• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Name The Last Five Concerts You Paid To Attend

Oldmandeac, have you bought any of the surround sound remixes of the old Yes albums? Steven Wilson has been doing them (that was actually the last concert I saw and paid for. Oops. Will edit my previous post), so they sound great. They have the original stereo mixes, needle drop recordings, then new stereo and surround mixes from Wilson. Definitely worthwhile.

I'm not sure if Alan White's playing has slowed down, but the guy does more than keep a beat. I think the drumming on Relayer is the best drumming on any of the Yes albums. Just incredible.

Oldmandeac, have you bought any of the surround sound remixes of the old Yes albums? Steven Wilson has been doing them (that was actually the last concert I saw and paid for. Oops. Will edit my previous post), so they sound great. They have the original stereo mixes, needle drop recordings, then new stereo and surround mixes from Wilson. Definitely worthwhile.

I'm not sure if Alan White's playing has slowed down, but the guy does more than keep a beat. I think the drumming on Relayer is the best drumming on any of the Yes albums. Just incredible.

I have them all. Tales of Topographic Oceans is truly amazing. Wilson has done other groups as well moat notably Jethro Tull. What is interesting about those is how there were movie concepts behind Passion Play (and a whole abandon album) War Child and Too Old To Rock n Roll but Too Young To Die.

In general, I am an audio/video-phil. I order all of new releases with the 5.1 surround mix (Marillion and Steve Hackett rountinely provide both). I have the original Yes, Genesis, ELP cds, the remastered versions, and all 5.1 versions available. I also have unopened vinyl copies of all their albums I bought while still at Wake (my thinking is they'd go out of print at some point and so I wanted a good copy once my originals wore out...didn't foresee cd's and digital media back then)

Alan White was a phenomenal drummer (did you know he played with John Lennon). I am referring to concert appearances over the last five or so years

I have them all. Tales of Topographic Oceans is truly amazing. Wilson has done other groups as well moat notably Jethro Tull. What is interesting about those is how there were movie concepts behind Passion Play (and a whole abandon album) War Child and Too Old To Rock n Roll but Too Young To Die.

In general, I am an audio/video-phil. I order all of new releases with the 5.1 surround mix (Marillion and Steve Hackett rountinely provide both). I have the original Yes, Genesis, ELP cds, the remastered versions, and all 5.1 versions available. I also have unopened vinyl copies of all their albums I bought while still at Wake (my thinking is they'd go out of print at some point and so I wanted a good copy once my originals wore out...didn't foresee cd's and digital media back then)

Alan White was a phenomenal drummer (did you know he played with John Lennon). I am referring to concert appearances over the last five or so years

Yeah, I have some of Wilson's other mixes too, notably his XTC remixes and of course his own solo stuff and with Porcupine Tree. His mix of Oranges & Lemons is incredible. I wish Pink Floyd would let him do their catalog. The surround mix of Dark Side is pretty great as is, but the one they did of Wish You Were Here a few years back is not that great.

I just got Tales From Topographic Oceans a few months ago. Honestly, I'd never heard it in its entirety. It has its moments, but I think the criticism of it is warranted. They could've condensed it into one awesome album or maybe even three sides of material. Instead, it just feels forced to have 4 songs for 4 sides. To each his own, though. It's great moments are definitely great, though.

I discovered that Rush has done some surround mixes of their older stuff the other day. Got Farewell To Kings today and thought it could've been better mixed. They don't really take full advantage of the format, preferring to throw reverb sounds and the occasional percussion or synth swoosh in the back. They could do better. I mean, Peart's stupid drumkit was in a circle back then. You can surround that thing the way he set it up.

Some of the best surround mixes I have are of Elton John of all people. I really think they need to go back and do all the classic albums in surround sound. It just opens up the songs so much more.

One of the great frustrations is having all those great talents creating such great music with such restrictions on recording equipment and instruments. I often wonder what they would do with today's technology at the height of their creative abilities...

One of the great frustrations is having all those great talents creating such great music with such restrictions on recording equipment and instruments. I often wonder what they would do with today's technology at the height of their creative abilities...

Assuming they had the same attitudes, probably pretty great. The problem is today's recording ease leads to a lot of cutting corners, TOO MUCH perfection, and less soul/groove. As a result, much less discipline and effort to improve as a band. There are exceptions, of course, but few and far between.

Dave Alvin and the Guilty Ones streaming live from Darryl's House tonight. I've seen Dave live more than any other artist. Anyone who loves rock and blues and has not seen Dave in person has a massive hole in their rock resume. Yeah his voice is rough, he'll be first to tell you, but his songwriting is elite and his work on the guitar...he's a god.

Back