• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim imams kicked off flight because other passengers were uncomfortable

Threads like this are so entertaining. Talk about filling in the gaps in the absence of real information. All we know for a fact is what the article states. We know for a fact that "..passengers ostensibly felt uncomfortable with their presence.."

We don't know if the muslim pair acted in such a way or said anything that might have caused passengers to be uncomfortable. I mean, doesn't anyone else find it at least mildly coincidental that the two were imams and were headed to a council dealing Islamaphobia when this incident occurred? Is it even remotely possible that they would have done something to generate publicity? It seems that CAIR was pretty quick to contact CNN after the fact. I'm not making any accusations. I'm just saying that we don't know.

We don't know anything about the passengers who said they were uncomfortable, nor do we know how many of them there were. We don't know what was said on the plane between the other passengers and the imams. We don't know what happened on the plane that led the pilot to make the decision that he did.

Yet with all of the missing pieces, posters here have accused the passengers of being rednecks, bigots, prejudiced, and even of harbor hatred toward muslims. Good lord!

Excellent point. Playing hypotheticals is one thing, but blindly accusing people of anything while knowing nothing about what prompted this is asinine. The two men thanking TSA says nothing about what occurred on that plane. If you start a fight on the playground, then thank the principal for intervening afterwards, it doesn't change the fact you started a fight. That's not to say these men did anything wrong, but until the full story comes out, we're left to speculate.

If they had acted up on the plane, and the pilot knew about that, why would the Delta rep go on the plane and talk to the pilot for an hour and then say he had no idea why the pilot left?

Mission Accomplished.

Shorty is right on...

Ask the Duke Lacrosse team.

I am not going to argue with you. You are wrong. You have no way of knowing what happened on that airplane. To call them prejudiced and bigoted with the limited information you have at hand is itself an exercise in prejudice. In the lack of concrete information, you are pre-judging.

Now Shorty...don't you know that RJ is making some high-value assumptions based on years of hardening stereotypes!?

It's absurd to think that people who took the most personal intursion you can have while travelling not only in stride but voiced their thanks for the professionalism of those intruding upon their person.

Even after they were thrown off the plane they acted gentelly towards those who got them thrown off the plane.

There is no logical reason to think they did anything to create the problem. In fact, knowing they had been picked for more attention would lead to understanding that they weren't the problem.

If Gumby and Inspector Gadget had a child, the being wouldn't be able stretch as much as some here are doing to justify what happened.

If they had acted up on the plane, and the pilot knew about that, why would the Delta rep go on the plane and talk to the pilot for an hour and then say he had no idea why the pilot left?

BINGO!! They would never be allowed back on the plane if Delta found ANYTHING about actions by the imans while on the plane.

Good lord, are you that naive? Delta doesn't want to touch this...

Guys like you and RJ must live in some idealized world that strikingly bears not a whit of resemblance to reality.

Delta rep was probably onboard begging the guy to fly -- fucking pr nightmare for him/her. Pilot probably has another version of the story to tell.

I've lived in and around the world of PR for decades.

If Delta had a whisp of anything to defend themselves with in this situation they would have put some of it out there to see if it stuck.

If they had a scintilla of actions by the imans, they would have said something.

The way it is now it is lose/lose for their corporate image.

BINGO!! They would never be allowed back on the plane if Delta found ANYTHING about actions by the imans while on the plane.

If that makes you feel better about your prejudicial assessment of the passengers on that plane, then go for it. You are guilty of the exact same thing you are accusing these passengers of.

Nice font, though. Reminds me of RULZ.

Yet with all of the missing pieces, posters here have accused the passengers of being rednecks, bigots, prejudiced, and even of harbor hatred toward muslims. Good lord!

I scanned the thread quickly and found one poster doing this without some sort of "if true" or "I'd be interested to hear more as it comes out" caveat.

also - one of the worst trends that's followed this board from the old one is everybody obsessing over what rj says instead of talking about whatever issue the thread is about.

Yep.

Good lord, are you that naive? Delta doesn't want to touch this...

Guys like you and RJ must live in some idealized world that strikingly bears not a whit of resemblance to reality.

Delta rep was probably onboard begging the guy to fly -- fucking pr nightmare for him/her. Pilot probably has another version of the story to tell.

it IS a PR nightmare right now. If the guys were acting up on the plane, then most of the public would forgive delta and turn on these guys. So if they WERE acting up on the plane, then Delta would immediately come out and set the record straight to justify the pilot's actions.

If Delta had a whisp of anything to defend themselves with in this situation they would have put some of it out there to see if it stuck.

If they had a scintilla of actions by the imans, they would have said something.

Or do you think it's possible they before accusing anyone of anything, Delta wanted to do a thorough investigation? Some people do that before they make what could otherwise be construed as prejudicial accusations.

Or do you think it's possible they before accusing anyone of anything, Delta wanted to do a thorough investigation? Some people do that before they make what could otherwise be construed as prejudicial accusations.

that's not how PR works, Shorty. Right now, the story leads as "these two nice guys who were searched thoroughly were kicked off a plane for seemingly no reason." If Delta had one HINT that these guys did justified the pilot's actions, they would put it out there to try to stop the negative publicity. The public perception doesn't care about a "thorough investigation." They care about the first thing they hear

Baloney. They don't want to touch a nerve with a substantial number of potential clients (Muslim community) and would much rather distance themselves from the pilot.

The conference those guys were going to tells me the motivations of those 2... if I may be allowed to use your stereotypical-logic!? Looks a little too much like Henry Louis Gates returning from similar conference and then showing his ass in front of black and white police officers. Then afterwards he was Dr. 'Magnanimity' again...sure, sure...

Let's place bets -- if rj's version of events turns out to be more true than the opposite, jhmd leaves this board. Fair?

Let's place bets -- if rj's version of events turns out to be more true than the opposite, jhmd leaves this board. Fair?

And if the outcome is reversed can we assume your boots, ahem, shoo's will be fit for walking away?

I scanned the thread quickly and found one poster doing this without some sort of "if true" or "I'd be interested to hear more as it comes out" caveat.

Yep.

You should have scanned more closely. I count three posters doing this without some sort of "if true", two of who made over half of the posts on the thread. Check out post numbers 2, 11, and 92 made by three different posters. There are plenty of DeacinHand and RJ posts making unqualified, prejudicial accusations about the passengers. PHDeac only accused them of hatred once that I saw.

Don't mean to nit pick, but if you're going to make a statement like this, expect someone to check up on your accuracy.

They wouldn't have put out the info about trying to get them back onto the plane if they hadn't done some investigation.

By saying they tried to get them back on the plane, it is de facto saying they were wrongly taken off in the first place.

Had they simply said."we are investigating the situation and made other arrangements" your point would be more accurate.

In a situation like this you don't say or do anything that would lead anyone to believe either side unless you have some intel.

You should have scanned more closely. I count three posters doing this without some sort of "if true", two of who made over half of the posts on the thread. Check out post numbers 2, 11, and 92 made by three different posters. There are plenty of DeacinHand and RJ posts making unqualified, prejudicial accusations about the passengers. PHDeac only accused them of hatred once that I saw.

Don't mean to nit pick, but if you're going to make a statement like this, expect someone to check up on your accuracy.

Hahaha. #92 was in response to a hypothetical situation. You got me on #11, one other poster made an insulting comment about the passengers. If you think two people justified your rant, fine, agree to disagree. Seemed over the top to me.

Back