• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAF Coaching Carousel

Hmmm, who's going to Penn State?

Al Golden or James Franklin would be obvious candidates.

I think O'Brien is as good as gone. It'll be interesting to see if Penn State is willing to pay top $ given the perception of their bad football culture. USC, Texas and PSU open in one year with all coming off winning records. Franklin could turn Penn State into a giant with his recruiting ability.

Last edited:
So glad we took care of business early.

James Franklin is actually from PA and played college ball at a public uni in the state (East Stroudsburg).

Lol we have no idea who penn state will target they havent had a long track record lately

Ok. They just aren't a flashy program. He had his own rape problem this year too.

Penn State is pretty high up there in the college fball stratosphere but I doubt they pay really big money. Penn State botched a PSL program and their attendance has been down so I don't think they can afford to hire a boring coach when they have 110,000 seats to fill. They found O'Brien last time who has been great. They'd be silly to hire a boring, defensive minded coach with Hackenberg around for another 3 years. Franklin would be nuts to turn down PSU.

Penn State could easily fall into mediocrity

Penn State is pretty high up there in the college fball stratosphere but I doubt they pay really big money. Penn State botched a PSL program and their attendance has been down so I don't think they can afford to hire a boring coach when they have 110,000 seats to fill. They found O'Brien last time who has been great. They'd be silly to hire a boring, defensive minded coach with Hackenberg around for another 3 years. Franklin would be nuts to turn down PSU.

One thing to note is that they would get $6.5M from O'Brien's buyout so they will have money to throw at candidates.

Think about it this way...

After the Sandusky mess all players were able to transfer without penalty. This year PSU started the #1 QB recruit in his class, the #1 TE, #1 FB (changed to RB), #1 LB and an All American WR. No recruit was alive for PSU's last undefeated season but that place is still a huge draw. Hell, they just signed a 5* recruit this week even with the uncertainty surrounding O'Brien. They had a senile coach take them to multiple BCS games and were a couple plays away from championship games in the past 7 years.

It's still a top 10 job.

Back