• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Model Minority Myth

i think it's weird for a septuagenarian to judge a persons' 'career' when they're in their 20/30s; what if the part-time job at the Y blossoms into running the organization in his/her 60s?

According to Republicans, the first job you have out of college is the one that sticks with you.

Hence President Obama being perennially known as a "community organizer.

i think it's weird for a septuagenarian to judge a persons' 'career' when they're in their 20/30s; what if the part-time job at the Y blossoms into running the organization in his/her 60s?

Or you are just waiting in the shadows for an untimely death. Why put the effort into establishing your own career when you can party and play video games all day knowing that at some point in the future you will be handed your success future for free with minimal to no effort.

Or you are just waiting in the shadows for an untimely death. Why put the effort into establishing your own career when you can party and play video games all day knowing that at some point in the future you will be handed your success future for free with minimal to no effort.

young bkf liked pinball machines

I have since recanted those views.

Oh we are well aware of that. It doesn't change you from sounding insanely hypocritical though.

I am glad to hear that you aren't backstroking on it....you simply changed your entire views over the span of a year in your 70th? (guessing) year on Earth.

That's a bit strange, but roll tide Bob!

One more thing --- it's pretty hard to take anything you say seriously when you can just, on a whim, decide to believe the polar opposite. Discussions are rather difficult when you deal with somebody who isn't very rooted in their beliefs, and are liable to change based on what "young liberals" have to say on a message board. Not to mention you supposedly don't care at all what we think or say, yet it managed to change your entire worldview.

Schrodinger's Young Liberals - Changing BKF's ENTIRE mindset on the world while simultaneously having absolutely NO impact on him whatsoever.

Last edited:
You'll get a lot of <EOM> but you can find ppl who quoted him. It's not worth the effort though. Why anyone would give a shit what he thinks is beyond me.

Exactly! Now we're getting somewhere....and I would even take it one step further: Why would anyone give a shit about what any anonymous poster thinks about anything?

Seems to me that before you pick a field to go to the time & expense of getting a doctorate degree in, you should determine if there are going to be jobs available for you in that field. Some of us had to pay the bills after graduating and did not have the luxury of going to school for another 4 years or so because that was our "chosen field" and we didn't want to lower ourselves to working in another field where there are actual jobs available. This is just an extension of that "entitled" feeling from people who go to $60K per year colleges.

See look this post is a perfect example. DF07 posted something about his chosen field and you're jumping all over it. Now next time he posts something you disagree with, you'll basically write it off as invalid because you don't agree with how he spent like a year after college.

you realize any 'non-anonymous' poster could just lie about all of your required demographic info, right

Exactly! Now we're getting somewhere....and I would even take it one step further: Why would anyone give a shit about what any anonymous poster thinks about anything?

Well I have given you my background, and I fully know yours, so I wouldn't consider us "anonymous" to one another.

See look this post is a perfect example. DF07 posted something about his chosen field and you're jumping all over it. Now next time he posts something you disagree with, you'll basically write it off as invalid because you don't agree with how he spent like a year after college.

That's not it at all. The problem is WF grads thinking that they are entitled to work in a particular field that they like...even if there are no jobs there. I've read several posts on the boards regarding the need to get post-graduate degrees for some particular job.

And that speaks to the difference in financial circumstances among WF grads now and WF grads from years ago....along with the massive difference in undergrad costs. Most WF grads from back in those days simply could not afford to turn their noses up at certain jobs and certain careers for 3 or 4 years just because that wasn't their "chosen field". I think it also speaks to the difference in attitudes among the different generations as well.

That's not it at all. The problem is WF grads thinking that they are entitled to work in a particular field that they like...even if there are no jobs there. I've read several posts on the boards regarding the need to get post-graduate degrees for some particular job.

And that speaks to the difference in financial circumstances among WF grads now and WF grads from years ago....along with the massive difference in undergrad costs. Most WF grads from back in those days simply could not afford to turn their noses up at certain jobs and certain careers for 3 or 4 years just because that wasn't their "chosen field". I think it also speaks to the difference in attitudes among the different generations as well.

Why do you give a god damn about what people today are doing?

If people choose to wait out a job for their chosen field and instead want to volunteer and work part-time, then who the fuck are you to turn your nose up at them?

I don't know who you are talking about. I took a job in my chosen field right after college. Well a month or two after graduation. I have been employed every day since then. Going on 10 years now.

Well I have given you my background, and I fully know yours, so I wouldn't consider us "anonymous" to one another.

I'll give you credit for that....as far as it goes....though I would say that you know quite a bit more about me than I know about you.

Sometimes I like it when there's a smart person with whom I disagree. I like to hear their arguments, especially if they're well-articulated. Doesn't matter who the person is, but that's the sweet spot of the internet, finding something you didn't know or had never considered.

You're going to have an extremely difficult time finding anyone as smart as you are to discuss anything with, Townie.

Other than esteemed Wake Forest graduate BillBrasky who on these boards do you have in mind when talking about the lazy, party it up, millennials?

Bump?

Also, RChildress107 drew BKF's ire for working at the Y while saving for grad school, or whatever. What a smug elitist asshole role-modeling for kids...

Back