• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

N.C Beaches, the next Amity Island

So, given the choice between having your arm bitten off by a shark or having a leg bitten off by a shark, which is more awesome? Missing a leg SOUNDS like it would be tougher, maybe because your legs are bigger than your arms (?), but when you think about it, I think it might be worse to not have an arm because then you wouldn't be able to easily eat one of those big deli sandwiches or properly motorboat a lady.

You have a peg leg or one of those Oscar Pistorious legs, and yeah, your NFL career is probably over, but you're still going to be able to walk around, so how much is your daily life impacted REALLY? In contrast, lose an arm and a stand-up 69 becomes impossible and that is a terrible tragedy.

So, given the choice between having your arm bitten off by a shark or having a leg bitten off by a shark, which is more awesome? Missing a leg SOUNDS like it would be tougher, maybe because your legs are bigger than your arms (?), but when you think about it, I think it might be worse to not have an arm because then you wouldn't be able to easily eat one of those big deli sandwiches or properly motorboat a lady.

You have a peg leg or one of those Oscar Pistorious legs, and yeah, your NFL career is probably over, but you're still going to be able to walk around, so how much is your daily life impacted REALLY? In contrast, lose an arm and a stand-up 69 becomes impossible and that is a terrible tragedy.

Losing the leg is way easier imo.

Built in excuses to skip legs day? Yes please.

Bro, do you even lift legs? Oh. My bad, bro.

We spend a couple weeks down in Hilton Head every summer, and at least 3 or 4 times a week I have to ask someone to stop surf fishing with cut bait.

We spend a couple weeks down in Hilton Head every summer, and at least 3 or 4 times a week I have to ask someone to stop surf fishing with cut bait.

One or two lines with cut bait won't attract any more sharks than the thousands of bait fish swimming around out there naturally. Swimming near chumming or a pier is one thing, but surf fishermen aren't drawing sharks to the beach.

Last edited:
Ya'll need to check the stats. NC averages 4 shark bites a years.
So, already got 3 so only 1 more this year.

I like how this is described as "Watch a Man's Terrifying Encounter with a Shark..." and it's 47 seconds of him filming a shark splashing around in the water while he's standing safely on the shore. This is false advertising, I tells ya! I want my money back.

I was going to say the same thing. I expected a shaky video of him fighting off a shark or it lunging at him.

TERRIFYING SHARK VIDEO, GUYS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-CB0dOPgw

Ya'll need to check the stats. NC averages 4 shark bites a years.
So, already got 3 so only 1 more this year.

Sweet, need to get one more before I head to the beach after the 4th.

Please tell me you're joking

Given that it's illegal to surf fish for sharks on the HHI beaches, and the only reason people are using cut bait is to catch sharks, then no I'm not joking.

Given that it's illegal to surf fish for sharks on the HHI beaches, and the only reason people are using cut bait is to catch sharks, then no I'm not joking.

I've used cut bait many times in my life, with no intention to ever catch a shark.

Here's the shark I caught last memorial day 3 miles off OIB

neesU0s.jpg

v9VA3ku.jpg

Here is one I saw today, and a few on Facebook yesterday but too lazy to link. Spoke with neighbors at the beach, who I trust, and they said they saw one as well. “Friends of Holden Beach” on Facebook have pictures posted.

http://www.people.com/article/shark-video-ocean-isle-north-carolina-beach

I saw something like that a couple years ago at Carolina Beach. A 5-6 ft shark was swimming parallel to the beach along the breakers, and you could see him then lose as the waves broke over him. It was about 6:30-7pm and nobody was in the water anyway. It was a curiosity for onlookers, but without any recent attacks, nobody was scared to go in the water the next day.

Beach cams
http://www.surfchex.com/carolina-beach-web-cam.php

The brave, or the stupid, pretty much had the beach to themselves when I checked yesterday afternoon.

I'll be in Litchfield so if they're moving south they'll have to feast on the rednecks in Myrtle for a while before they get to me.

I've been going to the NC and SC beaches for 40+ years and I have never seen a shark from the beach or when I was in the water. From a pier, yes, but pretty far out. I always assumed they were around but have never spotted one.

Back