• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My Feelings on Wake Basketball

My feelings Part II:

FatChickPuking.jpg

I don't have all the answers, obviously. It sounds to me like someone was upset with things happening behind the scenes (that Wellman knew before the rest of us did) and Dino was the fall guy for it.

If there was a real culture problem with our marquee athletic program then the AD was part of the problem. Getting rid of one guy makes no sense.

If there was a real culture problem with our marquee athletic program then the AD was part of the problem. Getting rid of one guy makes no sense.

Plus, if we are to buy that the "culture problem" was a big part of the hire, are we to believe that Jeff [Redacted] was the only coach in the country capable of cleaning up a program? Are we to believe, that there were no possible candidates that could run a clean program, but also had a history of on-court success???

Plus, if we are to buy that the "culture problem" was a big part of the hire, are we to believe that Jeff [Redacted] was the only coach in the country capable of cleaning up a program? Are we to believe, that there were no possible candidates that could run a clean program, but also had a history of on-court success???

Well said. Where was the evidence that he could clean up a program? Air Force was already clean. I'm not sure Colorado was dirty although he did let a lot of players go.

I'm not disagreeing with any of you, I think Bzzz needs to go at the very least. I'm just saying I think this is what they were thinking when they did what they did.

If this is what they were thinking when they did what they did, someone needs to be fired. Jesus Christ...

And Ph nailed it, IMHO. If we're going to change the culture, you start at the top. Isn't the AD at the top of the Athletics Program?

I think it's important to remember also, that it's not just abunch of disgruntled fans wondering these things, a lot of people outside Wake Forest I think wonder these things too. When Jeff [Redacted] was announced as our head coach, it wasn't just abunch of us who were hoping for a better name scratching our heads, it was also abunch of people without any bias one way or the other toward Wake Forest scratching their heads. Two years after the hire, the itch that caused all the scratching has just gotten worse.

The thing that hurts the most is we lost our reputation as giant killers altogether. We could pull top recruits with the glory of consistently challenging Duke and UNC. It was a lure for competitive kids that wanted to beat those guys, not just play them twice a year. Now, that is gone and I do not see it coming back anytime soon.

Won't even play them twice a year.

The thing that hurts the most is we lost our reputation as giant killers altogether. We could pull top recruits with the glory of consistently challenging Duke and UNC. It was a lure for competitive kids that wanted to beat those guys, not just play them twice a year. Now, that is gone and I do not see it coming back anytime soon.

Thank you. Captain Obvious!

That doesn't make any sense. If every other program at the school had the "culture" Wellman wanted to see, but the BB team didn't that is clearly on the BB coach. Dino was the coach and if the culture thing was an issue with Wellman then Dino is the guy that should be held responsible. Dino and his staff would be the guys responsible for making sure kids go to class, go to tutoring sessions, represent the school in positive light when at a public event etc. It's not the AD's job to police those things.

then why did the rest of the staff stay?

To make sure we kept the recruits that evil Dino recruited.

Keeping the recruiting class is EXACTLY why we can't fire Bzz this year. Everyone knows you don't fire a coach the summer before his top 20 recruiting class gets to campus! You'll lose all your recruits, and then you might only win 8 or 10 games the next season, and that would be unacceptable!

who were (apparently) part of the problem. that's why nobody buys this culture change bullshit.

Maybe he thought Dino was the main issue for anything going on since, you know, he was the head coach and all and in charge of the program. I'm not saying it makes sense but no one where really knows what went on with the firing of Dino so it's just the large group of Bzzouters spouting off against the people who think thee might have been underlying circumstances that haven't come out (or have if you talk to people that claim to be "in the know").

How'd that turn out for us?

Well, it certainly gave Bzz some more Dino guys he could tell to F off, wait for them to do something stupid, and then point to them as the reason Dino lost his job and he was now at Wake.

That doesn't make any sense. If every other program at the school had the "culture" Wellman wanted to see, but the BB team didn't that is clearly on the BB coach. Dino was the coach and if the culture thing was an issue with Wellman then Dino is the guy that should be held responsible. Dino and his staff would be the guys responsible for making sure kids go to class, go to tutoring sessions, represent the school in positive light when at a public event etc. It's not the AD's job to police those things.

This doesn't make any sense. I agree that it's not the AD's job to police such things, and that it was Dino's and his staff's responsibility to police such things. But if we had such a systemic cultural problem, why wouldn't we clean house completely and fire both Dino and his staff?!? Instead, Ron apparently made keeping the staff either a condition of employment or a strong recommendation. So for your theory to work, either the staff didn't know about all the bad stuff that was going on or were powerless to stop it but secretly wanted to. Pretty far fetched.

As for the original topic, yeah, I didn't bother emailing my friend here who I go to UVA games with to see if he wanted to go. And normally he emails me but didn't. He lived through Leitao so he must feel my pain. But it isn't just our hoops program. The other teams I like aren't in great shape either. MD also sucks, as does VT, and UVA is alright but 10-20 years ago, this team they have now would be like 7th-9th in the conference, not 3rd-4th. When Leonard Hamilton is probably the 3rd best coach in the current ACC, it means the conference is a joke.

Back