• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

N.C Beaches, the next Amity Island

So, speaking as a non-fisherman and someone who generally prefers to spend my time on the beach under an umbrella napping and drinking beers and trying to keep my kids from eating fistfuls of sand, what do you guys do when you catch a shark? Do you keep it and stuff it? Is your house full of amaaaaazing taxidermied hammerhead sharks mounted proudly above fireplaces? Or do you throw them back? If the latter, how do you take it off the hook? It is, after all, a goddamn shark and has goddamn shark teeth. I assume you must proceed carefully. Or do you just cut the line and let the shark swim away with the hook in its gullet, as if to say, "how you like dem apples, you shark bastard?"

Most "sharks" that are being caught are not very big. Young sand sharks. Obviously still have teeth that could do damage if not handled properly, but you aren't losing any limbs handling these things. I either dehook them or cut the line if its too much trouble. The hook will rust out in a few days. If I'm deep sea fishing I'll admit I normally gaffe them then gut the shark. That'll get some around here pretty butthurt but it causes the other sharks to feed on that shark and leave your baits alone.

So, speaking as a non-fisherman and someone who generally prefers to spend my time on the beach under an umbrella napping and drinking beers and trying to keep my kids from eating fistfuls of sand, what do you guys do when you catch a shark? Do you keep it and stuff it? Is your house full of amaaaaazing taxidermied hammerhead sharks mounted proudly above fireplaces? Or do you throw them back? If the latter, how do you take it off the hook? It is, after all, a goddamn shark and has goddamn shark teeth. I assume you must proceed carefully. Or do you just cut the line and let the shark swim away with the hook in its gullet, as if to say, "how you like dem apples, you shark bastard?"

I catch bonnetheads and atlantic sharpnose (typically on accident) all the time...they are typically 3ft or under and easily manageable/controllable so it's not very likely that i'll get bitten....but sometimes it's tough to get the hook out though because shark skin (not to mention the jaw) is tough and the barb catches. If I can't easily release the shark I'll flatten the barb and see if that helps...if it doesn't then I'll try a bit harder, but once I feel the sharks been out of the water for too long I'll just cut the hook in half (if it's small enough to be cut) or just cut the line off at the hook....eventually it'll rust out of the sharks mouth (although it's clearly not an ideal situation for the animal...but better than killing it from being out of the water or stressing it too badly). If you're targeting big sharks....say black tips or bigger (i.e. sharks that may be difficult to control) then I would definintely have some long handled needle nose pliers and I would probably immediately move to flatten the barb and if that doesn't work then just cut the hook off (you'll be dealing with at least a 6/0 hook, so cutting the hook would require more cutting power than i keep in my tackle box).
The only real trophy from a shark is the jaw. Taxidermist don't actually use any part of the fish (maybe the jaw in sharks) when "stuffing" a fish. Any stuffed fish is purely artistic interpretation. You can just show the taxidermist a picture of your fish and they'll make a "stuffed" version of it (which is to say, you could have them make an extremely exaggerated version of your fish if you wanted to).

The only real trophy from a shark is the jaw.

Whaaaaat? That is a failure of motherfucking imagination right there. Man, if I caught a shark, I would stuff that thing like Paddington Bear and put it right in the middle of my living room. Like, you would not walk into my home without being forced to spend several minutes silently admiring my quarry. At the very least, I'm rocking one of these bad boys above the marital bed so that as I make my love into Wife, she will gaze upon this fish, and the power and majesty of the mounted beast head will be imparted into me, her lover, as I am knocking those boots:

sault-sainte-marie-shark-antlers.jpg

Most "sharks" that are being caught are not very big. Young sand sharks. Obviously still have teeth that could do damage if not handled properly, but you aren't losing any limbs handling these things. I either dehook them or cut the line if its too much trouble. The hook will rust out in a few days. If I'm deep sea fishing I'll admit I normally gaffe them then gut the shark. That'll get some around here pretty butthurt but it causes the other sharks to feed on that shark and leave your baits alone.

That's pretty much what we do. The deciding point is if the fish or shark has swallowed the hook to where I can't get it out. Also like fish, the young sand shark tend to swim in schools. Once you get one you get 10 and no fish. It can make for a very annoying process when you are trying to catch some fresh fish. Thankfully we typically come back with enough to fill our freezer.

We do mostly inshore fishing at Wrightsville (Mason's Inlet, Rich's Inlet, etc) and last year couldn't get away from the baby sharks. They were everywhere and love finger mullet.

4ce9157502b97bfb7e0e53a51837939d.jpg

Oaks island is shark infested and even dave matthews won't go in water anymore trust me don't get more than knee deep there

Just booked at Oak Island for late July. I need a few more people to go ahead and get shark rekt so the averages play to my favor.

I plan on swimming next to the pier after bathing in chum, so I gotta make sure I'm bulletproof prior to shit doing down.

may the odds be ever in your favor

Just booked at Oak Island for late July. I need a few more people to go ahead and get shark rekt so the averages play to my favor.

I plan on swimming next to the pier after bathing in chum, so I gotta make sure I'm bulletproof prior to shit doing down.
Eat rare steak and drink a lot of booze so you puke too.

Back