• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Thread

I think the problem is the NBA guys are conditioned from NBA games to talk about a lot of nonsense. A 10 point lead is no big deal in the NBA, a 20 point first half lead usually has a team make a run.

In the NCAA the momentum can change on a play. Teams can't score for 5 minutes at a time. They just fail to grasp the shifts of momentum in the college game.

To make it worse they don't have enough good announcers to cover all the games and hide poor color commentators.

This is a good take. There's also a lot of random stuff for former NBA players to say about current NBA players in regular season games. They've watched these guys play hundreds of games and they themselves played in hundreds of games. They just don't have the personal knowledge of these players and their NCAA Tournament days were many many years ago. Grant Hill and Chris Webber should talk more about their tourney experience. They had very memorable runs.

Kentucky belongs in that class. Their KP ratings and other season-long metrics aren't as good but it takes a while with the freshmen sometimes

Yeah, I was just talking about top 4 seeds. WVU and Clemson are also clearly in the mix as 5s.

You know how many shitty teams/programs have made the Elite 8 since we last did? A lot. Even more when you look at Final Fours.

It makes you wonder if we are indeed cursed given that so many underwhelming programs luck into deep runs in the tournament.

Nevada and Loyola aren't that bad. Both top 40 KP teams, Nevada top 25. These aren't fluky ass mid majors

2004 tourney featured a lot of chaos. Unfortunately not much in our region (besides Manhattan beating UF, which certainly helped)

I actually think the seeding this year was far better than it has been in the past.

Going to Friday night's games in the East region - should be a lot of fun. I've never been to the Sweet 16 before.

I actually think the seeding this year was far better than it has been in the past.

Going to Friday night's games in the East region - should be a lot of fun. I've never been to the Sweet 16 before.

Signed,
All Wake Fans under 30

ncaa-goofy

Nevada and Loyola aren't that bad. Both top 40 KP teams, Nevada top 25. These aren't fluky ass mid majors

Nevada has at least 3-4 transfers from solid P5 teams. Guys that didn't transfer due to PT but due to issues with coaches getting fired or personality issues. Martin twins are really good.

Nah. Just a lot of evenness, and some massive chokejobs by UVa, Cincy and Mich St.

Kentucky belongs in that class. Their KP ratings and other season-long metrics aren't as good but it takes a while with the freshmen sometimes

True, thought same thing, thu UK fresh are finally gelling and playing well. Dangerous squad.

KY is "dangerous" because they have the easiest road to the Final Four I've seen.

Fun fact - All 5 starters on Nevada are transfers:

Martin brothers - NC State
Kendall Stephens - Purdue
Jordan Carolina - So. Illinois
Hallice Cooke - Oregon State and Iowa State

The Nevada Coach, Eric Musselman coached as an assistant for 6 NBA teams, 3 G League teams and he got the job at Nevada, at age 50, after being an assistant at LSU during the disastrous Johnny Jones' tenure. Just goes to show there is no one "right" way to recruit or to lead up to a college coaching job.

KY is "dangerous" because they have the easiest road to the Final Four I've seen.

Only equivalent or possibly easier one I remember was 2001 Michigan State -- 16 Alabama State, 9 Fresno State, 12 Gonzaga, 11 Temple.

Doesn't seem like there's been a tournament this crazy since the pod system was developed. Guess that didn't completely kill the possibility for an absurd tournament

How does having a clear path to the Final four make them any more dangerous ? Definitely more likely to reach the Final Four, but not really any more likely to beat whoever they might play out of the West than before.

talent is more spread out across teams and conferences than ever

no good teams, but creates more drama

Back