• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Michelle Obama gets into a scrap with Republicans

Incorrect. The MOST condescending thing is the message behind affirmative action. That's untouchably condescending.

The message behind affirmative action isn't condescending: "Go take aggressive action to hire people who don't look like you."

Your perception of affirmative action is condescending because you believe those people are generally not able to do the job.

So diet and exercise is to solving obesity as calling someone a victim is to solving privilege issues?

The message behind affirmative action isn't condescending: "Go take aggressive action to hire people who don't look like you."

Your perception of affirmative action is condescending because you believe those people are generally not able to do the job.

Once again, you've switched the labels on our arguments because yours is ugly and you know it. It is precisely because I believe that all people are capable of succeeding on an identity-blind math test that I want everyone's score to be weighted the same. You're offering up the sliding scale on a math test.

Any effort, undertaken by a group of privilege, on behalf of others less privileged, is condescending.

Backtrack from this statement to make your point, jh.

So diet and exercise is to solving obesity as calling someone a victim is to solving privilege issues?

I already told you your analogy sucked, yet you've managed to botch it even further. I'm selling the proven solutions of focusing on family and education and you're doing everything you can not to touch the third rail of personal responsibility. Did Ph lend you his label remover?

Once again, you've switched the labels on our arguments because yours is ugly and you know it. It is precisely because I believe that all people are capable of succeeding on an identity-blind math test that I want everyone's score to be weighted the same. You're offering up the sliding scale on a math test.

Everyone is capable but not everyone has the same structure. Also I don't think it really changes anything but PH is not just some random white guy throwing around condescension towards black people.

Any effort, undertaken by a group of privilege, on behalf of others less privileged, is condescending.

Backtrack from this statement to make your point, jh.

I appreciate your attempts to distort my argument away from the parts of it for which you have no answer by volunteering without need or solicitation (a very, very familiar template for you guys, see "jhmd logic....template") to dodge my point. Why not just address the fact that the condescending arguments are condescending? My guess is we both know that you know that some of these arguments are not just condescending but in fact openly racist. Defend your racial(!) sliding scale on a math test with a straight face. Bart Scott can't wait for that one.

I already told you your analogy sucked, yet you've managed to botch it even further. I'm selling the proven solutions of focusing on family and education and you're doing everything you can not to touch the third rail of personal responsibility. Did Ph lend you his label remover?

I just repeated back what you said about the analogy when you attempted to correct it. I have never once said nor would I ever say tht personal responsibility is not necessary

I just repeated back what you said about the analogy when you attempted to correct it. I have never once said nor would I ever say tht personal responsibility is not necessary

Then why do you guys wet yourselves in dismissing any attempt to argue it or incorporate it into policy as "bootstraps" [sic]? Ninth time: show me what has a better track record than functional families of origin and personal responsibility?

If you all insist on attributing sinister motives to my approach, then I need to know what better message you have than making personal responsibility not just a factor, but in fact THE non-negotiable factor. When we look at teenage pregnancy, allocate the causation between personal responsibility and history? Dropping out of high school? 11 dead kids in Chicago last weekend? If you believe in it, then why not speak that way (or at least not leap to condemn others who apparently you now admit to agreeing with)?

Last edited:
jhmd calls it switching labels because I know what affirmative action is and he doesn't.

jhmd calls it switching labels because I know what affirmative action is and he doesn't.

I want to take the labels off and actually look inside the contents of the jar. We don't need labels in a meritocracy.

Implicit to a meritocracy actually being applied consistently to all is equality of opportunity and underlying equality - for the thousandth time on this thread, this does not exist. You have to have some policies in place to provide for actual equality before you can then judge everyone on the exact same basis.

Implicit to a meritocracy actually being applied consistently to all is equality of opportunity and underlying equality - for the thousandth time on this thread, this does not exist. You have to have some policies in place to provide for actual equality before you can then judge everyone on the exact same basis.

Like remedial de jure racial discrimination, without regard to any other socioeconomic factor? Please tell me that's not your approach to equality.

On the food pyramid (to continue your obesity analogy), I'm putting functional families and achievement-based education accountable to the parents. If you build your base with something else, we're going to part ways. In my best Arlington, cheers.

African American families generally use corporal punishment more stringently than white families, especially in the South, to teach their kids to respect the privilidge of gaining extra attention from the authority.

I appreciate your attempts to distort my argument away from the parts of it for which you have no answer by volunteering without need or solicitation (a very, very familiar template for you guys, see "jhmd logic....template") to dodge my point. Why not just address the fact that the condescending arguments are condescending? My guess is we both know that you know that some of these arguments are not just condescending but in fact openly racist. Defend your racial(!) sliding scale on a math test with a straight face. Bart Scott can't wait for that one.

oh i'm doing reductio ad absurdum, your favorite

The AP Calculus tests are already graded on a sliding scale. This is already in practice and has been for a while.

...just throwing that out there.

The AP Calculus tests are already graded on a sliding scale. This is already in practice and has been for a while.

...just throwing that out there.

Sliding scale based on what? Racial, economic groupings or is it something else?

Back