• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mundy: Four-game skid is more of the same for Deacon fans

You're wrong.

I'm not even worried about it anymore.

Admittedly, that prediction was based on the (perhaps foolish) assumption that Buzz wouldn't find a way to trip over the finish line with losses to Ga Tech (and FSU?) at home and a public de-pantsing by a meh State team with one good player. Buzz may very well have blown his cover with this last skid mark.

You're wrong.

I'm not even worried about it anymore.

Play this out for me. After walking off the stand-up set from the Selection Show interviews, Hatch/Flow saunter into his office and say "Hey Ron, nice work on t.v. Sock game was strong as usual. We had a thought, though. In assessing the 68 teams that made this field, and the first four that didn't, did you happen to notice that our team looks nothing like any of them? What are we going to do about that?"

What is his response? (ETA: Assume for purposes of discussion that Wake beats FSU, BC, wins at Miami and carves a page into history by winning an ACC tournament game on a Monday in the LRI).

Last edited:
The snow seems to be getting to the east coast crowd.

Kind of hard to compare classes to these guys, since they're like an expansion team. Duncan's class added the best big man of a generation to the best guard in school history. That's going to be hard to beat.

Regardless, these classes would be slotted ahead of these guys, admittedly with half their careers ahead of them.

1. NDiaye/Rich/Duncan
2. Rogers/Randolph
3. CP3
4. Johnson/Teague
5. King/McQueen/Tucker
6. AT&T

I was talking about big classes. Five or more.

I was talking about big classes. Five or more.

Can't be too many of those. Five+ schollies in a year is usually a sign of high turnover, which until recently hasn't been a Wake hallmark.

The salient point for this discussion is that these guys were playing to their talent level until the Georgia Tech game (where they were flat even before the injury). Stumbled, and haven't steadied themselves. Losing with someone else's guys might by you time, but losing with your own guys gets you canned (or should). I still think he's going to get another year from this Admin, even if it's the last capital Ron has left to invest in this venture.

Admittedly, that prediction was based on the (perhaps foolish) assumption that Buzz wouldn't find a way to trip over the finish line with losses to Ga Tech (and FSU?) at home and a public de-pantsing by a meh State team with one good player. Buzz may very well have blown his cover with this last skid mark.

He's either going to get extended or forced out. One more year isn't an option regardless of how the season ends. And anyone that's watched Wake basketball for an extended period of time knows when the team quits on its coach or checks out mentally. This team did that during the second half against State on Tuesday. Bzzz is finished at Wake, and all except the most vehement, in denial Bzinners realize that at this point.

He's either going to get extended or forced out. One more year isn't an option regardless of how the season ends. And anyone that's watched Wake basketball for an extended period of time knows when the team quits on its coach or checks out mentally. This team did that during the second half against State on Tuesday. Bzzz is finished at Wake, and all except the most vehement, in denial Bzinners realize that at this point.

This includes me (indeed, looking at your post about your age in 1997), my timeline has you by ten years. You think State second half was the first time a Wake team has quit on Jeff [Redacted]? They've done it three years in a row, and he's been retained three times.

Can't be too many of those. Five+ schollies in a year is usually a sign of high turnover, which until recently hasn't been a Wake hallmark.

1998: Hicks, Songalia, Dawson, Scott, and Murray
2002: Big E, Gray, Strickland, Ellis, and Joyce
2006: Skeen, Gurley, Ish, LD, Chas, and Casey
2010: Terrell, McKie, Desrosiers, Tabb, and Chennault
2012: Codi, Bill, Aaron, Madison, Tyler, Devin, and Dre

...all come to mind.

This includes me (indeed, looking at your post about your age in 1997), my timeline has you by ten years. You think State second half was the first time a Wake team has quit on Jeff [Redacted]? They've done it three years in a row, and he's been retained three times.

It's a lot easier to get rid of a coach when he has one year left on his contract as opposed to four, three, and two years, respectively. And now 99 percent of the fanbase is against this guy whereas just a year ago it was more like 70-75 percent.

1998: Hicks, Songalia, Dawson, Scott, and Murray
2002: Big E, Gray, Strickland, Ellis, and Joyce
2006: Skeen, Gurley, Ish, LD, Chas, and Casey
2010: Terrell, McKie, Desrosiers, Tabb, and Chennault
2012: Codi, Bill, Aaron, Madison, Tyler, Devin, and Dre

...all come to mind.

Washout rate is higher than I remember. I had totally forgotten some of those guys. You were right.

It's a lot easier to get rid of a coach when he has one year left on his contract as opposed to four, three, and two years, respectively. And now 99 percent of the fanbase is against this guy whereas just a year ago it was more like 70-75 percent.

I have the sense that that fact only emboldens Wellman. He sees himself as the protestor and public opinion as the tanks in Tiananmen Square.

I have the sense that that fact only emboldens Wellman. He sees himself as the protestor and public opinion as the tanks in Tiananmen Square.

You never know, the guy maintains a massive ego. But the Grobe situation gives us hope. Even those that say this is Bzzzz's "second" year probably realize that they can't offer many more excuses for the guy now that he's deep into the sophomore years of his marquee class.

You never know, the guy maintains a massive ego. But the Grobe situation gives us hope. Even those that say this is Bzzzz's "second" year probably realize that they can't offer many more excuses for the guy now that he's deep into the sophomore years of his marquee class.

Yes. Those people. Where to begin...:rulz:

But tell me, who forces the change?

If you are paying attention, there are the same tea leaves about the basketball program as with the football program. Leaked insider "info" that a coaching change is imminent.

Would the mods consider preventing Mundy from posting his idiotic columns here in the future?

Kind of hard to compare classes to these guys, since they're like an expansion team. Duncan's class added the best big man of a generation to the best guard in school history. That's going to be hard to beat.

Regardless, these classes would be slotted ahead of these guys, admittedly with half their careers ahead of them.

1. NDiaye/Rich/Duncan
2. Rogers/Randolph
3. CP3
4. Johnson/Teague
5. King/McQueen/Tucker
6. AT&T

You really need to stick to UNC stuff. There was no "Rich/Duncan/Ndaiye" class. There was Duncan/Castle/Ndaiye/Peral.

And laughable to suggest that King/McQueen (there was no Anthony Tucker in that recruiting class) is the 5th best recruiting class in Wake history.

As an aside, it is amazing how much turnover Odom created/put up with in the early to mid-90s. Schoone/Castle/Rich/Jackson/Stringfellow/Canty/Fitzgibbons/Wilson/Woods/Griffin/McMillan/West/Arinze. 13 transfers (at least) for recruiting classes starting between 1992 and 1997. If APR had been in existence, we would have been fucked.

As I sit in my man-cave watching the last of this week's winter weather dump snow onto my backyard, I survey the neighborhood and remember why I love snow. The all-white landscape and unequivocal quiet gives the area a pristine feel, almost like a clean slate for this collection of homes and people.

I thought Lenox retired...

Great stats and comments on this thread.

But I just can't beyond Mundy misspelling [Redacted]'s name in the first place. You could be making the greatest argument since Cicero and it doesn't matter once you tank your credibility on misspelling your mancrush's name. And just before Valentine's Day. What a shame.

Back