• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New York City Trip

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Hey Pit:

its my mine and my wife's 10 year aniversary this year and we are thinking a trip to NYC in December should be the call. Am I gonna be better off buying a vacation package like from Southwest Airlines, Kayak, another website, etc. or buying my own air and perhaps just getting a place off VRBO in Greenwich Village or some other neighborhood?

Money is not that much of a concern but anywhere I can save some on flights/accomodations leaves me with more bread to spend in the most expensive city on the planet.

I am pretty sure Oslo is the most expensive city.

But anyway, I booked through Southwest for the Music City bowl and saved a TON of money. I got my flight and the Loewes hotel for $700 all in. The Loewes rooms were going to for $400+ at that time. I would do some searching around and find the best deal.

Also, if you don't mind not knowing the name of the hotel, priceline works really well for booking hotels. I usually got to hotwire and see what they are requesting for a 4 star hotel. I then go to priceline and knock 20% off of the hotwire price.

I would also recommend staying in the city. Part of the fun of NYC is walking everywhere. You don't want to deal with a car.

Tokyo is the most expensive city on the planet.

Where are y'all travelling from? My parents like to take the train up from Virginia. It's much more enjoyable than flying, but unfortunately isn't feasible from a lot of places. I use VRBO all the time for staying at the beach, but haven't ever looked into it for a vacation in a major city. So, I'm really not much help.

Wow, Copenhagen has really taken a dive. It used to be top 5 (and was when I was there).

I have to say- Geneva might be the most overpriced city in history. SUPER expensive and not a lot of quality for what you are paying.

Wow, Copenhagen has really taken a dive. It used to be top 5 (and was when I was there).

I have to say- Geneva might be the most overpriced city in history. SUPER expensive and not a lot of quality for what you are paying.

I think you are paying for being able to legally launder money. That is worth a lot to some people.

Yes, it has lots of art studios and cool bars/restaurants. May be a little further to tourist options than staying in midtown but it is a fun neighborhood. Yuppies love it.

I would hit up the Frying Pan one night if you're in Chelsea

Stay anywhere other than Times Square/midtown. Unless you are into TGIF and Madame Tussaud's....

Hey Pit:
just getting a place off VRBO in Greenwich Village or some other neighborhood?

Money is not that much of a concern but anywhere I can save some on flights/accomodations leaves me with more bread to spend in the most expensive city on the planet.

If you want to stay on the cheap(er), then you could look into a short term sublet in a beautiful 'hood like Brooklyn Heights or the Upper East Side or something. They're oftentimes cheaper than hotels, much nicer, and in places where there really aren't hotels.

I think you are paying for being able to legally launder money. That is worth a lot to some people.

i think that pretty much nails it. every city in switzerland is crazy expensive to do anything in and the quality is relatively low, but nothing like cleaning up those questionable gained earnings.

zurich on the other hand is incredible

This guy should be able to help you out.

orig-14340281.jpg

If you are going to New York you need to try and get tickets to the book of Mormon. It is a hilarious show and one of the best that I have seen.

If you are going to New York you need to try and get tickets to the book of Mormon. It is a hilarious show and one of the best that I have seen.

good luck with that. The wait time is closed to 8 months right now for decently priced tickets.

Back