• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mundy: Four-game skid is more of the same for Deacon fans

You really need to stick to UNC stuff. There was no "Rich/Duncan/Ndaiye" class. There was Duncan/Castle/Ndaiye/Peral.

And laughable to suggest that King/McQueen (there was no Anthony Tucker in that recruiting class) is the 5th best recruiting class in Wake history.

Castle wasn't in Duncan's class, was he? That doesn't sound right. I put Tucker in there b/c I think I remember him transferring in as a soph and graduating in that same class.

Ph's question was the post Staak era. King/McQueen class was the beginning of the run that ended with Bz. If you'll really talking about a foundational class, that was it. Prior to those guys, you had some good players (i.e., Ivy) but that McQueen/King teams pushed Wake out of ACC basketball middle class (past NC State, Clemson, Ga Tech, FSU and solidly into fighting with Maryland for the third best program in the conference for the next decade or so). All of that is over now, of course.

You really need to stick to UNC stuff. There was no "Rich/Duncan/Ndaiye" class. There was Duncan/Castle/Ndaiye/Peral.

Pretty sure that class was only Duncan/Peral/Makhtar.

Castle was in the class before.

Who was really hyping the sophomore class? They were a bunch of 3-stars and Codi. That's below average by Wake's standards.

This guy was.

Just curious, where would you rank this year's freshmen recruiting class at Wake overall? I'm talking about when they came in, not after they got here flourished, flopped or did about as expected. What recruiting classes do you put ahead of this class led by CMM and Moto? I think it is probably pretty easily top 10 overall at Wake. Not top 5, but definitely in the next 5, and probably closer to #10.

His "culture" statement gets dismantled by someone in the comments section. Pretty hilarious that there are still dumbasses out there that believe that you fire a head coach, but keep all his staff if you need a culture change.

How does culture get us 1/2 way back to being part of the big 4? We supposedly had no culture and were arguably one of the 4 best teams in the country with thugs like Ish and LD.

His "culture" statement gets dismantled by someone in the comments section. Pretty hilarious that there are still dumbasses out there that believe that you fire a head coach, but keep all his staff if you need a culture change.

Agreed. The person in the comments section is worth reading. Job well done.

Common Sense Reality vs. Waxing Philosophical
Common Sense: – Common sense isn’t this overarching concept that transcends the question of whether Ron Wellman and Jeff [Redacted] have any credibility. Whether you have common sense depends on whether you think Ron Wellman and Jeff [Redacted] are in fact credible.

Talent: – This team is actually not that talented by any contemporary measure, whether compared to the quality of players recruited during the Skip Prosser and Dino Gaudio period or compared to the other similarly situated upper tier programs in the “New ACC.” That historic success during the post-Y2K era came hand in hand with recruiting elite talent which was rated as elite by multiple recruiting agencies. And this is the only way to remain competitive in the ACC today. Coaching matters, but ACC offenses and defenses aren’t amidst a major playbook revolution. Coaches have to be smart, but you’re not going to outthink the new ACC with the worst recruiting since the 1990s. I don’t want to disappoint anyone expecting a miracle, but recruiting has changed drastically since Tim Duncan came up from the islands. With all the tourneys, AAU, recruiting services, web sites, etc. it is exceptionally rare for a kid to fly under the radar these days. If you are worth a crap, chances are someone has seen you. Instead of using an example of a kid recruited 20+ years ago, how about a more modern example… Anyone come to mind? Kids ranked that low/not at all are there for a reason. So turning to the issue of talent, I agree that we are too talented to suck this much, but that really speaks to [Redacted]’s stupidity and incompetence, and shouldn’t be misconstrued to mean that we’re recruiting adequately.

Feeling Bad for Jeff [Redacted]: – Feeling bad for Jeff [Redacted] is like feeling bad for a significantly less able, stunted version of Matt Doherty. Jeff [Redacted] had a pitiful career history pockmarked by shunting off his own responsibility for his teams’ abysmal performance on the previous coach, dragging former players through the mud, throwing his own players under the bus, and invoking bizarre strawmen reasons to justify his presence at Colorado, like “citizenship.” (http://www.bloggersodear.com/2013/4...ed]-making-the-same-excuses-at-colorado-as-he). Jeff [Redacted] is a grown, adult man who knew what he was getting into in terms of the ACC being even more competitive than the significantly less competitive Big 12 North where he had failed miserably, at recruiting (http://colorado.scout.com/a.z?s=148&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2010), player development, and winning, and Jeff [Redacted] took this job for between $1.5 million and $1.7 million.

Culture: – Prior to Jeff [Redacted] being hired, Ron Wellman said this of Dino Gaudio in 2007: “The principles upon which Skip Prosser built this program, with an emphasis on academics, basketball and character, are the same principles that Dino embraces.” (http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080807aab.html). Prior to Jeff [Redacted] being hired, Ron Wellman said this of Dino Gaudio in October 2009: “We are pleased with the progress of the student-athletes, both on and off the court, and Dino Gaudio is responsible for that progress.” (http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101409aaa.html) When Dino Gaudio was fired, Andy Katz reported that Ron Wellman said this of his reason for firing Coach Gaudio: "Wellman went on to say how much Dino Gaudio handled the academic side of Wake Forest and that he was a fine representative of the University. None of that was a reason for firing Gaudio. Wellman was direct in saying that it was the late-season on-court performance. If you’re going to fire someone, just do it and say why. Wellman did, saying “The decision was based on the overall performance the past 3 years, I looked at our February and March record and how the performances declined rather dramatically.” (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...letic-director-ron-wellman-dino-gaudio-firing)

Culture (cont’d): – Past is prologue. What has happened at Wake Forest has tracked exactly what happened at Colorado. Jeff [Redacted] failed. Jeff [Redacted] blamed the previous coach, dragged former players through the mud, and threw his own players under the bus, and has invoked bizarre excuses like Tuesdays being exceptionally difficult days to play on and making up player injuries, such as saying that Travis McKie had an ankle sprain after another pathetic performance when Travis McKie himself was surprised and said he only had a stubbed toe, for his 4 years of historically bad recruiting, historically bad player development, and historically bad performance.

Culture (cont’d): – During all of this, Ron Wellman has (1) Also dragged former coaches and players through the mud to run interference from being accountable; (2) Being hypocritically exposed on the “culture” argument with the hire of someone determined by the SEC to have violated federal accounting laws to run Wake Forest Athletic Department finances; (3) Enabled Jeff [Redacted] to do the same; (4) Not only enabled Jeff [Redacted] to throw current players under the bus, but also protected him after [Redacted] was publicly embarrassed by fans sick of hearing him do it to run interference from being accountable; (5) Insulted the University’s own fans by calling them “preachers” for catching [Redacted] throwing current players under the bus in order to disown his own mountain of losses; (6) Grossly falsified attendance records.

Culture (cont’d): Do we have better culture? Bullshi*. All we have is something that was once beautiful that has been treated with historic incompetence (Ron Wellman’s decision to hire Jeff [Redacted]; Jeff [Redacted]’s performance as a basketball coach) and utter disrespect (Ron Wellman insulting by implication not only a former coach who’s alive like Dino Gaudio, but also showing no shame in doing the same to the deceased Skip Prosser, in addition to showing absolutely no shame brazenly making up a lie like “culture” despite its being rendered totally hypocritical by his own multiple public statements praising Gaudio for his ethics and with his decision to hire someone who, according to the Securities and Exchange Commission, violated federal accounting laws amidst a major corporate white-collar scandal; Jeff [Redacted] showing no shame in doing exactly what he did at Colorado – blaming everyone before him and everyone around him – for his own pathetic ability to coach college basketball).

Culture (cont’d): Our culture is this now: Our Athletic Director is an arrogant hypocrite who hasn’t shown any fear in destroying his own credibility and cares more about himself being right than Wake Forest basketball, and our basketball coach can’t recruit, can’t develop players, can’t win, and blames everyone before him and everyone around him for his own incompetence.

Conclusion – What Have We Got?: This is our present reality and the reality of the past 4 years. These things I’ve mentioned, are facts. They’re not reach theories, they’re not imaginative hypotheses. It’s what Ron Wellman and Jeff [Redacted] have chosen to say and do. So am I for common sense? Yes I am, but common sense isn’t an abstract concept that exists beyond the reality we’ve lived. Common sense is having the guts to confront reality instead of treating common sense like it exists in a universe apart from reality. We know what’s happened over the past 4 years. We are worse off than we were 4 years ago. We can be great again, but it’s going be despite/to take overcoming the present, not leveraging it.

PS: I think this author’s been uniquely criticized compared to other BSD staff because he’s been too slow to wake up to this reality that was obvious to so many, and still too passive once he acknowledged it. Just my 2-cents John P. Mundy.

https://twitter.com/WakeForestUF
by Grand Tanyon Sturtze on Feb 13, 2014

Any credibility gained in that article was immediately lost by the culture reference. It's a claim that has been disproven and a responsible journalist would steer clear of it or report it accurately. Not sure why I expected anything better from Mundy.

Well even if the culture claim is true, which I agree that I do not think it is true, it was provided for the purpose of stating that a team of choir boys doesn't matter if they're not winning.

I also like the Steve Shutt shoutout, it should have read; "When I was giving Steve Shutt a reach around I was like hey Steve man am I getting paid for this, and he was like no my pet but your rewarding is coming soon, up there it is"

Rich was a few years before Duncan's group. Thought he had a lot of potential but was not here but till Christmas if I remember correctly.

The best class in Wake's history was the Mahktar/Steve Rich class.

Am I missing the irony? They weren't in the same class. Rich would have been earlier. Mahtar was with Peral and Duncan..

Wasn't Jokim Blom supposed to come in with Duncan/Mahktar/Peral as well?

Wasn't Jokim Blom supposed to come in with Duncan/Mahktar/Peral as well?

No. Joakim Blom and Sean Coleman were supposed to come in with Loren Woods in the 1996 class.

Ph's question was the post Staak era. King/McQueen class was the beginning of the run that ended with Bz. If you'll really talking about a foundational class, that was it. Prior to those guys, you had some good players (i.e., Ivy) but that McQueen/King teams pushed Wake out of ACC basketball middle class (past NC State, Clemson, Ga Tech, FSU and solidly into fighting with Maryland for the third best program in the conference for the next decade or so). All of that is over now, of course.

I graduated in 1990 and disagree with this. The doldrums were still there until Rodney & Randolph came for the 90/91 season. FSU wasn't even in the ACC back then - but Odom's first team in 89/90 that had Tucker/King/McQueen/Siler and even Ivy, still wasn't very good. They finished DFL in the ACC that year.

As I remember Odom's first team upset a ranked Alabama team in December and then won 3 conference games late in the year to give us some vision of improvement to come, Then with Rodney the next year we started to show something good.

Back