• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Push Lawnmower

Welp, looks like I'm jumping in this thread - the two we inherited are pieces of crap. Small yard so probably don't need anything wild (self-propelled not necessary but I won't say no), have had good experiences with certain brands over 10 years ago but times have changed.

The house we've offered on comes with a 4 year old Troy Bilt self propelled with a Briggs engine. Should I dump my 15 year old Honda that hasn't given me a lick of trouble so I don't have to haul it to the country, or what? I literally know nothing about Troy Bilt, but know that Briggs makes good small engines.

After I post that I find out we have a 500 gift card to use at Sears so it looks like that model is out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The house we've offered on comes with a 4 year old Troy Bilt self propelled with a Briggs engine. Should I dump my 15 year old Honda that hasn't given me a lick of trouble so I don't have to haul it to the country, or what? I literally know nothing about Troy Bilt, but know that Briggs makes good small engines.

I'm looking for a new lawn mower too, and subscribe to Consumer Reports. Troy Bilt is among the more reliable brands. For performance, check engine size and torque. I used my neighbor's 190 cc Troy Bilt mower and liked it.

For those who have to use Sears due to gift card or something, Sears brands like Craftsman or Kenmore are just rebadged national brands. You can tell which ones are Troy Bilts, etc.

Since I last bought a lawn mower, they have started making the nose out of plastic. I hate plastic and fear it will break easily. Anyone had one of these for a while that can comment on their durability?

Everything that I've ever bought that is Sears/Craftsman is complete crap. The self-propelled mechanism on mine went out about a month ago. For now, it's a push mower, but was looking at a Husquvarna, though after reading this thread, will check out Troy Bilt.

Honda is ceasing lawn mower manufacturing at the end of the year and they are getting hard to find. Are any of the gas powered alaternates out there like Toro, Troy bilt worth a crap?

My Honda is close to 10 years old and needs some work done to the drive so trying to figure out best option.

I've had Hondas and Craftsman. Haven't had issues with either. They last forever or until you go over a giant rock with them.

With this last mower, I've used the kind of gas you buy at Home Depot (TrueFuel in the silver cans?) for them, which I think is just gas without ethanol, and it always starts easy. After winter I have to give it a few pulls, but not nearly as many as I used to with the regular gas from the station.

curious why you're committed to grass

we use an electric mower and I'm happy with it -- it's lighter and mows just as well

I've got a Greenworks battery mower. Does the trick for me and it's super easy to charge/use/mow.

I had a Ryobi battery powered mower from Home Depot. The thing runs fine but the deck is a piece of junk an fell apart after 6 months.

Well, since my mower runs just fine and I've had it for a while and perhaps before the electric mower craze kicked in, I have no need to go electric. Besides, I'm skeptical that it would be worth it. My mower sits in a garage that gets to be 90+ degrees in the summer so I'm not sure that charge would hold. I'm not particularly good at anticipating a mow and would just leave it plugged in, which is worse for the battery life too.

Went to a quality synthetic grass in front yard for house in FL a few years ago and have never looked back.

curious why you're committed to grass

we use an electric mower and I'm happy with it -- it's lighter and mows just as well

I have a Ryobi electric and love it. Only time I don't is when I let the grass go for more than a week (vacation, etc) and then it struggles to cut well and burns thru the battery quicker.

Well, since my mower runs just fine and I've had it for a while and perhaps before the electric mower craze kicked in, I have no need to go electric. Besides, I'm skeptical that it would be worth it. My mower sits in a garage that gets to be 90+ degrees in the summer so I'm not sure that charge would hold. I'm not particularly good at anticipating a mow and would just leave it plugged in, which is worse for the battery life too.
yeah, i wouldn't necessarily switch from a working gas mower to a new mower, but if you're buying new I'd definitely check out electric

as a bonus, it's so much quieter and less obnoxious

Back