• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My Feelings on Wake Basketball

Haven't been to a game in 4 years... partially because I live far away, but also because I am not spending my hard earned money on this shitastic program. I would put myself more in the apathy category - hoping to get excited about the program once more.

It really all went downhill for me when Skip died. Tried to get excited about Dino and his 3 piece suits, but it just wasn't the same. Bzz is a trainwreck.

Also tough to get games up here, since we're almost never Nationally Broadcast.

That KY team was scary. Didn't they also take apart that FSU team with Sura, Ward and Cassell? Still can't figure out how they lost to Michigan.

And yes, our team that year was way better than anything Dick, UVA and FSU have this year.

That '93 team is better than UNC-CH and Duke too. It shouldn't be so difficult to put together a team that compete marginally in today's college basketball world.

That KY team was scary. Didn't they also take apart that FSU team with Sura, Ward and Cassell? Still can't figure out how they lost to Michigan.

And yes, our team that year was way better than anything Dick, UVA and FSU have this year.

It should've been more competitive, but there was no shame in losing to that KY team.

We don't even know what the terms of the buyout are though. For all we know, there were performance clauses or something else that allows us to buy Bzz out for what he's worth, about $49.99.

Which reinforces my point (in relation to Dino) because it could have been a substantial buyout (such as 80% of the contract) thus we couldn't afford anyone but Buzz (part of me prays that this is the case) OR we just really mucked up the hire (most of me fears that this is the case). Perhaps Buzz's contract is 3 years guaranteed and an eval will come in the third year.

Regardless, it's too damn depressing to give much thought:rulz:

Haven't been to a game in 4 years... partially because I live far away, but also because I am not spending my hard earned money on this shitastic program. I would put myself more in the apathy category - hoping to get excited about the program once more.

It really all went downhill for me when Skip died. Tried to get excited about Dino and his 3 piece suits, but it just wasn't the same. Bzz is a trainwreck.

Also tough to get games up here, since we're almost never Nationally Broadcast.

Why am I not surprised?

Which reinforces my point (in relation to Dino) because it could have been a substantial buyout (such as 80% of the contract) thus we couldn't afford anyone but Buzz (part of me prays that this is the case) OR we just really mucked up the hire (most of me fears that this is the case). Perhaps Buzz's contract is 3 years guaranteed and an eval will come in the third year.

Regardless, it's too damn depressing to give much thought:rulz:

Good news is that the new ACC ESPN Contract is going to bring each school $1-2 million more a year.

Maybe that's what we're waiting for, Racer. Maybe we can throw all of it at a coach who's actually worth the paycheck

Usually, the only way to avoid a buyout in a contract is if there were major NCAA infractions. Keep in mind that each side's lawyers/agents hammer out contracts and there's no telling if Wellman and Dino signed a termination contract that amounts to "you keep quiet and so will we." Basically, all we really know that is completely grounded in unarguable fact is that Dino was fired and Buzz was hired.

I am not sure that what applies to a state university, which has different transparency obligations than a private institution, applies here. Now you may certainly be right and that each side had agents working out iron-clad contracts. My thought however is that it's pretty unlikely a coach that stepped into the slot because of his mentor's death had a huge amount of leverage at the bargaining table during his signing or extension.

Think about this thing from 10,000 feet and think of the parties involved. When I do, I don't see some buy-out that says the university won't tattle on why they let him go. Then again, I have seen this whole thing as bullshit from day one and nothing in me lets me think it's anything but Wellman wanting to remove Skip to only have Dino land in his lap through [Skip's] unfortunate death. The ONLY thing floated as to why he let Dino go was about performance in March - if that's all Wellman decided to say then, I am not buying ANY after-the-fact inuendo because to me, none of that passes muster.

they lost to michigan in OT. partially because king shut down ford, and mainly because mashburn fouled out.

like HP said, that team is better than duke and unc too

Doesn't RW see what is happening here? Zero fan interest, no attendance, laughing stock of the ACC?

I am not sure that what applies to a state university, which has different transparency obligations than a private institution, applies here. Now you may certainly be right and that each side had agents working out iron-clad contracts. My thought however is that it's pretty unlikely a coach that stepped into the slot because of his mentor's death had a huge amount of leverage at the bargaining table during his signing or extension.

Think about this thing from 10,000 feet and think of the parties involved. When I do, I don't see some buy-out that says the university won't tattle on why they let him go. Then again, I have seen this whole thing as bullshit from day one and nothing in me lets me think it's anything but Wellman wanting to remove Skip to only have Dino land in his lap through [Skip's] unfortunate death. The ONLY thing floated as to why he let Dino go was about performance in March - if that's all Wellman decided to say then, I am not buying ANY after-the-fact inuendo because to me, none of that passes muster.

I would imagine that he had a little more leverage during the extension but I don't know that for fact. I disagree with you on Wellman wanting to remove Skip (but find it a refreshing hypothesis that may have some merit) because, though his last two seasons were bad and his seat was warming, he had more than enough capital and charisma to keep himself off the hot seat. If I may ask, why do you not think that the innuendos pass the muster?

Doesn't RW see what is happening here? Zero fan interest, no attendance, laughing stock of the ACC?

Question for those old enough. Do you feel worse now than you did during the Bob Staak years? I sure do. Maybe that's because I'm older now and more cynical, but I never felt this bad and hopeless about our hoops program under Staak as I do under [Redacted].

How can you watch this shit? It's painful to watch AND it's getting worse. I have so many better things I can do with two hours.

Unfortunately it only takes 10-15 minutes to determine the winner. So you can pretty much watch 10 minutes and move on. Sad sad state of affairs.

My parents and I used to get together to watch the games on TV occasionally, now they don't even want to talk about WFU Bball.

Question for those old enough. Do you feel worse now than you did during the Bob Staak years? I sure do. Maybe that's because I'm older now and more cynical, but I never felt this bad and hopeless about our hoops program under Staak as I do under [Redacted].

I would venture a guess that more people have quit watching now than they did back then.

Good news is that the new ACC ESPN Contract is going to bring each school $1-2 million more a year.

Can we add that to what we're currently paying Bzzzzz and buy a coach? Offer Stevens 5 mil a season. I'll pitch in... For the Love of God, I miss college hoops....

Way worse. I was a senior Staak's 1st year and went to every home game. It soon became apparent the Staaked Deck wasn't the answer. But I still watched whenever they were on TV when I was in law school. Back then, it was like he was taking us down, but we're Wake and we're the ACC - we'll dump him and get a real coach. While I make room for the possibility that we could land a great coach after Bz, I no longer believe it's a given - maybe 50/50% at best. Add to that this ain't yo daddy's ACC no longer. Look at the recent ACC hires. Guys like Shaka and Mooney are turning down ACC jobs. Gottfried, Turgeon and Brownell were okay hires, but hardly earth shattering. We won't even mention Wake, BC and GT. And I have even less faith that the next hire will be the answer if Wellman is making the decision.

they lost to michigan in OT. partially because king shut down ford, and mainly because mashburn fouled out.

like HP said, that team is better than duke and unc too

Kentucky was pulling away when Dale Brown seperated his shoulder on a media table and was out for the rest of the game with around 6 minutes to go. A freshman Tony Delk came in and took the green light to shoot a little too seriously and resembled a current year Nikita in bad shots taken and badly missed.

They still had a chance, even in OT, until Mash fouled out as Milhouse said already. At that point UK had no chance.

You probably didn't have a message board where everyone was constantly talking about the state of the program and how Bzz should go eat unwiped ass. That would have a huge impact on peoples opinion.

Back