• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State Post Game Thoughts

Games like last night illustrate how much better we are at passing under Manning than we were under Bz or Dino. We've especially gotten better at feeding the post and passing out of the post. I suspect that's something Danny knows a little bit about.

Devin's ability to pass out of the paint when double/triple-teamed is an underrated part of his game. Probably b/c he doesn't do it all that much, but still.

DT is the heart and soul of this team. He plays with more fire than anyone (even if he does scorch his own occasionally). Not sure who can take his place next year, maybe Crawford.

I think we need Crawford and Thomas on the floor together as much as possible for the remainder of the season.

Crawford's passes are simply amazing some of the time. Really the best passing guard we've had since Ish maybe, and probably a much better passer than Ish. His understanding of how to sag defenders toward him to get another guy open and his ability to whip passes one handed are really impressive, particularly for a freshman.

We really, really need to win the next 2 because after that we could play pretty good ball and still lose the 4 after that.

Before he is done, Bryant Crawford will be among the best we've had at Wake Forest.

It's certainly possible. His ability to hit the 3 has been a huge surprise and makes the rest of his game that much better.

Before he is done, Bryant Crawford will be among the best we've had at Wake Forest.

Off to a good start for sure. Bryant is one of only two frosh to average at least 12.5 ppg and 4.5 apg for the season. The other? I think you can all guess...his name rhymes with Ben Simmons.

Off to a good start for sure. Bryant is one of only two frosh to average at least 12.5 ppg and 4.5 apg for the season. The other? I think you can all guess...his name rhymes with Ben Simmons.

I'm sure Crawford is honored to be mentioned in the same sentence as the man, the myth, the legend, that is Ben Simmons.

Dejounte Murray for Washington is averaging 15.2 PPG and 4.5 APG. Still good to be one of three freshmen.

Dejounte Murray for Washington is averaging 15.2 PPG and 4.5 APG. Still good to be one of three freshmen.

Cory Alexander mentioned it during the broadcast. Must have looked up the stats before Murray played on Saturday to put him over 4.5 apg.

BTW, John Collins is averaging pretty much the same freshman stats as Eric Williams did as a frosh in '02-03. Only difference is that JC is doing it in about 5 fewer mins per game. He is also shooting it about 6% better from the field. Poor defense or not, he needs a few more mins per game with DT. They have shown the ability to work together and JC understands spacing enough to not clog it up for Devin. We need guys on the floor who can score and he's one of them. Dinos is great but I'd rather take the 60% 2 pt FGs early than rely on Dinos' 33% 3 pt attempts. Seems like Mitoglou would be a better spark plug off the bench when it's time to take Collins out.

We really need Hudson to stop shooting. When he does the garbage work he can be effective, but our offense goes in the toilet when he starts shooting. Way too many outside shots early in the shot clock. He's shooting 25% from the three and that's only that high b/c of the Arkansas game. If DM can get Devin to stop picking up technicals he can certainly teach Hudson to not shoot with more than 10 left on the shot clock.

Devin won the game for us with his play and demeanor. You could tell that Manning and he had talked this week and he never came close to acting out the entire game. On the one play where he probably SHOULD have complained a bit, he was stoic and just talking to the other ref as though they were splitting an ice tea on the back porch. Really proud of Devin and I think it speaks highly of Manning that he has made an impact on Devin's demeanor without quenching his fire to play hard.

Devin looked down and scratched his head when a close call went against him at crunch time ...Could be the most important positive of the game ..if it holds up.

We really need Hudson to stop shooting. When he does the garbage work he can be effective, but our offense goes in the toilet when he starts shooting. Way too many outside shots early in the shot clock. He's shooting 25% from the three and that's only that high b/c of the Arkansas game. If DM can get Devin to stop picking up technicals he can certainly teach Hudson to not shoot with more than 10 left on the shot clock.

Yeah, his outside shot has looked pretty bad so far this year, Manning needs to tell him he's not out there to be a 3 point threat.

Indeed. I'm okay with Hudson shooting a 3 that comes in the flow of the offense where he is spotting up for an open look as long as it's under 12 or so on the clock. Outside of BC, Dinos and MW, who combine to shoot 38% from 3, the rest of the team is shooting 19.5% from 3 pt range, just above half that of the former 3! Unfortunately, our list of shooters is quite limited and we'll need Hudson to make them from time to time as he is capable of 28-32% I think. But they must come with a good degree of discretion. Hopefully DM can impress this upon him in a positive fashion.

BTW, John Collins is averaging pretty much the same freshman stats as Eric Williams did as a frosh in '02-03. Only difference is that JC is doing it in about 5 fewer mins per game. He is also shooting it about 6% better from the field. Poor defense or not, he needs a few more mins per game with DT. They have shown the ability to work together and JC understands spacing enough to not clog it up for Devin. We need guys on the floor who can score and he's one of them. Dinos is great but I'd rather take the 60% 2 pt FGs early than rely on Dinos' 33% 3 pt attempts. Seems like Mitoglou would be a better spark plug off the bench when it's time to take Collins out.

On this same note, John Collins is 96th on the ESPN Insider NBA Draft board for this year. For relevance, Brice Johnson is 93, and Cat Barber is 98th. No other Deac is on the list.

On this same note, John Collins is 96th on the ESPN Insider NBA Draft board for this year. For relevance, Brice Johnson is 93, and Cat Barber is 98th. No other Deac is on the list.

And a position in 90's on that list probably gets the player an undrafted free agent camp invite/make good contract. He needs a few more years in school to get his position to 30 or better, which, with continued development, is not impossible.

Surprised Dinos isn't on there. 6-10 shooters usually attract some interest from NBA scouts.

And a position in 90's on that list probably gets the player an undrafted free agent camp invite/make good contract. He needs a few more years in school to get his position to 30 or better, which, with continued development, is not impossible.

Surprised Dinos isn't on there. 6-10 shooters usually attract some interest from NBA scouts.

Defense. He has none.

Back