• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim imams kicked off flight because other passengers were uncomfortable

I wish you could make any positive contribution to this board at all, but we can't always get what we want.

I'm the one that posted the pick of the guys in the first place, so that people would know what these Imams look like. All you've done lately is be a snarky bitch.

Hey BBD, maybe you should just edit the title of this thread to "RJ uses the term redneck - discuss" and start a new one.

As for Atlantic Southeast Airlines, one of the articles I read had comments from Delta, so maybe its an airline the larger ones use for some flights?

BBD, you've made it clear that RJ's use of the word redneck doesn't bother you. I hope I've made it equally clear that I don't give a fuck what you think about it. If I haven't, let me reiterate: I don't give a fuck what you think about it.

I don't think anyone minds you discussing whatever terms you'd like with rj. I'd encourage you to start a thread about it so that we could stick to the original topic of this thread here. (And yes, I realize this post is adding to the derailment.)

It's worse that I used the word "redeneck" than it is that another poster shows overt prejudice in saying he'd be worried about people dressed like Muslims and he'd be prepared to "jump them".

The problem with this position is no one "dreessed liek a Muslim" has tried an attack on US soil. It didn't happen on 9/11. It didn't happen with the Shoe Bomber. It didn't happen with Underwear Bomber. It didn't happen with the Times Square Bomber.

Thus to be worried about people "dressed like Muslims" is pure and unadulrterated prejudice and bigotry.

But that's OK. I didn't say it.

I don't think anyone minds you discussing whatever terms you'd like with rj. I'd encourage you to start a thread about it so that we could stick to the original topic of this thread here. (And yes, I realize this post is adding to the derailment.)

I'm done talking about it with RJ. If the pilot was uncomfortable, couldn't he have requested a Sky Marshal to board the flight? Memphis to NC would only be a 3 hour flight at most, it's hard to understand how this became such a big ordeal.

It's worse that I used the word "redeneck" than it is that another poster shows overt prejudice in saying he'd be worried about people dressed like Muslims and he'd be prepared to "jump them".

The problem with this position is no one "dreessed liek a Muslim" has tried an attack on US soil. It didn't happen on 9/11. It didn't happen with the Shoe Bomber. It didn't happen with Underwear Bomber. It didn't happen with the Times Square Bomber.

Thus to be worried about people "dressed like Muslims" is pure and unadulrterated prejudice and bigotry.

But that's OK. I didn't say it.

It's prejudice to be sure. But then again, we're all prejudiced about certain things, whether we admit it or not. We all pre-judge people and circumsances.

You exhibited one of your prejudices on this thread. You called these people rednecks with no real knowledge of the people you were talking about. You pre-judged them based on the circumstances.

It is not necessarily bigotry, though.

Calling them rednecks is just as bigoted and inflammatory as the story itself. Calling them rednecks makes you no better. Hate speech is hate speech no matter how you want to sugar coat it or rationalize it.

You've forgotten about the ability of libs to explain away reverse prejudice. It's..."nuanced"...or some other of their bullshit.

Hey BBD, why don't you check a dictionary before making dumb ass comments

Slur (noun): An insulting or disparaging remark or innuendo
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slur

Redneck (noun): sometimes disparaging : a white member of the southern rural laboring class
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/redneck?show=0&t=1304899695

In case that escaped your comprehension, the term "redneck" is most definitely a slur.

just curious... is "Asshole" an insulting or disparaging remark? Because you called me an asshole in your rep before I called you any kind of word in this thread.

Also, I never said it wasn't a slur. IT can certainly be perceived that way by certain people. Most of the people I know wear it as a badge of honor, and are proud of being called a redneck.

I was simply commenting on the habit of a good number of people on this board to take a lot more pleasure in debating semantics with rjkarl rather than debating politics. I just don't get it. It'd be nice to see some honest political debate, but people always insist on derailing it and obsessing over rj's choice of words.

just curious... is "Asshole" an insulting or disparaging remark? Because you called me an asshole in your rep before I called you any kind of word in this thread.

Also, I never said it wasn't a slur. IT can certainly be perceived that way by certain people. Most of the people I know wear it as a badge of honor, and are proud of being called a redneck.

I was simply commenting on the habit of a good number of people on this board to take a lot more pleasure in debating semantics with rjkarl rather than debating politics. I just don't get it. It'd be nice to see some honest political debate, but people always insist on derailing it and obsessing over rj's choice of words.

This was your exact quote on my page: "Redneck is not a slur, you dumbass. Go ahead and gray box rep me again" You and RJ can keep believing that it's not a slur, but you're both still wrong.

Yes, asshole is a disparaging remark. You want to keep neg repping me for stupid shit, and lying on the boards, I'll keep making disparaging remarks about you.

Redneck (noun): sometimes disparaging

Which is what i said. It's not ALWAYS disparaging. Your own definition proves my point.

Which is what i said. It's not ALWAYS disparaging. Your own definition proves my point.

Why don't I think RJ wouldn't be nearly intolerant with antisemetic remarks?

That's right, I don't have to guess. We've all suffered through your hissy fits in the past,

Hate is hate, RJ. For someone way past his prime, you'd think you'd be more mature.

RJ, you didn't say that. You said you were bigoted against bigots and you brought up a bunch of country songs. You weren't using it in jest, you weren't using it in a country song, or to describe the political party from the 30's.

You called them rednecks because they did something racist. That's like hearing that a liquor store was robbed and calling whomever did it, the n-word; It's a defamatory and bigoted assumption.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/08/muslims.kicked.off.plane/

Updated article has some more info.

Rahman, who is also a professor of Arabic at the University of Memphis, said he and his colleague cooperated throughout the process and thanked Transportation Security Administration agents and others for their kindness and courtesy. But he said, through intermediaries, that they had difficulty finding out why they were ever kicked off the plane.
One representative of Delta Air Lines, who claimed to be advocating on the two men's behalf, came out visibly red-faced after a long talk with the pilot, according to Rahman. This was after the plane had returned to the gate and Rahman and Zaghoul had gotten off and gone through a secondary screening process. Shortly thereafter, the plane took off -- without the men, who hadn't been allowed back on board.

Their lawyer, Mo Idlibi, told CNN on Saturday that neither man had done anything out of the ordinary, nor were they praying or chanting.

The Imams don’t believe the discrimination had anything to do with the death of al Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

“He got what he deserved,” said Abuelyaman, “so that’s end of story.”

Instead, they’re worried about everyday Americans who still misunderstand Muslims. But even the two men who were kicked off the plane hope people learn from it

Last edited:
I'm sure there's another side of the story, but that's a shame.

You hear a lot of rhetoric about how mainstream Muslims should do more to root out terrorism, but this is how the good Muslims get treated.

By the way, as some of you have learned, I'm NGArepping people who focus on one word that one poster used instead of the larger issues raised in this thread and pos repping those who call them out for it. Even if this forum was started in the wrong fashion, those of us who prefer reasoned discussion should do what we can to self-police it.

Last edited:
RJ, you didn't say that. You said you were bigoted against bigots and you brought up a bunch of country songs. You weren't using it in jest, you weren't using it in a country song, or to describe the political party from the 30's.

You called them rednecks because they did something racist. That's like hearing that a liquor store was robbed and calling whomever did it, the n-word; It's a defamatory and bigoted assumption.

Dude, seriously, you said you were done. Start another thread on the term "redneck" please.

We'll see what happens, but I'll be surprised if the pilot gets canned. Pilots don't exactly fall out of the sky.

ETA: The pun was unintentional.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/05/08/muslims.kicked.off.plane/

Updated article has some more info.

Rahman, who is also a professor of Arabic at the University of Memphis, said he and his colleague cooperated throughout the process and thanked Transportation Security Administration agents and others for their kindness and courtesy. But he said, through intermediaries, that they had difficulty finding out why they were ever kicked off the plane.
One representative of Delta Air Lines, who claimed to be advocating on the two men's behalf, came out visibly red-faced after a long talk with the pilot, according to Rahman. This was after the plane had returned to the gate and Rahman and Zaghoul had gotten off and gone through a secondary screening process. Shortly thereafter, the plane took off -- without the men, who hadn't been allowed back on board.

Their lawyer, Mo Idlibi, told CNN on Saturday that neither man had done anything out of the ordinary, nor were they praying or chanting.

The Imams don’t believe the discrimination had anything to do with the death of al Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

“He got what he deserved,” said Abuelyaman, “so that’s end of story.”

Instead, they’re worried about everyday Americans who still misunderstand Muslims. But even the two men who were kicked off the plane hope people learn from it

The frustration with the pilot who refused to take off with the men aboard makes it sound like he may have been a big part of the problem. Interested to hear more as it comes out.

Hypothetically, what if the pilot refused to take off because of the unrest of the other passengers...as in, he feared the other passengers may attack the two men and didn't want an incident to occur at 30,000 feet?

Back