• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW: A Sales Pitch No One is Buying

Not sure the fans win any games or lose any games. In reality all we can do is root and hope. The fans are not responsible for the success of the tennis team, the success of the football or the miserable failure of he basketball team. Wellman seems to have done well in picking coaches for tennis and football and a truly dismal job of picking basketball coaches. Not sure I want him picking a third loser in basketball.

when Xerxes couldn't get past the Spartans at Thermopylae it was because the Persian fans didn't root hard enough.

The reason Wellman continually picks bad coaches and makes bad decisions for programs is because there is no fan pressure to do otherwise, compared to that which would arise at Duke or Carolina for example if an AD severely bungled the prospects of a major sports program.

It's also important to distinguish between different levels of fans. There are the plebs like us on this board who do try to speak out, at least here, against bad administration. And then there are the much more numerous nameless WF alums who just don't GAF. Again, unlike the numbers at Duke and/or Carolina. And then there are the elite fans, who have Wellman's and/or the Board's or President's ear, who carefully do not rock the boat when bad things happen. Like most all Wake Foresters they go along/get along and try to work within the existing framework. They are so anxious to be good boys and girls, as their education taught them. They buy into what the administration has decided, and try to say "the right things" tm that a "highly educated" person would say about the "necessary evil" of collegiate sports.

There are many levels to this. But it gets down to the nature of the WF fan at all levels.

If you get a new AD, it will only be a matter of time before he either conforms to the diktat, or gets removed. And WF alums/fans, unlike at prominent sports institutions, will not widely withhold contributions when bad moves in sports are made. In short, there is little or no pressure brought to bear against a sports-averse administration. Even with the Bzaster, he was given FOUR YEARS and our AD spoke of his reluctance to "let him go". WTF? Why would an AD of a REAL sports program have the audacity to speak this way? Because there are no consequences. Only fans, those at the right level, can provide consequences. And WF fans do not.

BTW, whoever it is who continually keeps trying to give me negrep -- and I believe it's an ignored poster on this page -- I scoff at your puny efforts. Negrep is not applied from posters on ignore, and all you do is give me reason to laugh at your immature and reflexive malice.

17d7j3.jpg

BTW, whoever it is who continually keeps trying to give me negrep -- and I believe it's an ignored poster on this page -- I scoff at your puny efforts. Negrep is not applied from posters on ignore, and all you do is give me reason to laugh at your immature and reflexive malice.

"I care so little about rep that I post about rep!"

Loh my gosh, that's so very RJ of you.

The reason Wellman continually picks bad coaches and makes bad decisions for programs is because there is no fan pressure to do otherwise, compared to that which would arise at Duke or Carolina for example if an AD severely bungled the prospects of a major sports program.

It's also important to distinguish between different levels of fans. There are the plebs like us on this board who do try to speak out, at least here, against bad administration. And then there are the much more numerous nameless WF alums who just don't GAF. Again, unlike the numbers at Duke and/or Carolina. And then there are the elite fans, who have Wellman's and/or the Board's or President's ear, who carefully do not rock the boat when bad things happen. Like most all Wake Foresters they go along/get along and try to work within the existing framework. They are so anxious to be good boys and girls, as their education taught them. They buy into what the administration has decided, and try to say "the right things" tm that a "highly educated" person would say about the "necessary evil" of collegiate sports.

There are many levels to this. But it gets down to the nature of the WF fan at all levels.

If you get a new AD, it will only be a matter of time before he either conforms to the diktat, or gets removed. And WF alums/fans, unlike at prominent sports institutions, will not widely withhold contributions when bad moves in sports are made. In short, there is little or no pressure brought to bear against a sports-averse administration. Even with the Bzaster, he was given FOUR YEARS and our AD spoke of his reluctance to "let him go". WTF? Why would an AD of a REAL sports program have the audacity to speak this way? Because there are no consequences. Only fans, those at the right level, can provide consequences. And WF fans do not.

Thanks for this tutorial.

Manning was a fine hire. No issue with taking a chance on him. But he's not good and we need to move on.

"I care so little about rep that I post about rep!"

Loh my gosh, that's so very RJ of you.

Racer is the board's Rudy Giuliani...rather than noun, verb, 9/11...with Racer it's noun, verb, it's RJ's fault. Racer says something...others repeat it....it becomes a myth....like the one that RJ never admits being wrong. Or saying that RJ says he's a moderate when that's not what he actually said.....

lol. man, this is the gift that keeps on giving.

Except that Wake isn’t Xerxes/The Persians in this analogy. He actually won the battle of Thermopylae.

ETA: Oops, should’ve quoted 123 from a few posts earlier.

Last edited:
Back