• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Michelle Obama gets into a scrap with Republicans

I for one cannot believe the First Lady has the audacity to move for required healthy foods at school. Think about your position guys: you are against healthy foods in schools to make a political point about local autonomy in school systems. Sad really.

I assume people who share this point of view are consistent with their message when it comes to work and/or drug testing requirements for government assistance?

I guess if you are giving somebody something you can put conditions on the gift as long as they are free to accept or decline your proposition.

I for one cannot believe the First Lady has the audacity to move for required healthy foods at school. Think about your position guys: you are against healthy foods in schools to make a political point about local autonomy in school systems. Sad really.

Nobody is against healthy foods. Some are against one person forcing their idea of what is healthy food on another person.

I guess if you are giving somebody something you can put conditions on the gift as long as they are free to accept or decline your proposition.

Quiet. You will destroy the myth of the "free" lunches at school. Be a good little comrade and fall in line dutifully next time.

Nobody is against healthy foods. Some are against one person forcing their idea of what is healthy food on another person.

Right so local country bumpkin from Surry County on the school board has a far greater grasp of healthy foods than the First Lady.

So now we have:

1. Go local!
2. But don't force your concept of "healthy" on other people

You keep alluding to the idea of healthy foods being a matter of opinion rather than science.

Right so local country bumpkin from Surry County on the school board has a far greater grasp of healthy foods than the First Lady.

So now we have:

1. Go local!
2. But don't force your concept of "healthy" on other people

I'll defend Surry County and say that lots of people there eat food they grow, raise or hunt and probably eat healthier that those of us in larger counties.

No, you think about their position. Republicans have to start growing the tent again somehow. I'm gonna go ahead and say this is the most populist and popular position they've taken in years.

I hope they understand that by "growing the tent" they mean increasing headcount and not total volume.

I don't think anybody is attacking the First Lady because of her good intentions. When she turns those good intentions into dictates backed up by government force is where the problem comes in. Not everybody wants to eat (or is necessarily helped by) the diet Ms. Obama would like them to eat. As long as she makes it her personal recommendation, I certainly have no problem with it. But if she forces school districts to waste resources on food that children just don't want to eat, then I do see a problem. Just because something is good does not mean it is a good thing to force onto someone else.

If the old way was food that made them fat and sleepy, wasn't that wasting money too? Just cause a kid likes something doesn't mean it was good use of money.

If the old way was food that made them fat and sleepy, wasn't that wasting money too? Just cause a kid likes something doesn't mean it was good use of money.

I assumed that a man of your trade would promote the proliferation of doughy, oven-heated products in our schools.

Back