• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State Post Game Thoughts

Can someone explain to me why bigs come out and "hedge" (I think is the term) on the smaller guards? Always seems to lead to a bunch of cheap fouls. I don't see it as much with DT as we did with Big E, but those fouls drive me crazy.

Haven't read down, but a better way to answer your question is to discuss pick and roll defense in general. I'll get to this if I get a chance. There are several different philosophies on how to handle a ball screen. Execution are more important than philosophy in my opinion.

After reading all of the threads concerning our basketball team and the coach, I'm just so thankful that we have so many experts here that will do a superior job after everyone realizes we have a coach that doesn't know what he is doing.:eek:

Most amazing things to see Devin do this year
1. finish effectively with right hand
2. look down at the ground and show no emotion after being called for a shooting foul that wasn't obvious
3. learn to go coast to coast with the body control to not get called for charging (while finishing with right hand as a bonus)

Dinos doesn't play No defense. He played no defense last year. Now he actually has been kind of effective on pick and roll defense, rebounds much more effectively and blocks a shot per game. Has his deficiencies but better strength and range.

Hudson shoots 31% from 3 for his career. Agree with observation above that being more selective on when to pull the trigger on those is all that's needed. Most look like they could go in.

Would like to see more mid-range FG attempts for Hudson.

Hudson provides the wonderful combination of poor shooting and poor shot selection

Surprised Dinos isn't on there. 6-10 shooters usually attract some interest from NBA scouts.

He will be and scouts definitely know he exists because a lot of folks knew him already from Greece.

Regardless of whether or not Dinos has the opportunity to get drafted, let alone crack an NBA rotation, dude is going to make a killing playing at the highest level overseas.

Some Cornelius Hudson stats:

Cornelius Hudson is currently shooting 26.2% from beyond the arc while attempting 4.2 threes per game.

This year, he has had two games (out of 10 games played) shooting over 25% from three.

If we elevate our expectations a bit with last year's larger sample size, Hudson shot over 33.3% 3FG from beyond the arc in just 12 games (out of 32 games played).

Hudson is an remarkably streaky shooter at his best and, at worst, a volume shooter who is barely shooting 30% on nearly 200 attempts for his career. There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest that he is a good shooter at this level and his developmental trajectory provides a pretty bleak picture at this stage. This could change, but it would be strange.

Hudson does have special athletic ability, however, and has demonstrated a knack for attacking the basket in his two years at Wake, both as a finisher and in his capacity to draw fouls. On a team with good, albeit streaky shooters, I just don't understand why he feels the need to throw up so many bad shots.

Last edited:
Right. His shot selection sucks which doesn't help his average any. His form isn't terrible though IMO, he doesn't lack for confidence and he can get his shot off (as opposed to MW.) If he doesn't improve over the course of this year there will be a nice opportunity for R Wash next year.

I love John Collins and think he will be star, but... A couple of times in last nights game I noticed him jogging back on defense when DT was already back and ready. I wonder if conditioning/motor may be limiting his minutes?

FWIW in DM's post game he said 'Collins played ok' when he was rattling off the superlatives for the team. And the way he said it was not in a good way.

Cornelius Hudson is currently shooting 26.2% from beyond the arc while attempting 4.2 threes per game.

This year, he has had two games (out of 10 games played) shooting over 25% from three.

If we elevate our expectations a bit with last year's larger sample size, Hudson shot over 33.3% 3FG from beyond the arc in just 12 games (out of 32 games played).

Hudson is an remarkably streaky shooter at his best and, at worst, a volume shooter who is barely shooting 30% on nearly 200 attempts for his career. There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest that he is a good shooter at this level and his developmental trajectory provides a pretty bleak picture at this stage. This could change, but it would be strange.

Hudson does have special athletic ability, however, and has demonstrated a knack for attacking the basket in his two years at Wake, both as a finisher and in his capacity to draw fouls. On a team with good, albeit streaky shooters, I just don't understand why he feels the need to throw up so many bad shots.

Reminds me of a young Josh Howard minus the defense.

This is the first thread I've read about last night's game, so maybe it was discussed elsewhere, but I found it unbelievable that we have the ball with an 8 point lead and two minutes to go and shoot in about 10 seconds (if I remember correctly, nice but risky pass to Devin for a score). Then, more incredibly, we come down the court with a 10 point lead and one minute to go and Crawford takes it right to the hole and misses a layup. Maybe burned 5 seconds off the shot clock. Am I crazy to think both of those plays are inexcusable? It's really difficult to have a 10 point lead with the ball with one minute to go and barely hang on, but that's what we did.

Eh, 8 point lead with 2 minutes... If you hold to the end of the shot clock and don't score fans complain that you "took the foot off the accelerator." No real complaint on a "risky pass" that led to a dunk.

Up 10 with 61 seconds left the layup attempt was pretty dumb. They still never had the ball with a chance to tie the game though, so not the end of the world.

I haven't seem him attack the basket much. I think he had a fastbreak dunk vs Duke and I recall a great finish in traffic in one of his first few games this season. However, I rarely see him take it to basket in our half-court offense. Was hoping he'd make a larger stride this year and I haven't seen it.

Eh, 8 point lead with 2 minutes... If you hold to the end of the shot clock and don't score fans complain that you "took the foot off the accelerator." No real complaint on a "risky pass" that led to a dunk.

Up 10 with 61 seconds left the layup attempt was pretty dumb. They still never had the ball with a chance to tie the game though, so not the end of the world.

Agree, not the end of the world in this case, but I do think it's really really bad mistake that will ultimately cost us a game if not corrected. I actually think we haven't done a very good job in end of 1st half situations either ( getting the ball with less than 30 seconds remaining and not taking the last shot).

It's hard to really criticize Wake for end game situations so far assuming the ultimate measure is results in close games.

It's hard to really criticize Wake for end game situations so far assuming the ultimate measure is results in close games.

Yeah, the end of games have been pretty good, it's just that some of those close end of game situations could've been avoided if we'd learn to step on throat when we get an opponent down instead of letting them back up off the mat.

Was I the only one who thought Devin's full-court pass with 2 seconds left was a bonehead move? Could've been picked off and given State a chance for a half court shot to tie. Super unlikely, I know, but still why give State any hope. Should've thrown the easy pass and forced State to foul or called a timeout if nothing was open. (Not sure if Wake had any timeouts left, but gonna guess and say they did given Manning's only called about 2 all year)

Is there an known reason why Moore didn't get back in the game after the first few minutes? He seemed to come strong out of the gate and then never got back on the floor.

Nah that was a fine pass. Better than having our guy panic after holding it for 4 secs and forcing a pass in bounds under their goal.

Back