• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State Post Game Thoughts

Can someone explain to me why bigs come out and "hedge" (I think is the term) on the smaller guards? Always seems to lead to a bunch of cheap fouls. I don't see it as much with DT as we did with Big E, but those fouls drive me crazy.

Can someone explain to me why bigs come out and "hedge" (I think is the term) on the smaller guards? Always seems to lead to a bunch of cheap fouls. I don't see it as much with DT as we did with Big E, but those fouls drive me crazy.

To my untrained eye, our hedges this year have made it difficult for teams to get their offense going until the shot clock is down to about 15-18.

I feel strangely confident with DT taking a rebound up the court and making the right decision. I know there have been a couple of TOs but it seems that we've gotten way more cheap points out of it.

How bout that Euro step?!

Hedging is the most common way to defend a pick and roll in man to man. If you don't hedge the guard has automatic penetration off the screen. The big slows down the guard temporarily so the defender can recover and the big runs back to his man.

I've always thought Dinos hedges about 2 seconds too long. Everyone else usually gets back normally, but Dinos makes me nervous on not rotating back to his big on the roll.

Very common misconception that no defense is played in the NBA. I usually follow up an answer like that with "when was the last time you watched an NBA game other than a highlight/passing glance"?

People who hold the opinion that there is no defense is the NBA are incredibly uninformed. NBA defenses in terms of scheme, personnel, and talent are infinitely better than NCAA defenses. Just look at how many players who dominated in college struggle in the NBA.

Very common misconception that no defense is played in the NBA. I usually follow up an answer like that with "when was the last time you watched an NBA game other than a highlight/passing glance"?

Not to mention a lot of the highlight dunks were generated by great defensive plays.

I love John Collins and think he will be star, but... A couple of times in last nights game I noticed him jogging back on defense when DT was already back and ready. I wonder if conditioning/motor may be limiting his minutes?

Basketball is a game of runs and we happened to have them at the right times. When you have the 3 point arc and now a 30 second shot clock, the runs are going to get more dramatic.

I love John Collins and think he will be star, but... A couple of times in last nights game I noticed him jogging back on defense when DT was already back and ready. I wonder if conditioning/motor may be limiting his minutes?

Very few have the motor level of DT, but this may be part of the explanation of Collins limited minutes. If he is not showing effort in practice, he isn't getting playing time. Manning has made it a point that hard work in practice gets you minutes in games.

I don't think motor is an issue for Collins, it's more his lack of strength, propensity to get into foul trouble, and poor defensive rotations that is limiting his minutes.

Not to mention he plays behind one of the best players in the ACC in Devin Thomas. He could certainly get on the court next to him, but it's not helping that they are both 4's in theory.

Wish we were a bit more effective down the final stretch. To be holding a 10 point lead w/ one minute left then needing a freshman to hit free throws w/ 6 seconds left to prevent a shot at a tie game is going to end up burning us down the road. Crab misses front end, Watson misses two & we don't get any stops adds up quickly.

This is the first thread I've read about last night's game, so maybe it was discussed elsewhere, but I found it unbelievable that we have the ball with an 8 point lead and two minutes to go and shoot in about 10 seconds (if I remember correctly, nice but risky pass to Devin for a score). Then, more incredibly, we come down the court with a 10 point lead and one minute to go and Crawford takes it right to the hole and misses a layup. Maybe burned 5 seconds off the shot clock. Am I crazy to think both of those plays are inexcusable? It's really difficult to have a 10 point lead with the ball with one minute to go and barely hang on, but that's what we did.

I don't think motor is an issue for Collins, it's more his lack of strength, propensity to get into foul trouble, and poor defensive rotations that is limiting his minutes.

Not to mention he plays behind one of the best players in the ACC in Devin Thomas. He could certainly get on the court next to him, but it's not helping that they are both 4's in theory.

Really looking forward to seeing Collins next year after a year of good strength training. I think both he and Crawford are going to be special and Moore has a lot of potential too.

Last edited:
Most amazing things to see Devin do this year
1. finish effectively with right hand
2. look down at the ground and show no emotion after being called for a shooting foul that wasn't obvious
3. learn to go coast to coast with the body control to not get called for charging (while finishing with right hand as a bonus)

Dinos doesn't play No defense. He played no defense last year. Now he actually has been kind of effective on pick and roll defense, rebounds much more effectively and blocks a shot per game. Has his deficiencies but better strength and range.

Hudson shoots 31% from 3 for his career. Agree with observation above that being more selective on when to pull the trigger on those is all that's needed. Most look like they could go in.

Back