• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mod fight on DeaconSports Premium!

Comparing what Lucas Caparelli did to current players saying stupid shit on twitter is ridiculous. You're completely right about it being infamous, but it doesn't really apply to the current debate about athletes on social networking sites. It's probably a good thing that Lucas posted that shit, instead of being secretive and actually doing it when no one suspected. I wish the Columbine dudes would have posted about their shit on facebook, and maybe all those kids wouldn't have died.

First of all Chin, I was responding to the fact that you said that nothing noteworthy or infamous had ever been said on a social networking-type site by Wake Forest athletes. You were obviously incorrect, so admit it!

The problem with your statements is that they are all all-or-nothing. If you just said 'in my opinion', or 'sometimes' or any other sort of qualifier in order to not act like a smart-ass, people would take you more seriously.

As to the last part of the quoted statement: Caparelli isn't a murderer and comparing him to the Columbine kids isn't fair. I never liked the guy personally, but that is totally out of line. In addition, the fact that he wrote something ridiculously stupid on facebook is analogous to the issue at hand.

If you don't agree with me about Wake athletes on twitter or facebook, that's fine. We're totally allowed to have different viewpoints, but your not serving any purpose by continually insulting my intelligence. I've got no beef with you, and I've never said any negative thing about you, besides to defend myself. I got to Wake Forest the same why everyone else did, with high test scores and good grades.

First of all Chin, I was responding to the fact that you said that nothing noteworthy or infamous had ever been said on a social networking-type site by Wake Forest athletes. You were obviously incorrect, so admit it!

The problem with your statements is that they are all all-or-nothing. If you just said 'in my opinion', or 'sometimes' or any other sort of qualifier in order to not act like a smart-ass, people would take you more seriously.

As to the last part of the quoted statement: Caparelli isn't a murderer and comparing him to the Columbine kids isn't fair. I never liked the guy personally, but that is totally out of line. In addition, the fact that he wrote something ridiculously stupid on facebook is analogous to the issue at hand.

I said that you were right in my previous response, which means that I was wrong. I never said Lucas was a murderer. I said he could have been if he had gone through with what he said he was going to do, but he was stopped first. I wish the Columbine killers had been stopped before they did what they did. I think if someone threatens to blow up or shoot up a school, I'm allowed to group them together. I wouldn't group Lucas with a random football player saying that his position coach is an asshole on twitter though. That's two completely different leagues of stupid.

Last edited:
Please address your posts to individuals by either quoting their posts or using their names.

I never said he was a murderer. I said he could have been if he had gone through with what he said he was going to do, but he was stopped first.

Classic Chin move, replying to an irrelevant part of the post and ignoring the argument being made.

I never said he was a murderer. I said he could have been if he had gone through with what he said he was going to do, but he was stopped first.

Alright. But that is beside the point.

What Caparelli (a Wake Forest athlete) posted on a social networking-type site was infamous and noteworthy. He is a perfect example of an incident where the mixing of internet and athletes portrayed Wake Forest in a negative light, got the athlete in trouble with the University and the local police, and eventually ended up in his transferring/being sent down.

Now we agree that this is an unusual and extreme case, but it is simply wrong for you to ignore this specific incident in the course of the general argument.

Alright. But that is beside the point.

What Caparelli (a Wake Forest athlete) posted on a social networking-type site was infamous and noteworthy. He is a perfect example of an incident where the mixing of internet and athletes portrayed Wake Forest in a negative light, got the athlete in trouble with the University and the local police, and eventually ended up in his transferring/being sent down.

Now we agree that this is an unusual and extreme case, but it is simply wrong for you to ignore this specific incident in the course of the general argument.

You're seriously pounding this point into the ground. A player made a post on a social networking site which was noteworthy and infamous. I don't think it portrayed Wake in a bad light, it portrayed Lucas as an individual who needs psychiatric help. I wouldn't group Lucas's post with a random football players tweet saying that his position coach is an asshole. Those are two completely different leagues of stupid, and don't need to be mentioned together.

Maybe I don't understand your point. If your point is that it happened; Yes it happened, I agree with you, and I was wrong for saying that nothing had happened. If your point is that it (Lucas's post) is relevant to the debate, I completely disagree.

Last edited:
It's not like twitter and facebook just went live [...] Players have been talking shit on twitter for 3 years now, and nothing any of our players has said or done has been noteworthy or infamous.

Just to return the discussion to where it was before it was unnecessarily derailed.

Your statement has been proven to be incorrect. And although it didn't get a significant amount of press (bad or good) the volleyball/soccer facebook scandal was pretty significant and Wellman very nearly canceled the seasons for both sports the year after we won the national championship!

You're seriously pounding this point into the ground. A player made a post on a social networking site which was noteworthy and infamous. I don't think it portrayed Wake in a bad light, it portrayed Lucas as an individual who needs psychiatric help. I wouldn't group Lucas's post with a random football players tweet saying that his position coach is an asshole. Those are two completely different leagues of stupid, and don't need to be mentioned together.

He's "pounding this point" because that's what initially started arguing with you about. You made an argument in your post, he gave an example to prove that wrong, and you wouldn't accept that you were wrong.

He's not trying to argue your whole position, just the one part he called you out on.

He's "pounding this point" because that's what initially started arguing with you about. You made an argument in your post, he gave an example to prove that wrong, and you wouldn't accept that you were wrong.

He's not trying to argue your whole position, just the one part he called you out on.

Exactly Nonny, thank you.

Chin, I generally agree with you that the crap that gets posted on twitter/facebook is no big deal and we shouldn't be freaking out about it. I disagree only where you claimed that Wake Forest had never had an incident involving social networking before.

Exactly Nonny, thank you.

Chin, I generally agree with you that the crap that gets posted on twitter/facebook is no big deal and we shouldn't be freaking out about it. I disagree only where you claimed that Wake Forest had never had an incident involving social networking before.

Ok, cool. You were right about their having been some pretty notorious shit posted by a Wake athlete recently, I had forgotten about Lucas's deal.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FearTheDeaconChin again."

lol

It is funny people are ripping on FTDC (of whom I am not a huge fan) for the comm. college thing.

Just as a hypothetical, which would be worse: starting out at a community college, getting into Wake, and remaining in good standing (did FTDC graduate or is he still in school?); or getting into Wake out of high school because one's dad works there, not being able to hack it and quitting, then getting a degree from a glorified CC like UNCC or somewhere? It's a toughie and I'm not sure there's a clear answer.

Back