• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Bothersome Wake Forest Development in the last 12 months? Pit/Tunnels Adjace

now we get into this. . . lets just not.

I didn't talk trash about anyone else's faith, we were describing how the univ changed. don't accuse my faith of something, or me, when you really don't know.
I didn't "trash" your faith. I stated that I think it's reasonable to believe that being affiliated with the Baptist church was, at one time, a good thing and probably helped lead to a lot of the good changes that you mentioned, while also believing that the disaffiliation was good for Wake Forest moving into the future since the views of the University and the views of the Baptist church clearly do not align anymore.

giant church looming over campus
yes the Wait family and their church in New Bern helped open the school (Wake Forest Manual Labor Institute) because there was a need for baptist clergy in the area

Last edited:
good, we got a history lesson today! lol

my point was not to take it in this direction. . . back to sports!

however, full disclosure, I am Baptist clergy myself, and am willing to talk to any of you at any time, especially if you need anything or I can be of service!

many things in society have distanced themselves from the church. it’s my personal belief that this is a good thing. I would not have attended an institution that was explicitly more religious than Wake, and we already have plenty of symbols that show our roots and has more weight than you might think.

many things in society have distanced themselves from the church. it’s my personal belief that this is a good thing. I would not have attended an institution that was explicitly more religious than Wake, and we already have plenty of symbols that show our roots and has more weight than you might think.
yes, actually most thing in society have, its the culture's natural bend.

Understand the perspective, thanks

It's interesting to see how much the dominant upper crust academia has moved away from strong ties to religious based institutions compared to the demands of some local governments to openly acknowledge strong linkages to religious institutions in spite of legal restraints.

Is Notre Dame ranked lower because of its strong tie to Catholicism? Is Brigham Young University ranked lower for similar reasons? It is my assumption that regardless of how strong WF is linked to Baptists or Christianity (or not at all) the rankings would not be impacted unless those links impose upon academic freedom of thought and association.

The strength of bond to Baptists as opposed to other denominations may have been an impediment to advancing WF simply because of the impact on WF arising from the historical demands of that bond and the external perceptions of that bond even after many changes in that relationship. As an example, when a school prohibits non-Christian professors, Trustees, advisors and Presidents, you immediately reduce your pool of benefactors and students. That is just the way the world turns. You can either be in the world or not so much. And long after removing such restrictions it is very difficult to change the external perception of such a place.

Yeah, that's kind of what the rankings are pointing out though, right? In the 70's Wake cost like $3K a year. It now costs $70K+.
But Wake is far from unique in that regard - the cost of a private school education has increased dramatically across the board.

Our alums and administrators simply will not adapt to a changing landscape.

This mentality has left our athletics and our alums income in the dirt.

If there was a category for “staying true to the ‘values’ of the Eisenhower era” we would dominate.
Top 29 for 30 straight years. The crazy new criteria are the only things that have changed since Sept of 2022.

Some would recognize that endeavoring to treat all others with respect (love) (LGBTQ equity, DEI initiatives, etc.) is Christian (and Pro Humanitate) in its best sense.

Ceaselessly chasing after prestige, the praise of people and money however...

Income is now included in the Wall Street Journal rankings where we also plummeted.

We still value small class size and encouraging folks to save the world and be broke.

The rest of America just does not share our values. We are now Swarthmore. I guess that’s good if you share those values.

If you want to go to a school in the top 25 by any objective metric and go get a real job in the current version of America, we are no longer that school.
Don’t say “we”. You are a Dookie.

Pretty sure there's a difference between an ass and an asshole.

But you're both in the running for poster with the thinnest skin. And grabbing a post from two months ago is like jilted girlfriend shit.
What’s the difference between an ass and an asshole? All asses have holes.

Back