• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Name The Last Five Concerts You Paid To Attend

Gonna go see Randy Rodgers Band with my girl Thursday night. Looking forward to that one.

So I'm definitely going to the Tennis/Spoon show in Raleigh on the 7th, even if I have to go alone.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

If this happened to be a "Last Six Concerts" thread then I would have included Ben Folds.

Just noticed The Shins are in Raleigh Thursday, Friday would suck but I can't remember the last time they were even on the road.

Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman (now Yes featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman) (Austin, TX)
Steve Hackett - solo material including Wolflight and Genesis sets (Atlanta )
Kraftwerk 3D (Dallas)
Ian Anderson performing Jethro Tull (Atlanta)
Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure tour (Dallas)

Just missed Bryan Ferry last month as I was out of town on business and couldn't get to Nashville to see Hackett and the newly added Wind and Wuthering Genesis materialize

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've paid to go to a show. I think the two most recent were:

Rodriguez at El Rey in Los Angeles
Gary Clark, Jr. at the Fonda Theater in Los Angeles

Torn on whether to go with the "humblebrag" joke or the "cheap" joke

Hmmm...

Echo & The Bunnymen
Muse
The Cure
Duran Duran
ETA Steven Wilson. How the hell did I forget that? What a fantastic show that was.

Holy shit that's a gay list (except for Steven WIlson).

Beyond that, it's tough to remember. I guess it would be whoever played at the local festival last year. Looking at lineups now, it was the tail end of Frampton and all of John Waite. Also a bit of Soul Asylum. I don't really count that festival, though. I get those tix on the cheap.

Saw The Cult too, but didn't pay for that one, as my band was playing the Foundation Room at HOB that night.

Last edited:
Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman (now Yes featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman) (Austin, TX)
Steve Hackett - solo material including Wolflight and Genesis sets (Atlanta )
Kraftwerk 3D (Dallas)
Ian Anderson performing Jethro Tull (Atlanta)
Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure tour (Dallas)

Just missed Bryan Ferry last month as I was out of town on business and couldn't get to Nashville to see Hackett and the newly added Wind and Wuthering Genesis materialize

from one old man prog fan to another, solid work here. Didn't realize Anderson Rabin Wakeman were out playing. reminds me of the late 80s early 90s when Yes and Anderson/Bruford/Wakeman/Howe were swapping tours and squabling over the name. Was always a Bruford fan and love the classic Yes lineup but really loved Big Generator as a high school senior.

Hmmm...

Echo & The Bunnymen
Muse
The Cure
Duran Duran

Holy shit that's a gay list.

Beyond that, it's tough to remember. I guess it would be whoever played at the local festival last year. Looking at lineups now, it was the tail end of Frampton and all of John Waite. Also a bit of Soul Asylum. I don't really count that festival, though. I get those tix on the cheap.

Saw The Cult too, but didn't pay for that one, as my band was playing the Foundation Room at HOB that night.

sweet, how was it?

from one old man prog fan to another, solid work here. Didn't realize Anderson Rabin Wakeman were out playing. reminds me of the late 80s early 90s when Yes and Anderson/Bruford/Wakeman/Howe were swapping tours and squabling over the name. Was always a Bruford fan and love the classic Yes lineup but really loved Big Generator as a high school senior.

Yes featuring ARW will tour this fall with new album out in 2018...
Yes is touring this summer (Yestival along with Carl Palmer"s Legacy). Of course, Yes is close to the edge of being a tribute band these days... Steve Howe has been with them the longest and leads the show (he replaced Peter Banks). Geoff Downes keyboards (Buggles, Asia with Howe, Palmer, John Wetton and Yes on 1Drama (in place of Rick Wakeman), Fly From Here (replacing Oliver Wakeman who was shown the Jon Anderson and Benoit David style abrupt exit) and on Heaven & Earth), Billy Sherwood (unofficial member of Yes for Open Your Eyes and The Ladder), Conspriacy (with Chris Squire), Circa (various ex-Yes personnel including Tony Kaye, and picked as Squire's successor before Squire died, will also join Downes and Palmer for upcoming Asia tour as the replacement for John Wetton who again followed in Greg Lake's path by also dying of cancer), Alan White on drums although there is a back up drummer now as a result of White's back surgery , and Jon Davidson (from Glass Hammer).

BTW, Yes also headlines an annual prog rock cruise called Cruise To The Edge. The year I went there were 28 prog bands including Steve Hackett, Marillion, UK (John Wetton, Eddie Jobson but no Bill Buford), Tangerine Dream, Stick Men (Tony Levin), 3 Friends (Gentle Giant), Renaissance, PFM (the Italian ELP), Strawbs, Simon Collins (son of Phil), IO Earth and many others

Last edited:
I saw the old Yes lineup reunited around 1998 or so. Great show. Steve Howe looked like the cryptkeeper then, even moreso when I saw him a few years back with the original Asia lineup. No Jon Anderson is one thing, but no Chris Squire means they're pretty much dead to me. Squire more than anyone was the sound of Yes. Can't say that about a lot of bass players.

The Yestival is coming to Greensboro.

I love their early stuff and 90125 was a big deal when I was in HS. I have seen them 5 or 6 times over the years.

The Union Album was weak, but the tour was great with the combination of the 80s lineup with the classic lineup.

Last edited:
The Yestival is coming to Greensboro.

I love their early stuff and 90125 was a big deal when I was in HS. I have seen them 5 or 6 times over the years.

The Union Album was weak, but the tour was great with the combination of the 80s lineup with the classic lineup.

Rick Wakeman called it the Onion album because it stunk. Anderson, Buford, Wakeman, Howe were midway through the 2nd album. Meanwhile, Squire was working with Rabin, Kaye and White on a album under the name of Cinema I believe (which is what they were going to be called for 90125 until Squire asked Anderson to listen and sing on it. Anderson said if I sing iwe should be called Yes). Some management person had the bright idea to lump the two together. I think Wakeman commented that when he heard the final cut he didn't recognize a lot of the keyboard parts as they replaced a lot of what he had contributed! The only good thing is Rabin and Wakeman became friends on that tour and is the reason for ARW today.

I have seen Yes 16 times and the last two have been a struggle as the musicianship is slipping. White just keeps a beat. Downes is great but not Wakeman. Howe skips over a lot of the intricate notes that define his sound over the years. And, for me, there is no Yes without Jon Anderson. Lookup Jon Anderson with Trans Atlantic from a prog cruise from a few years ago on YouTube. .. they do an incredible version of Revealing Science of God from Tales of Topographic Oceans (my favorite)

I heard Tony Levin play bass during the ABWH show (Memphis opening show of I recall) and while Squire is unique (he made bass guitar a lead instrument) I can't say I missed Squire. But, Squire was awesome.

But, another recommendation for Squire at his best... find the cd he did with Billy Sherwood as Conspiracy titled The Unknown. Half a World Away, Conspriacy, and one other are some of the best kick ass Squire bass playing ever!

Back