• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

N.C Beaches, the next Amity Island

TARDAWG

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
We all know that sharks have been off the N.C. Coast since before the beaches were ever founded, but I have to think back to the mayor of Amityville in JAWS when approaching this July 4th. There was the one attack last friday, and then the two on Sunday that cost the limbs of two teenagers, but the number of videos from all those standing on shore this week is very alarming.

The family and I are headed to Holden for the 4th, and that is right in between the Ocean Isle attack and the Long Beach attacks, so do we go swimming and “ ring the dinner bell” like they did in JAWS, or just sweat our asses off in the upper 90 degree weather (predicted) and put our toes in the water? Yes I know we have been swimming with them each year, but the number of “active” sharks has never been like this in my lifetime on this strip of N.C. Beaches.

Saw the one expert on Monday say he would be surprised if the attacks were not from the one shark, but there seem to be more sightings than I can ever remember.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Obviously everyone down here is going crazy about it. I end up at the beach a few days each month and I don't think these recent events will affect me getting in the ocean very much. I figure its a crap shoot anytime you get in there anyhow.

As an aside, I heard that earlier today a killer whale was spotted breaching down by Bald Head Island. That would be cool to see.

We're heading down to Oak Island in August and I don't intend to change my habits. How many thousands of people were in the water in Brunswick County last weekend? And 2 people were attacked, 1 of whom was playing around the pier? Those are pretty favorable odds. Seems like if you take pretty basic precautions like avoiding swimming during early morning/evening hours and don't go into water wearing a fish costume or bleeding from open wounds, your odds of being attacked drop even further.

Also, how much sweet poon is that 16-year-old going to score from having an arm bitten off by a shark? Heaps, probably. Chicks dig that kind of thing. He'll also probably never have to buy a beer for himself in any bar so long as he is willing to tell the tale of his shark attack. Sure, he may have to learn how to wipe his ass with his other hand, and it'll be tough to really tuck into a big plate of crab legs, but overall it's a pretty small price to pay.

If you're worried about sharks in the water, you may want to rethink the risk of driving to the beach...

I'd be much more concerned about stepping on the business end of a hypodermic needle full of old monkey jizz that was buried in the sand.

All this said, if the sea snakes ever discover the NC coast, I'm out forever. The most poisonous snake on earth. They are dastardly.

but the number of videos from all those standing on shore this week is very alarming.

Yes I know we have been swimming with them each year, but the number of “active” sharks has never been like this in my lifetime on this strip of N.C. Beaches.

You do realize that this is only because of the attacks, right? Shark sightings happen all of the time. It's only the ease of sharing on social media and the recent attacks that are causing them to be seen by so many over the last few days. It's a feeding frenzy of shark videos (many shot in past years but being passed off as current). I can't remember a summer in a long time that I haven't seen a shark at the beach. Most people just aren't paying attention.

Last edited:
In Florida we have a deadly bacteria in the ocean water that has already killed a couple of people.

This reminds me of the "Summer of the shark" a few years back. Same thing - and IIRC, experts were basically like, yeah, it's the same number of sharks and attacks, but the media is just hyping it up. And with social media, it's even more frenzied.

I would have to think if you avoid dawn and dusk, fishing/chummed areas, etc, you're going to be fine.

We're headed down to EI in August. Curious if it will be old news by then or not. My mom sent me a video yesterday of a bunch of sharks around Bogue Pier...where people were obviously fishing.

And if you are menstruating, give El Chupe a call, girl. He'll treat you right. Yeahhhhh.

Back