• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim ban already having effect

You are thinking of the concept of disparate impact of a facially neutral law. Part of 14th Amendment analysis (text of which applies to "citizens").

No, not just disparate impact. Discriminatory intent behind a superficially neutral law. Disparate impact is different (where there is no intent, but the effect disproportionately hits certain minority groups).

Come up with an argument that doesn't involve what's going on in Europe.

OK, how about the argument that canada has taken 3x as many syrian refugees as the US has the past 6 years, and only in the past 2 days are we making a thread about a "muslim ban" It appears as if there has been a "muslim ban" for the past 6 years. Refute that.

If you're going to call Trump out for being a xenophobe, where's the same claim for Obama? There's a much larger sample size with which to judge Obama. Or does Obama just get a pass on these matters? As someone who voted for Obama twice and was really looking forward to his hope/change narrative, he really shit the bed as far as actual leadership was concerned.

His only actual legacy was a bill that he either lied to the american people about "you can keep your doctor" "costs will go down" or he wasn't able to implement effectively to make the previous two statements a reality. That and he got Osama, and was a really cool guy.

Last edited:
OK, how about the argument that canada has taken 3x as many syrian refugees as the US has the past 6 years, and only in the past 2 days are we making a thread about a "muslim ban" It appears as if there has been a "muslim ban" for the past 6 years. Refute that.

If you're going to call Trump out for being a xenophobe, where's the same claim for Obama? There's a much larger sample size with which to judge Obama.

I already did.

There's a big difference between being slow to react and taking steps backward, like Trump is doing. Also we're at peak Syrian crisis right now. It's a lot worse than it was when Obama wasn't taking in as many Syrians. Plus there's the fact that Trump has basically said he's a xenophobe, while nobody in their right mind thinks Obama is.

And even if Obama was wrong, two wrongs don't make a right.

I already did.

There's a big difference between being slow to react and taking steps backward, like Trump is doing. Also we're at peak Syrian crisis right now. It's a lot worse than it was when Obama wasn't taking in as many Syrians. Plus there's the fact that Trump has basically said he's a xenophobe, while nobody in their right mind thinks Obama is.

And even if Obama was wrong, two wrongs don't make a right.

You're passing off waiting 6 years and after 15 million people having been displaced as being "slow to react?" At this point Trump can't make things worse, the damage has been done. At this point all he can do is make sure the USA doesn't become Istanbul from last month.

lemmie try again (had a few drinks), anyway:

@ native americans - white europeans went genocidal on them, which is why a native american would not agree with me when i argue that immigration is a net benefit.

@)slaves - U.S. net benefited from african diversity. but you are right in that since it was forced and the SES arrangement was fundamentally different it didn't follow the outline i made. I was more thinking chinamen, mexicans (back when U.S. stole the southern border states), and ellis island.

it's good to point out that difference with AAs for sure.

Last edited:
You are jumping the shark a bit here. The number of engineers working in the United States from Somalia, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Sudan, Iraq and Iran is not what has tech. execs. clamoring. They are perhaps concerned the order might be extended to, say, India or Pakistan.

You're joking right? India isn't Muslim and whatnot

If you're going to call Trump out for being a xenophobe, where's the same claim for Obama? There's a much larger sample size with which to judge Obama. Or does Obama just get a pass on these matters? As someone who voted for Obama twice and was really looking forward to his hope/change narrative, he really shit the bed as far as actual leadership was concerned.

His only actual legacy was a bill that he either lied to the american people about "you can keep your doctor" "costs will go down" or he wasn't able to implement effectively to make the previous two statements a reality. That and he got Osama, and was a really cool guy.

you left out the foreign policy mess he bequeathed to us

I think you should continue to lecture black folks on what to think. Good course of action, teach.

not lecturing, asking a question, and I hope lots of Blacks start asking the same question soon

sell out and betrayal is my opinion, and this would be my opinion if the leadership of my community did what the leadership of the Black community is doing

You are jumping the shark a bit here. The number of engineers working in the United States from Somalia, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Sudan, Iraq and Iran is not what has tech. execs. clamoring. They are perhaps concerned the order might be extended to, say, India or Pakistan.

I agree, it won't happen overnight but you can bet there will be a slow erosion of trust and willingness for businesses to put up with this shit. These are literally the first two articles I woke up to this morning:

Google employees stage worldwide walkout over Trump edict

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/97265938/?client=safari

Trump's travel ban could hamper US tourism, business

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/317003-trumps-travel-ban-could-hamper-us-tourism-business

This is all on top of the fact that this ban does very little if anything to keep us safe. And you can make a very good argument that it actually harms us more than it helps us.

You're passing off waiting 6 years and after 15 million people having been displaced as being "slow to react?" At this point Trump can't make things worse, the damage has been done. At this point all he can do is make sure the USA doesn't become Istanbul from last month.

This is just flat out wrong on so many levels

Back