• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Push Lawnmower

deke83

Reaction score
Looking to buy a new push lawnmower as my 1989 Snapper is almost worn out. I am leaning towards a self- propelled model and thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions. Looking to spend no more than $400.

Toro personal pace. I bought one 9 years ago that still starts on the first try. My brother has had similar results win his 8 year old Personal Pace. I think they run around $350-375.

WFU71.. thanks for the feedback.

Baseball.. do not give up your day job to be a comedian.

I'm buying a house and will need a mower for a little bit this fall after mid October when I close. I want a simple push mower with side discharge. I do not want mulching, bagging, and no self propelled as the yard is really flat. I wouldn't mind spending some money on a good mower but want simple that will last.

i'll keep that in mind during my day job as a landscaper

Can't tell if serious, but those old Snappers really were sweet.

Mine would pull me across the yard. Much better than than the newer Toro I own now. It's fine, but I actually have to push it some even though it is supposedly "self-propelled."

Toro personal pace. I bought one 9 years ago that still starts on the first try. My brother has had similar results win his 8 year old Personal Pace. I think they run around $350-375.

Agreed. At least on the older models, you can adjust the personal pace to have a faster or slower top speed.

no not serious. but i have experience growing up in the midwest and snappers rule.

in this boat now, definitely doing self propelled would like to spend under 400. Will it have to be a 21inch? Any recs on side discharge vs bagger vs mulcher?

I got this one at the beginning of last summer and have been pleased with it so far.

If purchasing at Lowes you should go by the Post Office & pick up a change of address packet, as they most times have a 10% coupon for Lowes in them.

Just bought this after having a Toro for 10 years. Better product with the “All Wheel Drive” also a better bagging system. My Toro had front wheel drive and the pulling would eventually cause ruts in your normal mowing pattern, especially on hills. $339. I do miss the choke on the Toro but this mower starts in about three pulls.
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-L...el-Drive-3-in-1-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Mulching-

Just bought this after having a Toro for 10 years. Better product with the “All Wheel Drive” also a better bagging system. My Toro had front wheel drive and the pulling would eventually cause ruts in your normal mowing pattern, especially on hills. $339. I do miss the choke on the Toro but this mower starts in about three pulls.
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-L...el-Drive-3-in-1-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Mulching-

I have hills so was thinking Rear Wheel Drive.

I'd say the Personal Pace. They were using Tecumseh engines when this thread started. Use gasoline without ethanol if you can find it as the ethanol eats up the tubing and float.

BTW, my Toro has pretty much given up the ghost. The pull rope broke and one of the wheels is about to fall off. 13+ years is OK, IMO. I replaced it with the larger Ego battery operated, self-propelled mower (it was on sale, but still expensive).

Whatever you get, make sure it has a Honda engine.

I have a Husqvarva HU700f with a Honda engine and love it. Runs like a charm and is easy to start. I paid around $250 for mine...

WFU71 brought up another good point. The reason I got rid of my Toro was the chord breaks easily due to design and the rubbing of the rope. To make matters worse to replace the rope you have to take off the gas tank to get to the recoil to re-thread the pull start, or pay $60 in labor to have it done for you. Unless you have a really great set of tools this takes about an hour. I also think Toro’s wheels are POS and wear faster than I have ever seen on a mower, and again, not a cheap fix.

Back