• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MIA: WFU TEs

If we're never going to throw a pass to a TE and we need help blocking, then just give up the ghost and go with 6 OLs on the line each play.

Alternatively, if we occasionally threw a pass or three to a TE, it might keep the defenses a little more honest, instead of allowing them to focus entirely on the TB and featured receiver of the year (Boldin/Givens/Campanaro).

Looking back at how little the Lobo offense has utilized the TE over the past 6-7 years, I'm not optimistic that he's suddenly going to have the light bulb go on either later this year or next year when we have 2 RS Fr and another pair of true frosh on the roster. If anything, I'm concerned that if the light bulb does go on, it's going to manifest itself in something like putting the TE in motion to be the pitch man in a QB option, or giving the ball to the TE on a reverse.

So you are saying discard all evidence that confirms your buffoonery? How convenient.

No, I am saying if we played South Central Louisiana State University 8 times as a conference game, we would do as well as Utah. Show me a Big 6 conference team that has the limitations that we do that wins? Duke sucks, we have been better than Vandy. The only school that faces our limitations and wins is Stanford.

Our limits are imaginary. What do you need to win? A great coach who can recruit. How do you get a great coach who can recruit? You hire him.

We have a good coach who prefers one and two star players (God bless them, each and every one).

A great coach put his pants on just like Grobe -- one leg at a time. Once a great coach's pants are on, he wins more than 50% of the time.

What are our limits, anyway? I don't see any nobel prize winners on our sports teams. Do we suffer from academic restrictions any tougher than the rest of the ACC?

Using basketball as an example, Josh Howard scored a 500 on the SAT. Do we have some kind of Jim Crow rules on the two programs?

No, I am saying if we played South Central Louisiana State University 8 times as a conference game, we would do as well as Utah. Show me a Big 6 conference team that has the limitations that we do that wins? Duke sucks, we have been better than Vandy. The only school that faces our limitations and wins is Stanford.

Last edited:
Our limits are imaginary. What do you need to win? A great coach who can recruit. How do you get a great coach who can recruit? You hire him.

We have a good coach who prefers one and two star players (God bless them, each and every one).

A great coach put his pants on just like Grobe -- one leg at a time. Once a great coach's pants are on, he wins more than 50% of the time.

What are our limits anyway. I don't see any nobel prize winners on our sports teams. Do we suffer from academic restrictions any tougher than the rest of the ACC?

Using basketball as an example, Josh Howard scored a 500 on the SAT. Do we have some kind of Jim Crow rules on the two programs?

Soooo...again...name a coach that you think is capable of coming in, winning more the 50% of his games, and sticks around and doesnt jump ship to a bigger program?

What are our limits anyway. I don't see any nobel prize winners on our sports teams. Do we suffer from academic restrictions any tougher than the rest of the ACC?

OGB, I'm starting to appreciate your passion, albeit misguided. However, if you don't understand that there are limits we face in football, then I don't know what to say. Size of the school, lack of tradition, facilities (even with the tremendous upgrades to our stadium which we should all be extremely proud of) not on par with the big boys as a whole, academics, etc. Look I've been a Wake fan since I could walk, sure I'd love to have all the advantages of schools like Alabama, FSU, etc., but we don't and we won't. Look at similar sized schools like Duke, Rice, and Tulsa and the struggles they have in football. Tulsa I guess actually does pretty decent in football, but they play in a mid-major conference. Stanford has been the exception lately, but you don't have to go back many years and they were a doormat.

I'm not saying Jim Grobe is the end-all be-all, but the things he's accomplished here are unprecedented at Wake Forest, you do know that right or do I need to go through the long list of failed coaches we've had since Peahead Walker. Also before you spout off how we could upgrade our facilities if we weren't paying Grobe so much, may I point out that our facilities were total crap under many much less paid coaches and it was only until Grobe got here did we start to see major upgrades in facilities, so that argument doesn't mean crap to me.

Last edited:
Soooo...again...name a coach that you think is capable of coming in, winning more the 50% of his games, and sticks around and doesnt jump ship to a bigger program?

Simply, he can't. Heck, of the long list of coaches I speak of above, John Mackovic who was an alum no less and should've had some kind of emotional attachment to Wake, left as soon as he had the 1979 Tangerine Bowl year. For Grobe to have had the success he's had here and stay is the exception and certainly not the norm.

OGB, I'm starting to appreciate your passion, albeit misguided. However, if you don't understand that there are limits we face in football, then I don't know what to say. Size of the school, lack of tradition, facilities (even with the tremendous upgrades to our stadium which we should all be extremely proud of) not on par with the big boys as a whole, academics, etc. Look I've been a Wake fan since I could walk, sure I'd love to have all the advantages of schools like Alabama, FSU, etc., but we don't and we won't. Look at similar sized schools like Duke, Rice, and Tulsa and the struggles they have in football. Tulsa I guess actually does pretty decent in football, but they play in a mid-major conference. Stanford has been the exception lately, but you don't have to go back many years and they were a doormat.

I'm not saying Jim Grobe is the end-all be-all, but the things he's accomplished here are unprecedented at Wake Forest, you do know that right or do I need to go through the long list of failed coaches we've had since Peahead Walker. Also before you spout off how we could upgrade our facilities if we weren't paying Grobe so much, may I point out that our facilities were total crap under many much less paid coaches and it was only until Grobe got here did we start to see major upgrades in facilities, so that argument doesn't mean crap to me.

+1

Actually no. Yeah right now Baylor is pretty good, but go back a few years and they were a doormat. They got RGIII and turned it around, but even with a Heisman Trophy winner, they didn't sniff a conference title or BCS bowl.

We use T-Bo in the backfield all the time. Sometimes I wonder what games y'all are watching. Just because it's not the I-Formation doesn't mean that he isn't blocking.

I do like the pass plays to T-BO, the seem to be effective. Honestly, against FSU, it didn't matter if Wake had 5 T-Bo's in the backfield.

I do like the pass plays to T-BO, the seem to be effective. Honestly, against FSU, it didn't matter if Wake had 5 T-Bo's in the backfield.

I really like the way we're using Tommy. We seem to run so many 1 back sets, it took Tommy off the field so much last year, so by using him as an H-back he's on the field a lot more and if we can get him isolated against a safety or CB, he's a load to bring down.

They would do ok in the ACC.

But I get your point.

The issue I have with Baylor is they are >>> wfu in basketball too. Dammit.

Actually no. Yeah right now Baylor is pretty good, but go back a few years and they were a doormat. They got RGIII and turned it around, but even with a Heisman Trophy winner, they didn't sniff a conference title or BCS bowl.

I don't see success in football and success in basketball as mutually exclusive. I especially don't see Grobe as Wake coach and success in basketball as mutually exclusive.

Stanford doesn't have our limitations. Not even close.

What limitations are you losers talking about? What do you do when someone gives you a wedgie? PLEASE SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!!!!

We have money and that's all you need.

What limitations are you losers talking about? What do you do when someone gives you a wedgie? PLEASE SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!!!!

Well hell, if money is all it takes High Point University needs to start football now and they'll be in the BCS title game in no time!!!!:rolleyes:

OGB is to Wake athletics as DODO is to economics, politics or monetary policy.

This isn't the NFL where you can pay recruits(unless you are UNC). So we have money, yet you complain that we are spending too much on Grobe, and therefore not enough on basketball. Do we have money or don't we. How many kids out there grow up dreaming of playing for Wake? We basically take the left overs in NC after UNC and NC State. In FL, we take the left overs after FSU, Florida, Miami, and other big time schools that go in there. That's not changing any time soon. Yes, we occasionally win those recruiting battles(Noel), but it is rare and we really celebrate those guys.

Back