• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Model Minority Myth

for you to think someone's post is valid

You misread my intent. The more you know about a poster, the more information you have regarding how seriously to take anything that poster says. Anonymous posters can...and do...say anything. Therefore, if you don't know anything about a poster, it would be best to simply ignore anything they say about any subject.

Somebody talked about working part-time at the YMCA. I don't consider that a real job for a college graduate. Other than that, I don't remember.

I have 4,000+ posts showing now and haven't deleted any post for nearly two years now, so if I've made "hundreds" of posts on this subject you should be able to easily find one.

If you can't find a job in your chosen field and work part-time at the Y to make ends meet then I have no idea how that isn't a "real job".

What an elitist thing to say.

You misread my intent. The more you know about a poster, the more information you have regarding how seriously to take anything that poster says. Anonymous posters can...and do...say anything. Therefore, if you don't know anything about a poster, it would be best to simply ignore anything they say about any subject.

Yeah and if their profile doesn't fit your preferences, you'll think their posts are invalid. Sounds like that's exactly your intent.

I worked seasonally for the Y right after graduating. It was all I could find in my chosen career field. I was not married at the time, so I didn't have the easy out of my FIL's commercial construction company.

Neither did I. My father-in-law never had a commercial construction company. And since the job that did come open nearly five years later wasn't open at that time, I took a job....full time....as an administrative trainee with Burlington Industries. What is the rule that you must work only in your "chosen field"...even if no jobs are available in that field? Or that the only field you are willing to work in is one that requires two more graduate degrees?

bob, do you think the founders were on the right track when they only allowed property-owning males to vote?

Yeah and if their profile doesn't fit your preferences, you'll think their posts are invalid. Sounds like that's exactly your intent.

To be fair, that's exactly how many of know we shouldn't take him seriously.

Somebody talked about working part-time at the YMCA. I don't consider that a real job for a college graduate. Other than that, I don't remember.

I have 4,000+ posts showing now and haven't deleted any post for nearly two years now, so if I've made "hundreds" of posts on this subject you should be able to easily find one.

I am admittedly very bad at using the search function on the boards, so it would require a lot of manual labor to find the actual posts, but I'll do my best.

Neither did I. My father-in-law never had a commercial construction company. And since the job that did come open nearly five years later wasn't open at that time, I took a job....full time....as an administrative trainee with Burlington Industries. What is the rule that you must work only in your "chosen field"...even if no jobs are available in that field? Or that the only field you are willing to work in is one that requires two more graduate degrees?

Yeah doctors are morons! All that extra time in school earning their doctorates is time they could have been training as an admin!

You'll get a lot of <EOM> but you can find ppl who quoted him. It's not worth the effort though. Why anyone would give a shit what he thinks is beyond me.

Yeah, it's hard to search with the deletions.

I was pretty sure it came up with in a Brasky argument, but don't remember when/what thread it was.

There are some hilarious quotes from a thread he started on a "political ideology test" thread. I'll quote the post that he said JHMD was his polar opposite in pretty much every way.

Yeah doctors are morons! All that extra time in school earning their doctorates is time they could have been training as an admin!

Seems to me that before you pick a field to go to the time & expense of getting a doctorate degree in, you should determine if there are going to be jobs available for you in that field. Some of us had to pay the bills after graduating and did not have the luxury of going to school for another 4 years or so because that was our "chosen field" and we didn't want to lower ourselves to working in another field where there are actual jobs available. This is just an extension of that "entitled" feeling from people who go to $60K per year colleges.

bkf, your smug self-satisfaction is sad. You hypocrisy is next level.

Good luck.

Seems to me that before you pick a field to go to the time & expense of getting a doctorate degree in, you should determine if there are going to be jobs available for you in that field. Some of us had to pay the bills after graduating and did not have the luxury of going to school for another 4 years or so because that was our "chosen field" and we didn't want to lower ourselves to working in another field where there are actual jobs available. This is just an extension of that "entitled" feeling from people who go to $60K per year colleges.

Many of us paid bills while we were in graduate school.

Considering there was a recession between the time that most of the "smug, elitist, millennials" were choosing their majors/careers and actually graduated to take a job in that field, it would have been quite difficult to do.

Also, here is a post from BKF from a few years ago on the Electoral College:

The President is the only person who is elected by all of the people in this country and can reasonably lay claim to any kind of national mandate.....because of what has happened over the years regarding how congress is elected and who its members represent. The House of Representatives was supposed to represent the will of all the people as it was originally envisioned.....but it has been gerrymandered to such an extent that such a claim no longer holds any real meaning. The proof of that was in the 2012 House elections when The Democrats won a total of 1.4 million more votes from the people....but the Republicans won something like 33 more seats. How in hell does that represent the "will of the people"? And, of course, the Senate can in no way claim to represent the "will of the people" when you have a situation where California & Wyoming are each represented by two members in its body.

So, therein lies the problem. We need checks & balances, of course, but we need to somehow make the congress more representative of all the people if it is to have any fair claim to deserve equal power with a president who was elected by every voter in the country. And right now, any idea that Congress fairly reflects the will of the American people on a "one person, one vote" basis is totally unfounded.

i think it's weird for a septuagenarian to judge a persons' 'career' when they're in their 20/30s; what if the part-time job at the Y blossoms into running the organization in his/her 60s?

bkf, your smug self-satisfaction is sad. You hypocrisy is next level.

Good luck.

After I shut the door and started back to the living room, he yelled something at me, but I couldn't exactly hear him. I'm pretty sure he yelled "Good luck!" at me. I hope not. I hope to hell not. I'd never yell "Good luck!" at anybody. It sounds terrible, when you think about it.

My FIL has a commercial construction business.

I took a job out of college in the field I was interested in which paid enough for me to live and provided room and board to supplement. It was seasonal work, but it got me through until I started grad school a year later.

In grad school, I worked a fellowship with Goodwill working on youth workforce development programs for inner city kids. That fellowship paid my tuition and stipend for a year. For the remainder of grad school, I worked full time for the Y while taking classes at night.

Back