• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My Feelings on Wake Basketball

Maybe he thought Dino was the main issue for anything going on since, you know, he was the head coach and all and in charge of the program. I'm not saying it makes sense but no one where really knows what went on with the firing of Dino so it's just the large group of Bzzouters spouting off against the people who think thee might have been underlying circumstances that haven't come out (or have if you talk to people that claim to be "in the know").

Like I said earlier, unless he was schtupping Wellmans wife, or Sandusky'ing, there is no acceptable excuse. We've established that Dino was in over his head, but the player problems were going to sort themselves out no matter what coach was here. Bzz has acted as if he just did some spring cleaning to get rid of "bad apples", but Tony got rid of himself, Tabb got rid of himself with theft, JTT got a DUI, and Ari just didn't like Bzz.

Keeping the recruiting class is EXACTLY why we can't fire Bzz this year. Everyone knows you don't fire a coach the summer before his top 20 recruiting class gets to campus! You'll lose all your recruits, and then you might only win 8 or 10 games the next season, and that would be unacceptable!

Yeah, but we kept the recruiting class Dino lined up (which was supposed to be a pretty good one), and still only won 8 games last year, with who was supposed to be a better coach. If it's become evident (it has to many of us) that Bzzz needs to be canned, the sooner you do it the better off we are. How many are really pinning their hopes up that next year's class is really going to come in and make a big difference??? The AT&T class, didn't live up to anywhere near expectations as a whole. Last year's class was supposed to be a good class, remember how big a deal it was made out to be that [Redacted] was able to keep them onboard. Look at what's happened with that class. Other than McKie, who's a nice player, that class has been a big bust. I don't think keeping [Redacted] just because of next year's recruiting class is a good move at all. If he needs to go, he needs to go, but the problem is I don't think RW thinks he needs to go.

And also keeping Bz to keep the class makes no sense because we just showed that it's not that hard to keep a class with a new coach anyway.

The other problem with tau's premise is (1) this is men's basketball. If men's tennis was having culture problems, sure, pin it on the men's tennis coach. When the marquee program has culture problems, it's on the AD and the coach. The AD just can't scapegoat someone for that. The other problem is (2) football has had its share of culture problems under a continuous regime and there has been no discussion of changing coaches to address them.

Yeah, but we kept the recruiting class Dino lined up (which was supposed to be a pretty good one), and still only won 8 games last year, with who was supposed to be a better coach. If it's become evident (it has to many of us) that Bzzz needs to be canned, the sooner you do it the better off we are. How many are really pinning their hopes up that next year's class is really going to come in and make a big difference??? The AT&T class, didn't live up to anywhere near expectations as a whole. Last year's class was supposed to be a good class, remember how big a deal it was made out to be that [Redacted] was able to keep them onboard. Look at what's happened with that class. Other than McKie, who's a nice player, that class has been a big bust. I don't think keeping [Redacted] just because of next year's recruiting class is a good move at all. If he needs to go, he needs to go, but the problem is I don't think RW thinks he needs to go.

I was being sarcastic, because we did fire Dino the summer before his top 15 recruiting class, his class didn't leave, and winning 8 games was acceptable (apparently :rulz:) Buzzout homie. #Bzzgottago

I usually only realize that we are playing because I get text messages telling me when the game starts, the halftime score, and the final score. There have been a good number of times I have considered trying to figure out how to turn the text alerts off -- usually at the halftime score.

And also keeping Bz to keep the class makes no sense because we just showed that it's not that hard to keep a class with a new coach anyway.

The other problem with tau's premise is (1) this is men's basketball. If men's tennis was having culture problems, sure, pin it on the men's tennis coach. When the marquee program has culture problems, it's on the AD and the coach. The AD just can't scapegoat someone for that. The other problem is (2) football has had its share of culture problems under a continuous regime and there has been no discussion of changing coaches to address them.

the AD can scapegoat if that's truly the reason from the beginning. he can say that the outgoing staff (hc and assistants) were asked to do certain things, did not and were being let go. he could then say that things were going to change, and incoming head coach X had his full support during what were sure to be tough times.

he didn't say that at the beginning though. he's making it up as it goes along.

I usually only realize that we are playing because I get text messages telling me when the game starts, the halftime score, and the final score. There have been a good number of times I have considered trying to figure out how to turn the text alerts off -- usually at the halftime score.

But then you'd miss out on the back door cover.

Like I said earlier, unless he was schtupping Wellmans wife, or Sandusky'ing, there is no acceptable excuse. We've established that Dino was in over his head, but the player problems were going to sort themselves out no matter what coach was here. Bzz has acted as if he just did some spring cleaning to get rid of "bad apples", but Tony got rid of himself, Tabb got rid of himself with theft, JTT got a DUI, and Ari just didn't like Bzz.

As I have said before, there is precedence for doing nothing administratively for schtupping others' wives at WFU. And there has been worse. I find it unfathomable knowing the history that it would lead to the ouster of a head coach.

The stories alluding to there being infidelities was eased out later and that never gained traction. The "culture change" bullshit was eased out later and again, noone ever qualified what the fuck that is all about. I think it's all a ruse. If there were bonefide issues that caused Coach Gaudio's termination for cause, I seriously doubt we'd have a financial obligation to him and we could have hired anyone (ergo, no buyout to contend with).

As to whatever discipline issues have happened on Coach [Redacted]'s watch, again, I am just repeating myself but " . . . I see it as a coach that has had less control over guys that on the surface were kept in check by a previous coach. Nothing more. If I bring in kids on the margin and keep them in line and you fire me and all shit breaks loose, fuck you, you clean up your shit, don't blame me. "

As for the original topic, yeah, I didn't bother emailing my friend here who I go to UVA games with to see if he wanted to go. And normally he emails me but didn't. He lived through Leitao so he must feel my pain. But it isn't just our hoops program. The other teams I like aren't in great shape either. MD also sucks, as does VT, and UVA is alright but 10-20 years ago, this team they have now would be like 7th-9th in the conference, not 3rd-4th. When Leonard Hamilton is probably the 3rd best coach in the current ACC, it means the conference is a joke.

Yeah, that UVa team really isn't that good. Watching parts of the game I couldn't believe they were a top-20 team. College basketball has definitely declined in quality over the past 20 years. I don't need to debate the causes, because that's not the point. But I have less interst in watching college basketball overall when the product just isn't as good as I had grown accustomed to. And I'm certainly not intersted in watching a diminished overall product when the team I want to cheer for can't even compete.

Yeah, that UVa team really isn't that good. Watching parts of the game I couldn't believe they were a top-20 team. College basketball has definitely declined in quality over the past 20 years. I don't need to debate the causes, because that's not the point. But I have less interst in watching college basketball overall when the product just isn't as good as I had grown accustomed to. And I'm certainly not intersted in watching a diminished overall product when the team I want to cheer for can't even compete.

the 93 wake team (that lost to kentucky by 6000 points in the sweet 16) would run roughshod over the shitshow that is the acc this year

Doesn't that kind of point out Bzzz's issues? We beat UVa last year, the only ACC win we had. A year later they're in the top 20 and we're, well we still suck. I realize Mike Scott with out for most of the year last year and that made a huge difference for them, but Tony Bennett is developing that team because he's a good coach. I don't see any development with our team. We started out the season LAST year making too many turnovers, not rebounding well, taking too many bad shots, not playing solid defense and now I season and 3/4 later, we're still making too many turnovers, not rebounding well, taking too many bad shots, and not playing solid defense.

the 93 wake team (that lost to kentucky by 6000 points in the sweet 16) would run roughshod over the shitshow that is the acc this year

Doesn't that kind of point out Bzzz's issues? We beat UVa last year, the only ACC win we had. A year later they're in the top 20 and we're, well we still suck. I realize Mike Scott with out for most of the year last year and that made a huge difference for them, but Tony Bennett is developing that team because he's a good coach. I don't see any development with our team. We started out the season LAST year making too many turnovers, not rebounding well, taking too many bad shots, not playing solid defense and now I season and 3/4 later, we're still making too many turnovers, not rebounding well, taking too many bad shots, and not playing solid defense.

I agree with both of you.

The state of our basketball program is so sad. I go to the games and get angry and I left the last home game early because it was so bad.

The stories alluding to there being infidelities was eased out later and that never gained traction. The "culture change" bullshit was eased out later and again, noone ever qualified what the fuck that is all about. I think it's all a ruse. If there were bonefide issues that caused Coach Gaudio's termination for cause, I seriously doubt we'd have a financial obligation to him and we could have hired anyone (ergo, no buyout to contend with).

Usually, the only way to avoid a buyout in a contract is if there were major NCAA infractions. Keep in mind that each side's lawyers/agents hammer out contracts and there's no telling if Wellman and Dino signed a termination contract that amounts to "you keep quiet and so will we." Basically, all we really know that is completely grounded in unarguable fact is that Dino was fired and Buzz was hired.

We were fed some addition through subtraction BS. The problem is that they forgot to subtract the Bzz.

Usually, the only way to avoid a buyout in a contract is if there were major NCAA infractions. Keep in mind that each side's lawyers/agents hammer out contracts and there's no telling if Wellman and Dino signed a termination contract that amounts to "you keep quiet and so will we." Basically, all we really know that is completely grounded in unarguable fact is that Dino was fired and Buzz was hired.

We don't even know what the terms of the buyout are though. For all we know, there were performance clauses or something else that allows us to buy Bzz out for what he's worth, about $49.99.

That KY team was scary. Didn't they also take apart that FSU team with Sura, Ward and Cassell? Still can't figure out how they lost to Michigan.

And yes, our team that year was way better than anything Dick, UVA and FSU have this year.

Back