• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Bothersome Wake Forest Development in the last 12 months? Pit/Tunnels Adjace

Class size was very important to me because all the folks in education told me how important it was. It never dawned on me that they were in education for a reason. Now that I'm in the real world I see first hand that was a giant myth.

My best classes at Wake, Duke and UNC had lots of folks in them whom I built relationships with. I became a multimillionaire leveraging those relationships. I have not a damn clue what they taught in the classes and I can assure you Russian history won't help you in life. Even if taught by a dude talking to 20 hungover students as opposed to 100.
so what you were looking for was a country club not an education. Got it

We used to be #1 in the south for 10+ straight years on that list, before we jumped to the National Universities list. Some schools on that list have law schools (like Washington and Lee). I wonder how it is determined which list a school is on?
W&L is a national university. So is Bill and Mary.

Do Wake grads actually make less than students from other schools when controlling for field of study, location, or any other relevant factors? If so, I would tend to somewhat agree with you but I haven't seen that data and don't care to search for it.

If we have a higher percentage of students majoring in humanities or other soft sciences that don't pay as well then it makes sense we would have a lower average income then other schools. How do we compare in income if we compare by major? I think that's the more applicable measure.

And specifically for donaldross, what factors made you decide to attend Wake? Do you think you would be better off if you had chosen a different school?
I went for the debate team. Got in about half the top 30 and Wake had a top debate program and also had big time college basketball. I would have gone to Duke undergrad if admitted. That's true of half of you, you just won't admit it. If Wake had been ranked 48th I would never have even applied. Some of you may like that. You like excluding the country's top candidates and taking it back to old school admitting friends of buddies from the South. There is something to be said for that too. But what we are choosing to dig in now will eliminate most folks like me from looking at the school so, it is true, that more our buddy's kids will be admitted.

I mean I basically agree that a numerical ranking of 1 to whatever is pretty silly, but, this particular ranking carries a lot of weight in the circles of kids looking at colleges. So, accurate or not, it matters.
If you don't want to nitpick 28 versus 47, or whatever, do you think the schools ranked around us now are correctly deemed our peers versus the schools that were formerly ranked in the same range as us?
Phrase the question however you want - are we actually a tier 3 school instead of a tier 2 school?
The lesson should be that these rankings can be tweaked any number of ways to yield different outcomes. If I had access to US News data and I wanted to produce a tool that was actually helpful to prospective applicants and their parents, I'd allow students to set their own weights to make a custom ranking. They can use that to guide their own process.

Your question seems to be if this year's pretty silly rankings are more or less accurate than last year's pretty silly rankings. BC, Tufts, and University of Rochester seem like pretty solid comps for Wake. It was always weird that a private Research 2 university like Wake was considered a peer of private AAUs like Vandy, Duke, and Northwestern. P5 athletics (particularly football) and cost are the main explanations for that.

Don't you mean multibillionaire? Multimillionaires are those idiots on the PGA Tour that didn't jump to LIV. Clearly, you are more successful than those loyal dolts.
Not a billionaire yet. But not done yet. Would help if you would stop choosing such horrible unders to bet on every week !

Do you think that it is possible to make quantitative or qualitative comparisons between universities? If yes, isn't then possible to generate rankings reflecting those evaluations? Obviously there is ample room for debate as to the correct metrics and methodologies, and to debate marginal differences in the evaluations, but it strikes me a odd to deny its possible to rank universities. Maybe the term "accurately" is the key or are you rejecting rankings categorically?
You can rank anything. There is plenty of data for "quantitative or qualitative comparisons." But what outcome are you ranking? What do those comparisons mean?

For example, college sports rankings are based on which teams are more likely to win games against other teams. What's the comparable outcome for universities as a whole? Which institution is more likely to attract students with high SAT scores? Which institution is more likely to get a large grant? Which institution is more likely to help a student have a higher household income than their parents? What is it?

Scooter you are right we very much disagree about smaller classes.

I challenge you to go watch a small section at wake forest. No one interacts with the professor during the lecture. Y’all in the 1960s.
The difference is that you can meet with the professor if you have questions or are having difficulty with a concept or course. I’ve been told that rarely happens at UNC. Also, WF academic deans are helpful. WF wants its students to succeed and stay at WF. Living on campus, having the family feeling at WF, and having tremendous academic support means a lot to most students. I can’t imagine experiencing what many of my high school friends did in college at UNC, NCSU, ASU and ECU— living off campus and knowing only those students who live in an apartment complex or in a frat, huge classes, and 30,000 students.

There is a place for small classes and large lecture formats; Wake offers both. The debate should focus on the University's objectives and proper mix of class sizes for achieving those goals. Challenge my assumptions, but I assume that the smaller class sizes better lend themselves to involving term papers, essay exams, and more direct contact with the instructors either inside or outside the classroom. Does requiring the student to do more research and writing yield a more learned student in those areas and is that a desired outcome?

I took astronomy at Wake, which was the largest lecture class I took. Other larger ones were Psychology, and to a lesser degree the intro level classes for the social sciences. Most of the higher level classes I had were smaller, and required more work.

My life lesson has to be repeated. Never once in my 58 years of life have I ever come across a guy who tells people he's rich that actually IS rich. It hasn't happened yet and it never will. Write that one down in your journals because it is indisputable. Now, I do believe that he believes he's rich. It's actually kind of cute.

Can we please stop with the “Wake grads are making less” thing? Do you have a single friend at Wake who graduated from Wake who is struggling financially?? This is absurd.
I know a few, yeah. Also, does someone have to be “struggling” to question the value of a Wake degree vs the alternatives? This all seems pointlessly defensive. College degrees on the whole have lost a lot of value in the past two generations simply because so many more people have them, so it makes sense that the most expensive, non-Ivy, bachelors degrees would get the most scrutiny.

You can rank anything. But what's your outcome? What outcome are you ranking? What do those comparisons mean?
The comparisons aid the consumer in making quasi informed decisions without everyone having to conduct independent research into whatever is being ranked. I've never built a car or conducted crashworthiness testing, but if I wanted to prioritize safety in a purchase decision, I would value some ranking. It's on the consumer ultimately, and they should always question the methodology and motives of any ranking, but rankings do contribute to economic decision-making.

I mean I basically agree that a numerical ranking of 1 to whatever is pretty silly, but, this particular ranking carries a lot of weight in the circles of kids looking at colleges. So, accurate or not, it matters.
If you don't want to nitpick 28 versus 47, or whatever, do you think the schools ranked around us now are correctly deemed our peers versus the schools that were formerly ranked in the same range as us?
Phrase the question however you want - are we actually a tier 3 school instead of a tier 2 school?
You haven't defined the parameters. What are you ranking? "Best School" is such a nebulous category that its meaningless. If we're talking universities, for most of them teaching/education is not the only part of its mission. Most generally have a balance of education, research, and community engagement/praxis (PRAXIS!). Wake has really focused on the first in its self-understanding and mission and would do better in that metric v/ others.

UNCG is the most diverse school in NC and is the top school in the state for social mobility - which is a reflection on its mission/purpose. Is it an objectively worse school than Wake? Without defining parameters, it's an unanswerable question. Because, based on ranking, it is doing what it is trying to do better than Wake is doing what it is trying to do.

Class size was very important to me because all the folks in education told me how important it was. It never dawned on me that they were in education for a reason. Now that I'm in the real world I see first hand that was a giant myth.

My best classes at Wake, Duke and UNC had lots of folks in them whom I built relationships with. I became a multimillionaire leveraging those relationships. I have not a damn clue what they taught in the classes and I can assure you Russian history won't help you in life. Even if taught by a dude talking to 20 hungover students as opposed to 100.
Damn, dude. How many times do you have to tell us what a rich and successful guy you are on the scoreboard of life? Do you not realize how much that turns people’s stomachs?

He’s a Tar Heel too!

Never thought I’d see the day DR goes woke but that’s what he is arguing for to keep Wake’s ranking high.

Back