• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Model Minority Myth

I think its fantastic that Wooderson with a silver spoon is on here giving people life advice.

I would think that a guy who was so screwed up he had to date a high school girl while in college, somehow managed to avoid Vietnam despite his purported humble upbringing, drifted around aimlessly like George W. Bush after his military service ended, was bailed out when his future father-in-law gave him a cushy office gig, then took over the company under mysterious circumstances and rode that gravy train (along with the mortgage-free house he came across) to financial stability would be a little more grateful for what he has and a little less judgmental of others.

Of course I also wouldn't look people in the eye and brag about my financial largess when my second career consisted of screwing old people out of the equity in their homes. Shame does not appear to be a tool in bkf's arsenal.

Why do you liberals hate the idea of traditional families so much? A strong, supportive family unit seems to have been a pretty good indicator of future success & happiness in life in this country over the last 200 years or so....yet liberals seem to prefer irresponsible behavior and perpetual government dependency as a better choice.

they are afraid that they will be accused of being judgmental of poor minorities and being racist

Why do you liberals hate the idea of traditional families so much? A strong, supportive family unit seems to have been a pretty good indicator of future success & happiness in life in this country over the last 200 years or so....yet liberals seem to prefer irresponsible behavior and perpetual government dependency as a better choice.

I think you have this all wrong and are just throwing your own hypothesis is place of truth. We already know that, per population, republican states receive more federal funding, most Americans on disabilities, highest % of unemployment, have higher % of single mother households, most divorces...I could probably continue but I think I have proved my point.

it seems to me that Republican love to say that it is a liberal issue but in turn are worse and just don't even care about the truth. It is time to stop blaming everyone else and look in the mirror and think about cleaning up your own house before throwing rocks at glass houses.

I think its fantastic that Wooderson with a silver spoon is on here giving people life advice.

I would think that a guy who was so screwed up he had to date a high school girl while in college, somehow managed to avoid Vietnam despite his purported humble upbringing, drifted around aimlessly like George W. Bush after his military service ended, was bailed out when his future father-in-law gave him a cushy office gig, then took over the company under mysterious circumstances and rode that gravy train (along with the mortgage-free house he came across) to financial stability would be a little more grateful for what he has and a little less judgmental of others.

Of course I also wouldn't look people in the eye and brag about my financial largess when my second career consisted of screwing old people out of the equity in their homes. Shame does not appear to be a tool in bkf's arsenal.

I'm not taking that reverse mortgage bait. It looks like you would have figured that out by now, as many times as you have cast that line into the water.

they are afraid that they will be accused of being judgmental of poor minorities and being racist

Well, isn't it true that you are a racist if you do not support the concept of perpetual government dependency?

At least that's what I've been told by many posters on this board, so I figured that it must be true.

I think you have this all wrong and are just throwing your own hypothesis is place of truth. We already know that, per population, republican states receive more federal funding, most Americans on disabilities, highest % of unemployment, have higher % of single mother households, most divorces...I could probably continue but I think I have proved my point.

it seems to me that Republican love to say that it is a liberal issue but in turn are worse and just don't even care about the truth. It is time to stop blaming everyone else and look in the mirror and think about cleaning up your own house before throwing rocks at glass houses.

That would have been tough for bkf for the vast majority of his adult life, given he lived in someone else's house.

Well, isn't it true that you are a racist if you do not support the concept of perpetual government dependency?

At least that's what I've been told by many posters on this board, so I figured that it must be true.

Perpetual government dependency? You mean like states run by Republicans? They have been dependent on states run by Dems for decades.

There are a lot of things that stupid poors (your words, not mine) need to do, PH. At the top of the list in your case is stop whining that systemic racism is the cause of all their problems.

BKF was trying so hard to remain calm, but this post finally showed the crack in the armor.

Systemic racism exists and is a huge problem whether you are Pub or Dem. Cite all the family studies you want, but black people will always have fewer opportunities and less mobility than whites until we admit fully that the system is rigged against them and try to do something about it.

BKF was trying so hard to remain calm, but this post finally showed the crack in the armor.

Systemic racism exists and is a huge problem whether you are Pub or Dem. Cite all the family studies you want, but black people will always have fewer opportunities and less mobility than whites until we admit fully that the system is rigged against them and try to do something about it.

All of this has to do with their inability to stay off of drugs or producing children before they get a Wake Forest degree though.

The fact that BKF can't even see the privilege that comes with the statement of "I managed to get my business degree from Wake that made me the best candidate for the job at 26" is pretty much a conversation ender. If you can't recognize that not everybody has the chance, opportunity, or a shot in hell at attending Wake Forest to get a business degree, then it's pointless.

Yet, the millennials on here are the ignorant, entitled, condescending ones. Great one.

All of this has to do with their inability to stay off of drugs or producing children before they get a Wake Forest degree though.

The fact that BKF can't even see the privilege that comes with the statement of "I managed to get my business degree from Wake that made me the best candidate for the job at 26" is pretty much a conversation ender. If you can't recognize that not everybody has the chance, opportunity, or a shot in hell at attending Wake Forest to get a business degree, then it's pointless.

Yet, the millennials on here are the ignorant, entitled, condescending ones. Great one.

well if your parents didn't split you wouldn't be in this predicament

Privilege? I didn't get into WF because my family had a lot of money....which isn't the case with students today, by the way. My father never made over $7,500 per year. I went through my entire 4 years at WF without ever having a car for transportation. I seldom had more than $5 in my pocket while I was at WF.

Let's see a show of hands here. How many posters spent their four years at WF without a car to drive? Speak up. We have several thousand registered posters on these boards. I'd like to get a head count on how many people went to WF for four years and never had a car to drive while they were there.

Maybe they are playing the odds, the more woman they are with the more likely they will eventually be gifted everything in life from one of them that does have a father.

Privilege? I didn't get into WF because my family had a lot of money....which isn't the case with students today, by the way. My father never made over $7,500 per year. I went through my entire 4 years at WF without ever having a car for transportation. I seldom had more than $5 in my pocket while I was at WF.

Let's see a show of hands here. How many posters spent their four years at WF without a car to drive? Speak up. We have several thousand registered posters on these boards. I'd like to get a head count on how many people went to WF for four years and never had a car to drive while they were there.

How the fuck do you know if people on here got into Wake because their parents had money? Do more people go to Wake Forest who are above the average median income in America? That's something you can look up to find the answer. That doesn't mean that people got in BECAUSE their family had money. Just typical correlation vs. causation logical fallacy.

When I applied there wasn't a "fill in your family income" box that came with SAT score, high school grades, and EC activities.

You're making ridiculous generalizations based on preconceived notions that you have of people on here.

I have voted for several Republicans who think we should spend money differently. Jack Kemp was a great example of someone.

I understand you have a caricature of Republicans as homophobic, puppy-kicking Jesus freaks. The reality is quite different, of course, but I am beginning to believe that many are more comfortable with the caricature. It is easier and supports their self-image. And besides, the policies they support might work. So there's that.

Jack Kemp ain't walking through that door

Jesus Christ.

Well, you guys are the ones that keep talking about fathers in law. I was simply pointing out in response to the asinine question that people who aren't married don't have fathers in law. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the mother fucking kitchen.

Back