• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mistrial in Baltimore

Not guilty on all charges. General consensus was that this case was the strongest. Marilyn Mosby (State's Attorney) has completely bungled this process.

total sh*t show by Mosby and then was on her 15 min of fame tour for it.

Mosby is an excellent demagogue and an awful lawyer. The State's ME thought this was an accident and Mosby never actually did an independent investigation. She just started charging cops. This was her strongest case and it was a total joke. How does she still have a job?

sad part is when we talk about the "sharpton's of the world" this is what we mean. Jump in mob justice mentality. Play to everyone's emotions and be out front getting all the praise of being so moral and just only to slink into the shadows when the wheels fall off. Rinse repeat. The left will step over the destruction with no apologies and move on to the next opportunity. She should face criminal charges.

Another acquittal today. Of course Mosby doesn't try these cases, but apparently she didn't even post for the court's ruling. Must be fun to work in that office.

Moron prosecutor finally throws in the towel, but not without blaming everyone other than herself for this fiasco.

Moron prosecutor finally throws in the towel, but not without blaming everyone other than herself for this fiasco.

oh ya she actually stood up there and was proud of her shit show. well done Mosby well done.

she sounds more like a social activist and that is fine but no place in the prosecutors office.

Pos rep to the Stringer in the courtroom tag by the way. I think he was the only one she didn't blame.

Figure this is worth posting over here as well.

This damning report on policing in Baltimore dropped yesterday, and got completely overlooked with Trump and the Olympics. http://time.com/4445943/justice-department-baltimore-police-freddie-gray/
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-doj-report-20160809-story.html

CNN has helpfully provided a TL;DR summary of the Baltimore report here: http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/us/baltimore-justice-department-report/index.html

I mean, if you are that 50-something year old black man, how can you possibly have any faith left that the police department is interested in protecting you as opposed to just hassling you? It's hard for me to imagine a middle-class white person being stopped 30 times in their entire life.

This damning report on policing in Baltimore dropped yesterday, and got completely overlooked with Trump and the Olympics. http://time.com/4445943/justice-department-baltimore-police-freddie-gray/
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-doj-report-20160809-story.html

CNN has helpfully provided a TL;DR summary of the Baltimore report here: http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/us/baltimore-justice-department-report/index.html

I mean, if you are that 50-something year old black man, how can you possibly have any faith left that the police department is interested in protecting you as opposed to just hassling you? It's hard for me to imagine a middle-class white person being stopped 30 times in their entire life.

For example:
• About 44% of those stops occurred in two small predominantly African-American neighborhood that contain only 11% of the city's population
• Hundreds of individuals were stopped at least 10 times during this period, and seven were stopped more than 30 times
• Only 3.7% resulted in citations or arrests
• From 2010 to 2015, prosecutors and booking supervisors rejected more than 11,000 charges made by BPD officers because they lacked probable cause or did not merit prosecution

Among the investigation's findings:
• African-Americans accounted for 95% of 410 individuals stopped at least 10 times from 2010 to 2016
• One African-American man in his 50s was stopped 30 times in less than four years; none of the stops resulted in a citation or criminal charge
• African-Americans accounted for 82% of all BPD vehicle stops though they make up 60% of the driving age population in the city and 27% percent of the driving age population in the greater metropolitan area
• BPD officers found contraband twice as often when searching white individuals compared to African-Americans during vehicle stops and 50% more often during pedestrian stops

The BPD is no model of law enforcement, but neither is any other Baltimore government agency. Baltimore is a horribly run city across the board, yet the same buffoons are re-elected year after year and poor minority residents bear the brunt of it. Now the feds come in and tell us the police are profiling blacks. Who knew? Cleaning up the police department is a laudatory endeavor, but it would be nice to see some balance. Who is paying attention to the problem of crime by blacks against blacks in places like Baltimore and Chicago? Seems like the "Justice" Department could look at that too but they don't. If the cops' stopped and arrested blacks in precise proportion to their percentage of the population beginning tomorrow would that improve things in any appreciable way? Since Ferguson cops are backing off and the crime rate is escalating. So we can all feel really good about that.

Well cops are supposed to pay attention to crime, but according to the DOJ, they're not.

Justice Department runs wide-spread investigations of police departments since it's about the enforcement of justice. Didn't realize this was particularly controversial.

I think the answer isn't to shift the policies towards equal policing, like the same dumb tactics but proportional to percentage crime rate by race or population isn't going do anything. The idea should be to end the dumb policies in the first place, the looking for trouble instead of responding to trouble as one example.

The BPD is no model of law enforcement, but neither is any other Baltimore government agency. Baltimore is a horribly run city across the board, yet the same buffoons are re-elected year after year and poor minority residents bear the brunt of it. Now the feds come in and tell us the police are profiling blacks. Who knew? Cleaning up the police department is a laudatory endeavor, but it would be nice to see some balance. Who is paying attention to the problem of crime by blacks against blacks in places like Baltimore and Chicago? Seems like the "Justice" Department could look at that too but they don't. If the cops' stopped and arrested blacks in precise proportion to their percentage of the population beginning tomorrow would that improve things in any appreciable way? Since Ferguson cops are backing off and the crime rate is escalating. So we can all feel really good about that.

The correlation here is unproven. This seemed to be the best discussion of the issue that I found:

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/23/11722634/ferguson-effect-richard-rosenfeld

German Lopez: There are two theories for the Ferguson effect. One is that police have been scared by criticism and are pulling back, and that's leading to more crime. The other is that Black Lives Matter protests have reinforced community distrust, which has boiled over, leading to community members taking the law into their own hands since they can't trust police. Which one of these do you think has more credibility, in light of your research?

Richard Rosenfeld: I find the second somewhat more plausible. But I have to say that we don't have the data yet to fully evaluate them. Well, let me qualify that a bit: We do have the data — the FBI has the data, but it won't release year-end data until sometime next fall.

So we can evaluate the depolicing argument, right? If depolicing is occurring and it comes with pulling back, we should expect arrest rates to be declining in those cities where we've seen very sharp increases in homicide.

Now, there is a paper out of Johns Hopkins [University] that looks at that in the case of Baltimore, and finds a "Freddie Gray effect" in Baltimore — that is, he finds declining arrest rates associated with increases in homicides in Baltimore [after Freddie Gray died in police custody, leading to protests and riots]. In one other city, Chicago, I'm prepared — although we don't have systematic evidence that I'm aware of — to believe that something like depolicing is contributing to more homicide there.

But I don't know that that's the case in any other city.

Back