• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

N.C Beaches, the next Amity Island

Here's the shark I caught last memorial day 3 miles off OIB

neesU0s.jpg

v9VA3ku.jpg

What kind? That water is way bluer than along the beach. Thanks Cape Fear river.

I've been going to the NC and SC beaches for 40+ years and I have never seen a shark from the beach or when I was in the water. From a pier, yes, but pretty far out. I always assumed they were around but have never spotted one.

Shoot, I've had the opposite. We primarily fish when at the beach. As a minimum we catch 15 sharks a year in less than one week.

I dont have any problem with surf fishing bc I am scared it will bring in sharks, I have a problem with assholes having five lines spread out on a busy beach and then letting their kids cast them in every direction while other kids try to swim, bike, walk, throw a ball, and everthing else people share a beach for. Assholes.

I dont have any problem with surf fishing bc I am scared it will bring in sharks, I have a problem with assholes having five lines spread out on a busy beach and then letting their kids cast them in every direction while other kids try to swim, bike, walk, throw a ball, and everthing else people share a beach for. Assholes.

Amen sister.

Two weeks ago I fished the inlet between OIB and Sunset, 2 rods for table fish and 1 rod for sharks. There were a few fishermen on the OIB side but for the most part there weren't any families until a dad with his two boys showed up. The two kids swam across the inlet several times racing each other, about 25yds from my lines. Swimming inlets is not quite as dumb as swimming near piers but it's close. With a pier people cut up their fish and throw over the carcasses for sharks and other opportunistic predators to eat. With an inlet there aren't carcasses but it serves as a superhighway that funnels sharks and other species that cruise between the ICW and ocean. Like SHD said in his first post it's important to reduce your odds of a shark attack by not swimming at certain times of day (night is the worst time) and not swimming in certain areas with a higher concentration of sharks (piers, inlets).

Given that it's illegal to surf fish for sharks on the HHI beaches, and the only reason people are using cut bait is to catch sharks, then no I'm not joking.

That's just not even close to true. I hate catching sharks and regularly use cut bait.

A couple of pieces of cut bait on a hook aren't calling in sharks from miles around. If a fishermen is actively chumming with 5 gallon buckets of cut fish, that's one thing. Cut bait is only going to attract a shark to your hook that was already swimming by in the first place. They are out there regardless of what the fisherman has on the end of his line. I've stepped on or been brushed by a shark 4-5 times over the years in the breakers. Rent a stand-up paddle board, head out beyond the breakers and look around for a bit...that's where there big guys hang out.

I'm not a pro shark fisherman but cut bait doesn't throw off enough scent for me. I prefer a fish head with some guts dangling for good measure. I've never used it but apparently skate wing is a really good bait for sharks.

Living in Wrightstville Beach 1989 and working at the Blockade Runner we use to finish work around 1am and then drink beer and swim in the sound off my parents dock. One morning with a hug hangover I woke up to a crowd standing on our dock where a fisherman had caught a 13’ hammerhead, not more night swimming for me after that.

Yeah, that's why I fish in the morning.

Whenever I'm surf fishing and I catch a small fish, I grab a bigger hook and use him for bait and catch a bigger fish. Repeat until I'm dragging in a Great White out of the surf.

So, speaking as a non-fisherman and someone who generally prefers to spend my time on the beach under an umbrella napping and drinking beers and trying to keep my kids from eating fistfuls of sand, what do you guys do when you catch a shark? Do you keep it and stuff it? Is your house full of amaaaaazing taxidermied hammerhead sharks mounted proudly above fireplaces? Or do you throw them back? If the latter, how do you take it off the hook? It is, after all, a goddamn shark and has goddamn shark teeth. I assume you must proceed carefully. Or do you just cut the line and let the shark swim away with the hook in its gullet, as if to say, "how you like dem apples, you shark bastard?"

Depends on how he's hooked, but I throw back basically everything I catch (when I'm not doing what I mentioned in my previous post). There's no shame in cutting the line or just detaching the hook from the leader. You hate to lose a rig though.

Whenever I'm surf fishing and I catch a small fish, I grab a bigger hook and use him for bait and catch a bigger fish. Repeat until I'm dragging in a Great White out of the surf.

Same strategy with women?

Back