• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Push Lawnmower

Ego electric mower is fantastic. Need multiple batteries though.. I have 3 and I went through 5 total drains between mowing and trimming yesterday. The grass was really high. Usually it takes 3.

My old toro front (belt driven) self propelled mulching mower has been great.

Not sure what I’ll get when it dies but probably will look at electric…do they come in self propelled mulching mowers?

Neve mind…Google says yes.

So with electric is sharpening the blade all the maintenance needed?

yeah, i wouldn't necessarily switch from a working gas mower to a new mower, but if you're buying new I'd definitely check out electric

as a bonus, it's so much quieter and less obnoxious

I have officially reached the age where I enjoy the whole ritual of mowing grass, to include the noise. I think the noise is more bothersome to neighbors who sleep in, and since I have a little kid, I am no longer one of those people and officially don't give a shit about them (besides, you better mow the lawn early in Texas or not at all). I have also become one of those dads who will just sit and stare at the yard and admire my mowing handiwork with my hands on my hips.

Honestly, I think I would look at an old fashioned manual mower if I had to get another one. At least for the current yard. I use batteries for my weed eater, and even my existing good battery usually can't get through the entire yard before it poops out.

Last edited:
Ego electric mower is fantastic. Need multiple batteries though.. I have 3 and I went through 5 total drains between mowing and trimming yesterday. The grass was really high. Usually it takes 3.

I am year 2 of my E-Go and love it. I bought a spare battery and need it only about half the time for my 1/3 acre lot. It depends on how much I bag (stop-start drains the battery) and how high the grass is. Don't buy an under-powered mower. You'll be happier. Love how quiet it is. Inside you cannot hear the mower running.

I have a gas riding mower; will likely get a battery one when it poops out. All my other yard tools are battery and on the Lowe's/Kobalt platform: push mower, blower, weed eater, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, chain saw and pole saw. So yes I'm all-in on battery, and pleased with all of them vs. gas.

I have 3/4 quarters of an acre to cut and some of it is sloped. I am not sure I want to go with an electric mower that would require several batteries.

I think the only thing wrong with the self propulsion is a bad belt but we'll see. I can't believe Honda is getting out of the lawn business but I guess all the environmental regs are curtailing their profit.

I bought a cheap non self propelled store brand mower with a B&S engine when I bought my house years ago and I think it’ll outlast me as long as I take care of the engine and replace stuff as needed. Already replaced the original rusted out deck.

My ego mower makes it through my yard on one battery. Only have 0.3 acre though

I am year 2 of my E-Go and love it. I bought a spare battery and need it only about half the time for my 1/3 acre lot. It depends on how much I bag (stop-start drains the battery) and how high the grass is. Don't buy an under-powered mower. You'll be happier. Love how quiet it is. Inside you cannot hear the mower running.
Have an Ego trimmer and like it, but it seems that the power really drops drops around the 60% battery life level, so I'll often stop around that time to recharge (need to get a second battery). Will probably go with the Ego mower when it's time to replace the gas mower - is that an issue with the mower?

I've got a Greenworks battery mower. Does the trick for me and it's super easy to charge/use/mow.
+1 for Greenworks. I've got their mower, weedeater, blower, edger, hedge trimmer, pole saw, and probably something else I'm forgetting. I can usually get the mowing (~.3 acres) done on 1 battery and the weedeating/blowing done on 2-4 batteries (the blower uses a ton of energy relative to everything else). I much prefer dealing with dying batteries than gasoline, 2 stroke mix, the sound/smell of internal combustion engines, and small engine repair, but having a bunch of spare batteries pre-charged is key to the electric experience.

Have an Ego trimmer and like it, but it seems that the power really drops drops around the 60% battery life level, so I'll often stop around that time to recharge (need to get a second battery). Will probably go with the Ego mower when it's time to replace the gas mower - is that an issue with the mower?
Have the Ego mower, trimmer, leaf blower, and pole saw. Never have seen an issue with the power dropping.

If I don't bag (start/stop several times), one battery will mow my .3 acres. The other factor is grass height or how low I choose to mow - I have zoysia and it likes to be cut close. The thickness of zoysia and cutting it low can drain the battery, but even then I am not using even half of the second battery. When buying, get one with lots of power so it will go through thick/tall grass else you'll regret it wrt battery life. In year 2, I have not yet had an issue with battery life draining quickly at around 60%.

This thread has me thinking about my lawn and in general which tools work the best.
I'm big on having a nice edge along my driveway, and to-date have used a string trimmer and admittedly it looks fine. But wondering if anyone has upgraded to a battery edger from a string trimmer, and is the difference in appearance noticeable enough for me to spring for one at around $100 or so.

brad likes his yard artificial so he can just drain his trailer sewage straight onto it

Back