• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC Deacs, Rise Up: A Call to Action for FSU on Saturday

THEY'RE REELING FROM THE LOSS OF POPPE.

Article sums up the feelings of Wake fans nicely.

Not trying to answer for Tribble, but the general student sentiment is apathy if it's anything like it was when I graduated 9 months ago (feel weird that it's been 9 months)

I don't really think it's a straw man that players might be offended by people yelling at Bzz throughout the game. It's something I've thought about but at the end of the day am persuaded that it's the right thing to do from the perspective of the team improving and the players getting a better coach.

Yep. I don't think people are going to be cheering against the players, obviously, but you're making a basketball game that should be about them and their efforts into something else entirely. I know it's for the "greater good", but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it... and I suspect that's why a lot of the support you see on the boards doesn't necessarily translate into masses of people willing to help out in person.

Nicely done. I think you hit the nail on the head in your piece. What is your take on how the student body feels about the state of the basketball team?

Not to answer for him, but it's a lot less Bzzout than I would hope. It seems like there a few different type of students. The BzzOut ones: Wake lifers that have followed long enough to know this isn't Wake Forest basketball, smart/savvy and passionate students, students that know enough about sports to realize how shitty he is. The BzzWait ones: Those that realize he isn't great, but either don't follow enough to want him gone or have been victim to athletic department propaganda. The BzzIn ones or really the BzzDon'tCare: Those that are completely delusional and think he is going to take the program back to the top of the ACC, those that just don't really care but go to Wake and Heart the Deacs!. This last group seems to be what the largest section of students are. BzzOut is the minority, but there might be 5% that are. The problem is that the 5% is probably too apathetic.

Do they have editors? That first paragraph is horrible.

That is poor writing throughout. Despite that, he makes good points and it's good to see the complacency argument that I've been making for years out in the open.

Of course they have editors. Wake kids just aren't the brightest sometimes.

That's one of the saddest things I've seen, 15.

Yep. I don't think people are going to be cheering against the players, obviously, but you're making a basketball game that should be about them and their efforts into something else entirely. I know it's for the "greater good", but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it... and I suspect that's why a lot of the support you see on the boards doesn't necessarily translate into masses of people willing to help out in person.

In theory, the best time to stage a protest would have been during some meaningless shit game earlier in the season.

As improbable as it seems, the FSU game is actually winnable and important for the team. Perhaps you want your protest to be on a "big stage," but you might also want to avoid having your protest actually alter the psyche of a team or the outcome of a meaningful game.

Someone could give the guys on the team a "heads up" that this isn't against them at all, #BuzzOut is 100% behind the players. If they half expect something, it won't totally distract them when winter hits.

That's one of the saddest things I've seen, 15.

Oh believe me, it's soul crushing. I can talk to my brother about Wake basketball for an hour or two, but I try to talk to some of my friends about it for 5 minutes and they just don't give a shit.

Someone could give the guys on the team a "heads up" that this isn't against them at all, #BuzzOut is 100% behind the players. If they half expect something, it won't totally distract them when winter hits.

That's probably best, but kids are kids, and these kids are going to protect their own. Even if they're warned, they're sure to be pissed off about the whole ordeal.

It's not about comfort, dude. If anything, it's about embracing the uncomfortable.

Oh well. Some people have it in them, some don't. To quote ole' Kurt, "So it goes."

Do they have editors? That first paragraph is horrible.

That is poor writing throughout. Despite that, he makes good points and it's good to see the complacency argument that I've been making for years out in the open.

Dear Lord, do you go out of your way to be miserable, or does it just come naturally at this point?

It's a fine article, and much better than many of the pieces I wrote for the OG&B many moons ago. Glad I wasn't frequenting the boards back then to see what an old ass grad student at Duke thought about my weekly football game recaps. (I especially recall going through an extended alliteration period in my articles back then, the horror!) Writing is a craft that, unlike lesser pursuits such as sociology, takes a lot of time and experience to hone. College newspapers and literary magazines are just the beginning of that long, rocky process.

Good work, Tribblite. Keep banging that complacency drum, as you can. It's a recurring problem that seems to be getting worse.

Last edited:
That's probably best, but kids are kids, and these kids are going to protect their own. Even if they're warned, they're sure to be pissed off about the whole ordeal.

They're getting a $4 million liberal arts education (or whatever) for free. They'll be fine. I somehow doubt Saturday will be the first time they've heard Wake fans don't like/support their coach.

That lurker would be me. Thanks for the shout out. My friends and I are definitely going to the game on Saturday and we definitely know what the deal is. I'd seriously give anything to have a competent coach at Wake.

Fan base, tradition, location, and women selection. Wake has a huge disadvantage to most of the other universities you mentioned. And that is something that will never change. This right here "But that hasn’t stopped me from listening to older students and longtime fans who have slowly watched the decay of excellence that’s been Wake’s most visible revenue sports: football and basketball." is completely wrong in regards to football. We have never had excellence to decay in football, before Grobe we were the second most losing program in FBS just ahead of Kent St.

Fan base, tradition, location, and women selection. Wake has a huge disadvantage to most of the other universities you mentioned. And that is something that will never change. This right here "But that hasn’t stopped me from listening to older students and longtime fans who have slowly watched the decay of excellence that’s been Wake’s most visible revenue sports: football and basketball." is completely wrong in regards to football. We have never had excellence to decay in football, before Grobe we were the second most losing program in FBS just ahead of Kent St.

This doesn't had a G#@ D@#$ thing to do with Grobe. But, he will be in the cross hairs soon enough. LOWF is going to start holding people accountable for their actions, or lack their of.

This doesn't had a G#@ D@#$ thing to do with Grobe. But, he will be in the cross hairs soon enough. LOWF is going to start holding people accountable for their actions, or lack their of.

Ooh the crosshairs. So scary. Grobe is so afraid. Is this shit serious.

AD plants shouldn't use profanity. It's very unprofessional.

This crap is seriously comical. Unreal their are Wake grads who talk like this. Power Rangers. It's hilarious.

No shit, but the article was about Grobe and football and that is what I was references. And Grobe does not deserve the same treatment as [Redacted] as Grobe has actually accomplished something.

Back