• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim imams kicked off flight because other passengers were uncomfortable

Hypothetically, what if the pilot refused to take off because of the unrest of the other passengers...as in, he feared the other passengers may attack the two men and didn't want an incident to occur at 30,000 feet?

Then shouldn't the passengers he feared would commit violence be the ones kicked off? (And that sounds pretty far fetched.)

"You called them rednecks because they did something racist. That's like hearing that a liquor store was robbed and calling whomever did it, the n-word; It's a defamatory and bigoted assumption."

You can't separate my two word phrase because it's convenient for you. I didn't calel them readnecks then call them bigots. I didn't call them rednecks AND bigots.

You are changing what I said to fit what you want it to be.

The only excuse I can see for the pilot is that he wanted to go ahead and get the passengers there so that they weren't delayed any longer. But judging by the fact that a Delta rep went on the plane to talk to him, I don't know if that excuse would fly...

The only excuse I can see for the pilot is that he wanted to go ahead and get the passengers there so that they weren't delayed any longer. But judging by the fact that a Delta rep went on the plane to talk to him, I don't know if that excuse would fly...

"Mr Rahman said Delta officials talked with the pilot for more than a half-hour, but he still refused to fly with them aboard."

Link

If true, that excuse goes out the window.

RJ, you know I like you, but you're contributing to this silly "redneck" derailment as much as anyone. Please let it go or take it elsewhere.

This is a difficult issue for me. On one hand, I like that the industry gives pilots a lot latitude regarding who and what they allow on their plane. On the other hand, you don't want that latitude to become a source of abuse. Assuming that the pilot didn't have a legitimate reason to deny the Imams' passage, I hope that this is dealt with on a personal level rather than resulting in more regulation,

If the pilot refused to accept the passengers after the TSA and other officials told him the Imans were perfectly OK to fly, then he should be at the very least suspended without pay. If not fired.

If nothing happens to him, then further regulations are needed.

Hypothetically, what if the pilot refused to take off because of the unrest of the other passengers...as in, he feared the other passengers may attack the two men and didn't want an incident to occur at 30,000 feet?

Then you tell the passengers who may attack their fellow passengers to get off the plane. Seems like that is what usually happens.

Then you tell the passengers who may attack their fellow passengers to get off the plane. Seems like that is what usually happens.

What if it's 20 passengers? Do you expel all 20 or just the 2? (Note, I'm only trying to play Devil's Advocate here, I'm with everyone here they should have been allowed to fly).

If there's 20 people on a plane who would attack a fellow passenger simply for the way they dressed, then yeah, expel all of them.

What if it's 20 passengers? Do you expel all 20 or just the 2? (Note, I'm only trying to play Devil's Advocate here, I'm with everyone here they should have been allowed to fly).

All 20. You expel the ones likely to commit a crime, not the innocent.

Interesting. What if the entire plane is against their being on the flight, and openly voice it? Do you remove the two to prevent a mob scene?

Obviously a better choice is to contact airport security and allow them to handle it, but I'm saying if it is solely the pilots decision? (Again, all hypothetical).

Interesting. What if the entire plane is against their being on the flight, and openly voice it? Do you remove the two to prevent a mob scene?

Obviously a better choice is to contact airport security and allow them to handle it, but I'm saying if it is solely the pilots decision? (Again, all hypothetical).

You ask the two men if they would like to volunteer to switch to a later flight for credit for another flight, just as you would ask for volunteers to be bumped.

If they have a time constraint, the airport can either try to get them on another airline for the same deal.

If that doesn't work, you tell the idiots that the imams have been searched up and down twice and are therefore far more trustworthy passengers than any of them. So if anybody doesn't want to fly with the two imams, then can get off the plane and buy another ticket to feel safer.

Tell them to put their money where their hatred is.

You ask the two men if they would like to volunteer to switch to a later flight for credit for another flight, just as you would ask for volunteers to be bumped.

If they have a time constraint, the airport can either try to get them on another airline for the same deal.

If that doesn't work, you tell the idiots that the imams have been searched up and down twice and are therefore far more trustworthy passengers than any of them. So if anybody doesn't want to fly with the two imams, then can get off the plane and buy another ticket to feel safer.

Tell them to put their money where their hatred is.

I think that's a pretty good, level headed answer.

I think it is good for the Muslim community in America...just to be reminded that the horse-shit taking place in London, Paris, Lyon and across Europe will not ever be tolerated here.

There is a good reason Merkel, Cameron and Sarkozy have had such direct and hard commentary to make about the muslim populations in their own countries and the "failure", as Merkel put it, "of multi-culturalism".

Just a good "mood setter"...

Threads like this are so entertaining. Talk about filling in the gaps in the absence of real information. All we know for a fact is what the article states. We know for a fact that "..passengers ostensibly felt uncomfortable with their presence.."

We don't know if the muslim pair acted in such a way or said anything that might have caused passengers to be uncomfortable. I mean, doesn't anyone else find it at least mildly coincidental that the two were imams and were headed to a council dealing Islamaphobia when this incident occurred? Is it even remotely possible that they would have done something to generate publicity? It seems that CAIR was pretty quick to contact CNN after the fact. I'm not making any accusations. I'm just saying that we don't know.

We don't know anything about the passengers who said they were uncomfortable, nor do we know how many of them there were. We don't know what was said on the plane between the other passengers and the imams. We don't know what happened on the plane that led the pilot to make the decision that he did.

Yet with all of the missing pieces, posters here have accused the passengers of being rednecks, bigots, prejudiced, and even of harbor hatred toward muslims. Good lord!

Shorty, TSA has said the imans were totally cooperative and thanked them for protecting the country prior to getting on the plane. Knoiwing this why would you think they did anything other than walk on the plane?

Being uncomfortable enough to get them thrown off the plane is the definition of prejudice and bigotry.

Great - now all the hyper-sensitive board rednecks are playing the redneck card.

Fuck 'em, let 'em drive and feel the 'torture' at the pump.

Enhanced Gas-Boarding

Shorty, TSA has said the imans were totally cooperative and thanked them for protecting the country prior to getting on the plane. Knoiwing this why would you think they did anything other than walk on the plane?

Being uncomfortable enough to get them thrown off the plane is the definition of prejudice and bigotry.

I am not going to argue with you. You are wrong. You have no way of knowing what happened on that airplane. To call them prejudiced and bigoted with the limited information you have at hand is itself an exercise in prejudice. In the lack of concrete information, you are pre-judging.

If you know the Mavs hit about 20 threes in a game, you can reasonably deduce that Jason Terry, Dirk and Peja each hit some.

If people had been extremely gracious even when beeing frisked, it is totally illogical to think they would have acted differently walking onto a plane.

It doesn't make sense.

Back