• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAAT discussion (the end)

I’ve watched way too much college basketball In my life. I just think college basketball referees are awful in general and this is the ultimate example.

Pretty weird to bring OSU football into this thread, but I’m happy to talk Ryan Day/Justin Fields with you elsewhere!

Completely agree on college officiating being horrific, but there are far better hills to die on in support of that than this

And I should say basketball officiating really, NBA is also awful

So banging into a shooter's legs while he is in midair and hasn't released the shot yet is not a foul? Um, ok-

This is not what happened at all. Also, I’m pretty sure Guy didn’t even think he got fouled. Didn’t sell it at all. Pretty much any shooter typically falls down there to try to draw the foul.

But wow, you guys are right that this is an annoyingly weird tangent. Drinking since noon on the golf course is a bad look for Saturday night message board posting. Go Kupxho. Go Deacs.

Is the O/U for Monday gonna crack 100?

I don't ask for much, but please never let Chris Beard coach Duke.

Or even moreso UNC, though thankfully I don't think they'd go for him

I believe Chris Beard's ex-wife has custody of his kids and she lives near Lubbock. That's why he took the job in the first place. Because of that I think he's gonna be in Lubbock for a long time.

Yes it was and it was definitely a double dribble (which is seldom called). Nobody wanted the "War Eagles" to win except Chuck and the Auburn faithful fans.

Guy was fouled on the 3, they did miss the egregious double dribble but as that still shot shows, brown fouled Jerome multiple times prior to the double dribble.

This is not what happened at all. Also, I’m pretty sure Guy didn’t even think he got fouled. Didn’t sell it at all. Pretty much any shooter typically falls down there to try to draw the foul.

But wow, you guys are right that this is an annoyingly weird tangent. Drinking since noon on the golf course is a bad look for Saturday night message board posting. Go Kupxho. Go Deacs.

Drunk posting from the golf course to bitch about the refs. Wake Forest!

Your problem, Woody, is that you are espousing your opinion on how you think the rules should be. Many of us agree with your desire for the rules to be that way. But they aren't. They way the rules are written, it's a foul. Did you watch the Purdue-Tennessee game? Same scenario, same result. Stop arguing from weakness.

My favorite tigerswood argument from tonight is that it was an "anticipatory call" as if officials are excited to call a foul on a three pointer, a relatively rare event.

Even if this is the case, which I disagree with, it didn’t affect the shot at all. And I’m not buying any “player safety” garbage about allowing Guy to land. He landed just fine.

have you ever played basketball?

It was a foul. It is an example of most fouls that result in 3 free throws in basketball. Especially if aggressive defense has been played the entire game. It's a pisser but it's a foul.

Texas Tech is the best example I have ever seen of the defense played by Indiana in the early years under Bobby Knight. Just uncanny. I guess Chris Beard learned something in his ten years as Knight's assistant. That's defense. An absolute pleasure to watch. Somewhere BKF is smiling.

It was a foul. It is an example of most fouls that result in 3 free throws in basketball. Especially if aggressive defense has been played the entire game. It's a pisser but it's a foul.

Texas Tech is the best example I have ever seen of the defense played by Indiana in the early years under Bobby Knight. Just uncanny. I guess Chris Beard learned something in his ten years as Knight's assistant. That's defense. An absolute pleasure to watch. Somewhere BKF is smiling.

Those Knight teams playing defense were a sight to behold. Beautiful basketball; the way the game was meant to be played.

I stand by what I said. He closes his fist to signal the foul well before the minimal contact was made. My dad (Wake grad, adopted UVA fan) texted me that it happened and I agree. Anticipatory garbage call.

And a call that shouldn’t have even been possible after a blatant double dribble. Bet double dribbles will now be reviewable in the last 2 minutes starting next year (a la NFL PI due to Saints missed call).

Even if this is the case, which I disagree with, it didn’t affect the shot at all. And I’m not buying any “player safety” garbage about allowing Guy to land. He landed just fine.

lmtiEAs.jpg

1. Contact
2. Before the shot is released
3. Official does not have his fist clenched

Even after Guy lands, the official has not yet clenched his fist.

ySnFCAB.jpg

So now I understand what it's like to be a LA Rams fan.

The refs in the UVA game had mostly swallowed their whistles for the whole game, calling few fouls and letting a lot of contact go. And then those last 6 seconds. Yes, Jerome was grabbed before the double dribble, but again, the refs had been letting a lot go. The double dribble was clear. I was watching with several UVA fans, though only 1 of us noticed the double dribble live. So I can see how the refs missed it, but they absolutely missed it. As for the foul on Guy, yes, it was a foul that should be called in the 1st 39:50 of a game. But to me, it wasn't enough contact to call the foul in the last second of the game, especially considering how loosely the refs had officiated the game before that. (I'm a believer in not calling a foul in the last 10 seconds unless it's pretty obvious.) To a person, every UVA fan with whom I was watching the game believed Auburn was hosed. I've often accused UVA fans at games of being 1 of the whinier fan bases when it comes to complaining about the refs. In a 6 second span, they've lost any right to ever complain about a call again.

But I don't think we would have ever gotten to that point had Jerome not picked up his 3rd and 4th fouls in the span of like 1 minute. UVA was up I think 9 when he picked up his 4th, which was a bit ticky tack, but it wasn't a smart challenge when you have 3, and I think it was a frustration foul because he thought he had been fouled right before that. He's got to be smarter in that situation. Bennett was right to get him out of there, but he left him on the bench too long. He's their facilitator on offense and is normally the 1 with the ball in his hands late in the shot clock, and they became absolutely stagnant on offense when he went out.

And eff that Auburn kid for the Lefty Driesell signature choke move when Guy was on the line. I have a nephew at Auburn and will root for Auburn in football against the rest of the SEC, but I can't root for any team coached by Pearl.

As for Monday, take the 1.5 points and bet on TT. UVA, Michigan and MSU are all great defensive teams. But TT has been even better than those 3 teams in this tournament. I can't remotely root for a Knight protege, but I think they're taking UVA down on Monday.

Back