• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Music City Bowl Ticket Update

It seems like a large number of schools are having major difficulty with their allotment of tickets to bowls this year, including BCS bowls.

I find this curious because (lets be honest) the money tied to a bowl system is THE reason there is no FBS football playoff now.

Is this a sign that the bowls are dying, making a playoff in the near future more of a reality?

It seems like a large number of schools are having major difficulty with their allotment of tickets to bowls this year, including BCS bowls.

I find this curious because (lets be honest) the money tied to a bowl system is THE reason there is no FBS football playoff now.

Is this a sign that the bowls are dying, making a playoff in the near future more of a reality?

Well a playoff would bring in way more money than the bowl system, at least in terms of TV revenue, but that goes to the schools just the same.

Teams not selling their allotment does not affect the bowls that much because the schools are on the hook for that money. The big bowls will still make money as long as the TV money is there and it will be.

Jim Delaney and his obsession with the Rose Bowl are the primary factors that have been blocking a playoff. However, this year the Big 12 and Pac 12, who were previously against a playoff, have moved to the side of a plus 1 due to Oklahoma State getting left out and the Pac 12 because Stanford would have been involved in a 4 team playoff.

We are moving to a playoff, but not because of bowl ticket sales. It's because of worthy teams with an argument being left out of the championship game. At this point, the Big Ten is the only conference still against some form of a playoff. The lesser bowls will still exist as they are, meaningless exhibition games, and continue to struggle with ticket sales. The bowl system will survive because there is still money to be made from it and 50-60 teams will still want some kind of a postseason.

Once we go to a playoff, even a plus 1, the momentum will continue until we have at least an 8 team playoff.

If we are at 5,000, then the ticket office is full of it.

They said they anticipated selling 10K tickets to the game and that sales have been like Charlotte and the Orange Bowl.

Based on those two, the vast majority of the tickets were sold by the Deacon Club deadline.

Either they have sold more than 5K tickets and the rumor is wrong, or they are full of it.

I have heard that the number is closer to 10k already, but idk why the ticket office would say otherwise unless if they wanted more people to buy.

I have heard that the number is closer to 10k already, but idk why the ticket office would say otherwise unless if they wanted more people to buy.

The rumor could be wrong. Wake fans have a strange habit of spreading unfavorable rumors about ourselves. Why I do not know.

The rumor could be wrong. Wake fans have a strange habit of spreading unfavorable rumors about ourselves. Why I do not know.

Which rumor are you referencing, mine or the ticket office? I trust the source that I heard (in that there would be no reason for this person to lie to me), but it could in fact be incorrect if they heard it from somewhere else that was wrong/incorrect.

A couple of people have posted rumors on both boards that ticket sales were not going well.

In keeping with the traditions of our athletic department, we probably sold over 10,000 tickets the first week and were on pace to lead the nation for the first time in sales. Now inexplicably, people are probably now starting to cancel their orders, return their tickets and stop all travel reservations. By game time, there will likely be 427 alumni that show up in Nashville, setting a bowl record for futility. Arkansas State will bring more to the GoDaddy.com bowl in Mobile, and it won't even be that close. Ron Wellman will speak at the press conference he takes for Grobe after the game saying he couldn't be happier with the situation. He will tell us to be patient, wait 3 more years, and maybe we might be able to attract 2,000 fans to Shreveport next time we sniff a bowl.

Well a playoff would bring in way more money than the bowl system, at least in terms of TV revenue, but that goes to the schools just the same.

Teams not selling their allotment does not affect the bowls that much because the schools are on the hook for that money. The big bowls will still make money as long as the TV money is there and it will be.

Jim Delaney and his obsession with the Rose Bowl are the primary factors that have been blocking a playoff. However, this year the Big 12 and Pac 12, who were previously against a playoff, have moved to the side of a plus 1 due to Oklahoma State getting left out and the Pac 12 because Stanford would have been involved in a 4 team playoff.

We are moving to a playoff, but not because of bowl ticket sales. It's because of worthy teams with an argument being left out of the championship game. At this point, the Big Ten is the only conference still against some form of a playoff. The lesser bowls will still exist as they are, meaningless exhibition games, and continue to struggle with ticket sales. The bowl system will survive because there is still money to be made from it and 50-60 teams will still want some kind of a postseason.

Once we go to a playoff, even a plus 1, the momentum will continue until we have at least an 8 team playoff.

But Stanford didn't even win their conference!

I need a ride to Nashville. From South Carolina - where I will be spending the holidays. What are the odds I can find someone on here to give me one?

Deacon Club allotment will probably be in sections 137 and 138 depending on DC rank.

Student tickets were formerly assigned to 145, but looks like they may have been moved to 139-141.

As I posted before, they started assigning tickets on Sunday night and should have finished by tonight.

Will call dates will be December 19th - 23rd from 8:30AM-5:00PM at the ticket office.

seating-chart.jpg

Deacon Club allotment will probably be in sections 137 and 138 depending on DC rank.

Student tickets were formerly assigned to 145, but looks like they may have been moved to 139-141.

As I posted before, they started assigning tickets on Sunday night and should have finished by tonight.

Will call dates will be December 19th - 23rd from 8:30AM-5:00PM at the ticket office.

seating-chart.jpg

Does that mean club would be 237 & 238?

Does that mean club would be 237 & 238?

I've purchased Club level. And having purchased them for the Meineke Bowl, they are WELL WORTH the price if it's cold and/or raining.

I have no idea if I'm in 237/38 but I would assume so based upon the above post.

But Stanford didn't even win their conference!

We are moving to a Plus one but I don't see a playoff in the near future. The bowl situation has been far too good to the schools and now 70 teams get to go bowling. That means there are plenty of sponsors out there willing to put their money where it counts. Plus numerous charities get helped along the way.

But as a bit of irony, the SEC boss Mike Slive suggested a "plus one" game in 2007 and was seconded by ACC boss John Swofford. The Big 12 said NO along with the Pac 10. Now who do we see whining like babies but OK St from the Big 12 and somewhat Stanford. Both would have been in the Plus one scenario & going for a national title

I've purchased Club level. And having purchased them for the Meineke Bowl, they are WELL WORTH the price if it's cold and/or raining.

I have no idea if I'm in 237/38 but I would assume so based upon the above post.

I did the same, thinking the weather could be bad, and having the gf with me, I figure she can still enjoy the game inside.

Back