• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New York City Trip

I don't think I'd want to stay in chelsea or Greenwich Village unless I was planning on going to an event there or doing a lot of shoopping in those neighborhoods or something. You could hit up The Highline park and catch the Staten Island Ferry pretty easily though.

Stay in Midtown if you're getting a hotel. We often crash at a friend's place, wihch is infinitely cheaper, but doesn't really work for an anniversary trip.

I don't think I'd want to stay in chelsea or Greenwich Village unless I was planning on going to an event there or doing a lot of shoopping in those neighborhoods or something. You could hit up The Highline park and catch the Staten Island Ferry pretty easily though.

Stay in Midtown if you're getting a hotel. We often crash at a friend's place, wihch is infinitely cheaper, but doesn't really work for an anniversary trip.

The reason I asked about Chelsea is when I did some searching the place below popped up with a pretty good price. I have used the site several times now and not been disappointed.

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/320900

$200/night for a place in Chelsea with no amenities that's going to require a cab of subway ride to get anywhere that would be considered a typical tourist destination? I'd definitely rather pay $300 or so and stay in Midtown.

The reason I asked about Chelsea is when I did some searching the place below popped up with a pretty good price. I have used the site several times now and not been disappointed.

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/320900

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Chelsea is a great option if you're looking to feel like you're living in the city for the weekend. There are some great restaurants and a ton of nice areas to wander to / through within walking distance. Plus its an easy subway ride to Time Square and Central Park if you want to hit up the touristy areas. (I'm also not a fan of Midtown. Its for work, not play.)

I've been to NY several times and done the whole tourist thing. Its ok but just like any other tourist crap with all the masses around all the time doing the same thing. I'd rather hang places like Chelsea, Chinatown, Little Italy, Soho, Tribeca, etc. and see some different stuff. The gay thing is no big deal as they are everywhere and harmless. Like avalon said, its an easy subway ride to whichever touristy thing we wanted to do.

Why are you so high on Midtown, HP? Midtown sucks. It's central, but it's not like you'd be out of the way in SoHo, the Village, Chelsea, etc.

that's because germans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>frogs

Why are you so high on Midtown, HP? Midtown sucks. It's central, but it's not like you'd be out of the way in SoHo, the Village, Chelsea, etc.

My trips usually involve a Yankees game and it's good to be near the 6 train. Being that far south or on the west side makes it a pain in the ass. Plus, we load up on Starwood points staying at Le Parker Meridien or either of the W's on Lexington. Central location gets me everything I need.

My trips usually involve a Yankees game and it's good to be near the 6 train. Being that far south or on the west side makes it a pain in the ass. Plus, we load up on Starwood points staying at Le Parker Meridien or either of the W's on Lexington. Central location gets me everything I need.

I really hate staying in Midtown, but agree that the convenience is good depending on what you want to do. A couple of weeks ago I was up there and stayed in the Flatiron District (26th and B'way) and the location was perfect. It is midway between the village and midtown and was easy to catch a cab or walk anywhere we wanted.

bumping this for my trip this weekend, staying on the Upper East Side near 97th/Lexington. Anything near that area that I absolutely must do as far as bars/food/whatever?

bumping this for my trip this weekend, staying on the Upper East Side near 97th/Lexington. Anything near that area that I absolutely must do as far as bars/food/whatever?

Patsy's Pizza is up in East Harlem at 118th and 1st. Place is legit. Go in the daytime.

EDIT: Very important FYI if you decide to go... it's cash only.

Last edited:

Buckets used to live up that way.

I grew up in new Jersey (although 3hrs from NYC, more like Delaware) and have never been to NYC. Most people find that odd. Being poor sucks.

Back