• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Midterm election predictions

Who will win Congress?

• Dems retain House & Senate

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Dems win House / Pubs win Senate

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Pubs win House / Dems win Senate

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Pubs win House & Senate

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
not even totally sure how they estimate the % to be counted given that California mail-in votes can be post marked by election day.

Headlines suggest (some ) Republicans “turning on” Trump after midterm failings.

:rolleyes:

No shit, Trump’s a huge problem. Has been for freaking ever. Republicans, however, need to go WELL beyond scrutinizing and criticizing Trump and acknowledge how they set a course years before Trump’s rise to make that rise possible, even likely. And why/how even until now after his clearly horrific term in office they’ve yet to stand up to him.

Will they do this kind of collective introspection? And make politically healthy changes?

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Headlines suggest (some ) Republicans “turning on” Trump after midterm failings.

:rolleyes:

No shit, Trump’s a huge problem. Has been for freaking ever. Republicans, however, need to go WELL beyond scrutinizing and criticizing Trump and acknowledge how they set a course years before Trump’s rise to make that rise possible, even likely. And why/how even until now after his clearly horrific term in office they’ve yet to stand up to him.

Will they do this kind of collective introspection? And make politically healthy changes?

I’ll believe it when I see it.
No doubt many GOP leaders and right-wing talking heads and Fox News are turning on Trump, but they tried to stop him in 2016 and he rolled right over all of them. I have yet to see any real evidence that the base is turning on him, and that's all that matters. If lots of average Republicans start taking down their Trump flags and signs and putting up DeSantis ones, then I'll believe it. But I don't see that happening, no matter how much Frank Luntz or Chris Christie or some Never Trump Republicans claim it's happening.

Right. Trump commands the base and that’s not stopping.

I think Republicans will fall in line after the primary but it will be a brutal primary.

No doubt many GOP leaders and right-wing talking heads and Fox News are turning on Trump, but they tried to stop him in 2016 and he rolled right over all of them. I have yet to see any real evidence that the base is turning on him, and that's all that matters. If lots of average Republicans start taking down their Trump flags and signs and putting up DeSantis ones, then I'll believe it. But I don't see that happening, no matter how much Frank Luntz or Chris Christie or some Never Trump Republicans claim it's happening.

Data point of 1, but one of only 2 houses in my neighborhood openly supporting Trump just did exactly this. They moved a Trump flag almost completely out-of-sight into their backyard and replaced it with a "DeSantis Make America Florida" flag. We will see if house #2 follows their lead!

I’m curious to see how “Make America Florida” works nationally among people outside the Fox News bubble. Americans tend not to think fondly of Florida aside from tourist spots.

It works well in Florida from a state pride perspective.

It’s tempting to look at the results as a repudiation of crazies and fascists and election deniers, but I’m wondering how much fucking around with Roe cost the pubs this cycle

I’m curious to see how “Make America Florida” works nationally among people outside the Fox News bubble. Americans tend not to think fondly of Florida aside from tourist spots.

It’s the freedom state where we tell teachers everything they’re not allowed to do or say

It’s tempting to look at the results as a repudiation of crazies and fascists and election deniers, but I’m wondering how much fucking around with Roe cost the pubs this cycle

Why not both?

Both are the Republican brand.

Government is pretty much fucked for getting things done for the foreseeable future. The senate map for the democrats in 2024 is absolutely god awful. So even if you keep the presidency nothing is getting done until 2026 at the earliest.

Florida is awesome. Lots of the people living there...not so much.

Government is pretty much fucked for getting things done for the foreseeable future. The senate map for the democrats in 2024 is absolutely god awful. So even if you keep the presidency nothing is getting done until 2026 at the earliest.
Yeah, saw some tweets about how the Dems need to get a shit ton done in the Lame Duck session. Especially like raising the debt ceiling and passing a budget.

Seems incredibly likely that a lot of MAGA Republican voters are going to quietly switch their allegiance to DeSantis in the coming months so that Trump is discouraged from running again.

Back