• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mistrial in Baltimore

In the ongoing witch hunt, the second cop to go to trial was acquitted. Prosecutor now zero for two. Not that anyone is still paying attention.

Technically, that's 0 for 1 because the 1st case can be retried. But yes, I saw this in the news today. OTOH, yeah, she probably won't win any of them if the 1st case was her best case. The blurb in today's news wasn't much, but I found 1 thing interesting. NPR reported it was a bench trial. In VA, either the prosecutor or defense attorney can request a jury trial. I would think that's the same in MD and most every other state. I can see why the defendant would want a bench trial - he'd want a dispassionate judge rather than a potentially emotional jury determining his fate. But assuming the prosecution there can ask for a jury, WHY TF wouldn't she ask for a jury? There is a lot you can criticize her for in her handling of these cases to begin with. But it's insane to take a case like this to a judge as opposed to a jury.

Still waiting for a definition from simos.

When someone injects race into a situation and presumes guilt to mobilize a community, race and party and or to benefit financially. This is especially exposed in duke lacrosse incident, mike brown etc etc. It is careless and destructive to a country and after the facts come in and or they are not clear they never apologize and just move on to next opportunity. It's devisive and destructive to all races as it takes away from real issues and turns people off. It does have the desired effect to keep their voters and get the vote out but as you can see its beginning to tear the US apart. I know I am so dumb and none of this makes sense. I am sorry I just am trying to get better.

Someone tell all these black people getting abused and killed by police to stop being black

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Someone tell all these black people getting abused and killed by police to stop being black

Nope tell the sharptons of the world not to exploit their experience and emotions

25 years old....and had already been involved in 20 criminal court actions.

The culprit that drove him to a life of crime must've been all that systemic racism.

How would you characterize the "sharptons" of the world? Just to help me tell them all.

Maybe later i will play your let me try and prove you're a racist game but I'm gonna watch the raps cavs game for now.

Maybe later i will play your let me try and prove you're a racist game but I'm gonna watch the raps cavs game for now.
Have at it. I doubt you approve of many politically outspoken black civic leaders. Maybe while you're watching all those young black millionaires, you can think of some modern politically active black civic leaders that you approve of. Here is a list to start with: Deray McKesson, Ta Nehisi Coates, Cornell West, Van Jones, Henry Louis Gates, Michelle Alexander, Benjamin Jealous.

All people with nearly the same mission as Sharpton, just without the celebrity.

Or tell them not to commit 20 crimes by the time they are 25 years old. That would solve their police problem, too.
20 crimes? I'm sure the black community would take that deal over the current arrangement.

Technically, that's 0 for 1 because the 1st case can be retried. But yes, I saw this in the news today. OTOH, yeah, she probably won't win any of them if the 1st case was her best case. The blurb in today's news wasn't much, but I found 1 thing interesting. NPR reported it was a bench trial. In VA, either the prosecutor or defense attorney can request a jury trial. I would think that's the same in MD and most every other state. I can see why the defendant would want a bench trial - he'd want a dispassionate judge rather than a potentially emotional jury determining his fate. But assuming the prosecution there can ask for a jury, WHY TF wouldn't she ask for a jury? There is a lot you can criticize her for in her handling of these cases to begin with. But it's insane to take a case like this to a judge as opposed to a jury.

Can the prosecution overrule a defendant's request for a bench trial? Trial by jury is a constitutional right that can be waived by a defendant, so why would the prosecutor get to demand one if the defendant doesn't want one?

Cesar Goodson (the driver of the van) will have his verdict delivered by the judge today at 10:00 a.m. Lots of news media in downtown Baltimore today.

Not guilty on all charges. General consensus was that this case was the strongest. Marilyn Mosby (State's Attorney) has completely bungled this process.

or didn't bungle?

She charged these guys with serious criminal offenses before determining (or finding) whether there was enough evidence for conviction. It's a Duke lax type scenario. This was all for political grandstanding and people's lives have been ruined because of it.

She charged these guys with serious criminal offenses before determining (or finding) whether there was enough evidence for conviction. It's a Duke lax type scenario. This was all for political grandstanding and people's lives have been ruined because of it.

Yeah, but they raised a lot of awareness. That's the participation trophy that goes hand-in-pitchfork with each successive identity politics witch-hunt fail.

Back