of the material.

i'm with you. i had to get my ankle X-rayed last summer, and the doctor was like four people in one. it made me incredibly uneasy. I guess not so much that I didn't trust her knowledge on bones, but just that someone in the health profession could be so... unhealthy.

I have issues with this as well. I also have issues when I know that the nurses barely passed high school.

I've been to a couple of restaurants recently and a person has walked in roughly the size of a house and it totally destroys the meal for me.

It's not that hard to not eat much meat.

And the health benefits are one part. Nobody is really talking about the food distribution or environmental issues at hand, which are the biggest reasons to cut back on meat, in my opinion.

Seventwofour, I agree with you that its not that hard to avoid meat, but that may be the reality of someone who knows more about nutrition than the average person. I think one of the most detrimental things we can do when talking about the obese or even more broadly, those with poor nutrition is beginning with the assumption that "It isnt that hard." I certainly don't mean to pull a tiny part of your post and attack just that as much as use it to start a larger point.

It is hard to go without meat when many are so accustomed to this idea that a meal is always supposed to be a meat, and two sides. Just the way we think about it always has meat as the centerpiece. As others have posted, for many americans that meat is not a healthy lean meat and no one gives it a second thought as to where it comes from. But back to it being hard. Education is so hard to come by with regards to nutrition. There are new commercials and books out every day advertising the next hot diet pill or book. There are advertisements telling us corn sugar is bad, corn sugar is the same blah blah blah. Its enough to make an even the educated consumer question what they know.

Making people more aware of what they eat is a first step, and while I don't necessarily agree with everything about meatless monday, I think Triple Meat Monday is just irresponsible garbage out of the representative referenced by the OP.

I think there is nothing wrong with the government pushing to create a healthier America. Unfortunately I have very little faith in their ability to actually fight against those who profit off of making people fat.

If ladies want to promote healthier living they should look towards having more casual meaningless sex. Its the most fun form of exercise for everyone involved yet we have this silly notion that planting our seeds should have an emotional attachment.

Ya don't know any fat Polygamists.

I'm with bransky... I'm on the low carb diet, which is what is still prescribed for level 2 diabetes patients, and I lost 20 pounds this summer, so far.

Just getting ready for all the beer I'm going to drink tailgating this season...

I think people have a hard time with government telling them what they should/shouldn't eat, and that's fine.
I also think people have convoluted views of what constitutes a healthy diet.

Big changes need to happen, but people don't want to see it come from the government. I applaud Michelle Obama (healthy/fresh/local/fit focus) for her work and love that she's doing it and bringing it to light. However, I don't think any sort of sweeping reform can ever come from government. it's hard enough just ot change school lunches.
I just hate that this means politicians can't ever share their own beliefs on the matter for fear of upsetting constituents. It's like this oddly taboo subject.

yeah this world needs more John C Calhouns

Back