• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Michelle Obama gets into a scrap with Republicans

Bloomsberg's ban of big gulps was clearly an overreach and justifiably deserved all the criticism it received. Before any policies were even announced, Palin totally trashed Michelle Obama's desire to reduce childhood obesity. Why would anyone want to be against the principle of reducing childhood obesity?

Actually Big Gulp's were specifically exempted by Bloomberg.

I think this is the best initiative of the Obamas (collective) presidency. I do think it should be all healthy foods, with no options for crap. It's also a good economic decision because hopefully the school boards can cut supply deals with the local or regional farmers, instead of the taxpayers' cash just going to Frito Lay.

I think this is the best initiative of the Obamas (collective) presidency. I do think it should be all healthy foods, with no options for crap. It's also a good economic decision because hopefully the school boards can cut supply deals with the local or regional farmers, instead of the taxpayers' cash just going to Frito Lay.

Well said.

Seems more likely it'd go to ConAgra or something similar, at least in poorer districts. Gotta keep the costs at prison level lows, especially with all the hysterics around NSTAFL.

ETA: Which is not to say I disagree with your post. I agree 100%. Just gotta think the food kickbacks are gonna continue one way or another. Pretty sure WSFCS gets millions from Pepsi and Aramark for exclusive, long term contracts.

Last edited:
Seems more likely it'd go to Con Agra or something similar, at least in poorer districts. Gotta keep the costs at prison level lows, especially with all the hysterics around NSTAFL.

Eh, I think if there was a consistent demand that you would see some local farms that could compete on cost when you factor in the transportation costs. Unlike Walmart that is controlling its shipping from centralized locations along with all of its other crap that ConAgra can ship too easily, in this case you'd have each individual school district requiring its own supply of jus the food. SUre, some middlemen brokers would pop up to try to facilitate distribution, but I think you could work it out if it were structured correctly from the beginning.

ETA: building on the home ec concept, I think it would also be good if some school districts could grow some of their own food as part of the curriculum. Even in urban areas, eminent domain could be used on vacant land. No, not every kid needs to know how to be a farmer, but it is a class that doesn't cost much and teaches some good lessons related to a variety of classes (biology, history, geography, phys ed., etc).

Last edited:
Eh, I think if there was a consistent demand that you would see some local farms that could compete on cost when you factor in the transportation costs. Unlike Walmart that is controlling its shipping from centralized locations along with all of its other crap that ConAgra can ship too easily, in this case you'd have each individual school district requiring its own supply of jus the food. SUre, some middlemen brokers would pop up to try to facilitate distribution, but I think you could work it out if it were structured correctly from the beginning.

ETA: building on the home ec concept, I think it would also be good if some school districts could grow some of their own food as part of the curriculum. Even in urban areas, eminent domain could be used on vacant land. No, not every kid needs to know how to be a farmer, but it is a class that doesn't cost much and teaches some good lessons related to a variety of classes (biology, history, geography, phys ed., etc).

All makes too much sense.

This thread needs more hysterics. tj? Devil? Care to respond to any of this?

This reminds me of an episode of Anthony Bourdain where he visits a school outside Lyon France. The kids are served pumpkin bisque, a baguette, and some awesome desert all made fresh and from scratch. Oh the kids were also served at the table, and over 300 of them were served. I also remember in the show that this meal all cost less than an average American school lunch.

Pft, right. Be more like France. See how far that gets you.

Pft, right. Be more like France. See how far that gets you.

French kids eat a lot of beef tongue. I hope this is not in the upcomming mandates. I hate eating anything with tastebuds.

tongue02.jpg

I like that idea 2&2. Maybe even have cooking classes that prepare lunches one day a week, cut down on staff costs, hands-on learning about cooking for themselves rather than hitting KFC, teamwork concepts, time management, etc. I'm sure I haven't thought this through, but good post 2&2.

jhcmd could home school his kids and feed them there.

French kids eat a lot of beef tongue. I hope this is not in the upcomming mandates. I hate eating anything with tastebuds.

tongue02.jpg

Hard to tell when you're finished chewing.

Yes.

So do the Mexicans. :willynilly:

Seriously, though, when you eat tongue, there are no taste buds, noobs.

Need more organizations like The Green Heart Project, which was started in Charleston to more or less do what you've outlined. Website:http://greenheartsc.org/

What We Do: FARM-TO-SCHOOL

The Green Heart Project’s farm-to-school programs utilize urban farms as vehicles for teaching students the lessons of respect, teamwork, accountability and entrepreneurship as they work alongside volunteers in the gardens. The urban farms also serve as outdoor laboratories, perfect for reiterating classroom curricula in a hands-on fashion, connecting students with fresh, locally-grown and healthy vegetables.

He also hopes there are no spelling mandates. DON'T LEARN MAH KIDS HOW TO SPELL GOOD NEITHER YOU GUBMINT BASTARDS.

Back